--- Log opened Thu Sep 05 00:00:30 2002
--- Day changed Thu Sep 05 2002
01:04 -!- yawn_ [~owned@bremaiva.worldonline.cz] has joined #rocklinux
01:04 -!- yawn_ is now known as tomik_
01:04 < tomik_> hell o
01:04 < huebi> hi tomik_
01:04 < tomik_> need help with alsa ;(
01:05 < huebi> 0.9.0rc3?
01:07 < tomik_> i have alsa support compiled in kernel (modules) and oss completely removed
01:07 < tomik_> modules are loaded, i can see /dev/sound/dsp|mixer|audio
01:07 < tomik_> but xmms doesn't play anything
01:08 < huebi> can you test it with madplay or mpg123?
01:08 < tomik_> or mplayer?
01:08 < huebi> yes, or mplayer
01:08 < tomik_> yeah, wait
01:09 < tomik_> nothing :(
01:10 < huebi> If you can play an audio cd the sound card should be initialised right
01:11 < tomik_> sound card is ac97 coced (via8322blablah)
01:12 < tomik_> PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 00:07.5
01:12 < tomik_> Sep  5 01:02:15 iris kernel: PCI: Sharing IRQ 10 with 00:0a.0
01:12 < huebi> tomik: I have no idea how to solve that.
01:13 < tomik_> huebi: ok :(
01:13 < tomik_> this is strange...
01:14 < tomik_> maybe problem with alsa -> oss compatibilty
01:15 < huebi> alsa is teh 2nd last broken pkg in 1.5
01:15 < tomik_> i heaven't alsa package
01:16 < tomik_> i see this in rock alsa.init ... alsactl?
01:17 < tomik_> i'll check it
01:20 < huebi> I downgrade alsa to version 0.9.0rc2 again. That did work IIRC
01:20 < huebi> It's also not fixed in 1.7 (0.9.0rc3)
01:20 < huebi> good night.
01:21 < tomik_> ok, nite
01:43 -!- tomik_ [~owned@bremaiva.worldonline.cz] has quit ("you know, geeks are at their best late at night...")
02:56 -!- owl [~bla@B5166.pppool.de] has quit ("Client Exiting")
03:09 -!- capchaos [~capchaos@pD9048F31.dip.t-dialin.net] has quit ("Lost terminal")
03:15 -!- Mike1 [~mike@odin.informatica.co.cr] has joined #rocklinux
03:57 -!- Mike1 [~mike@odin.informatica.co.cr] has left #rocklinux ("Client Exiting")
04:12 -!- Ge0rG [georg@op-co.de] has quit ("Irssi - the client of smart and beautiful people")
05:41 -!- Netsplit sterling.freenode.net <-> irc.freenode.net quits: clifford
05:44 -!- d3mian [~demian@208.165.55.133] has joined #rocklinux
05:44 < d3mian> hi all
05:45 -!- Netsplit over, joins: clifford
06:00 < d3mian> ummm
07:53 -!- [anders]_ is now known as [anders]
07:54 -!- clifford_ [~clifford@M091P031.dipool.highway.telekom.at] has joined #rocklinux
07:54 -!- clifford [~clifford@M092P026.dipool.highway.telekom.at] has quit (Read error: 113 (No route to host))
07:59 < huebi> moin
08:31 -!- chrisime [~chrisime@pD9590A6B.dip.t-dialin.net] has quit (Read error: 110 (Connection timed out))
09:06 -!- Netsplit sterling.freenode.net <-> irc.freenode.net quits: coldie, blindcoder
09:06 -!- Netsplit over, joins: blindcoder, coldie
09:14 < [anders]> meeeeow... morning everyone.. (/me @ work now)
09:15 < [anders]> moin huebi
09:16 < huebi> moin [anders] ;-)
09:17 < huebi> Today I'm mostly on the linux* issue again. I also want to add a XFS-kernel
09:17 < [anders]> If you put XFS in the kernel, can we have EXT3 switched on per default as well? :)
09:18 < huebi> EXT3 will be switched of by default also if XFS is not added.
09:19 < [anders]> arrf.. /me will have to make a script then that switches it on/off and include it in the build..
09:20 < huebi> Arrg s/of/on/
09:20 < [anders]> aahh.. :-D
09:20 < [anders]> excellent! :)
09:20 < huebi> *g* a little bit too early
09:21 < huebi> There must be the choice for the file system I want to use, of course.
09:24 < [anders]> Well, if ext3, ext2, XFS and JFS is available, people can choose.. :)
09:25 < huebi> [anders]: and reiserfs (I don't like it because of the crappy fstools it has. I kicked RH in 2000 because they did not offerit)
09:26 < [anders]> RFS is alright, I have been using it on LVM for about 1.5 years now, not a single problem..
09:27 < [anders]> I agree though, the tools could do with a facelift. RFS 4.0 should be interesting though because of the plugin modules for things like encryption etc..
09:30 < huebi> Yes, I read about that. I also have some very good experiencec with RFS.
09:31 < [anders]> I suppose it depends what you use the filesystems for.. For the OS filesystems and ROCK build filesystems, ext3 or XFS might be the best choice. For a webserver filesystem, RFS could be the best..
09:33 < huebi> [anders]: RFS is the best choice for a news server and perhaps for as ROCK build filesystems because of the many small files.
09:33 < [anders]> huebi: so the NFS and RFS issues has been completely resolved now? There used to be problems if you exported RFS filesystems via NFS..
09:35 < huebi> [anders]: I don't know. I use RFS on my NFS server for a long time now and had no problems at all
09:35 < huebi> huebi@ella:~$ mount
09:35 < huebi> /dev/md/0 on /home type reiserfs (rw)
09:36 < huebi> RAID-0 below it
09:37 * [anders] contemplating using the linux raid-5 code and then sticking LVM on top of that.. 1x100GB+3x80GB in a box.. 20GB of the 100GB disk for OS things like /usr, /var, / and /boot. Then raid-5 the other 80GB with the 3 other 80GB disks..
09:38 < [anders]> that'd be a reasonably neat little setup, but perhaps a little too vulnerable if the 100GB disk dies..
09:39 < [anders]> Could always use 2x20GB for OS etc, and 4x80GB for the rest.. but that requires a hefty PC case..
09:40 < huebi> sounds nice. Make a backup of the 20GB for your system on a regular basis
09:40 < [anders]> RAID-1 across the 2x20GB and RAID-5 across the 4x80GB.. Would probably become a nice little server (smb/smtp/nntp/wwwproxy) for a company if cfg'd correctly..
09:41 < huebi> [anders]: For a company that's ok.
09:41 < [anders]> Perhaps I should check with companies if they would be interested in such a server running Rock..
09:41 < [anders]> and what they would pay for it, with and without support.. ;-)
09:44 < huebi> get an other deliverer for the hardware, I mean don't sell it without having full support for the hardware from an other side. The best would be to make money with the installation and the support. But backup the hardware support. Hardware support just costs time and money.
09:45 < huebi> By the box with 3 years support, sell it without support and make a support contract with the customer
09:45 < [anders]> yeah.. I would have to get someone else to build the box to my specification.. Then I'd set it up with the OS and the RAID configuration. Then I'd go and install it at the customer..
09:46 < [anders]> huebi: sneaky! But I like it! :)
09:48 < huebi> I worked in a shop where it was done sometimes like this. But you can also sell the box with the warranty. The customer will come to you and wants you to fix it. They want to pay you for the support and you get the hardware replaced for nothing.
09:53 < huebi> I just added nload to base
09:53 < [anders]> huebi: Hmm.. I suppose what the customer wants is a single point of contact. They don't want to have to go to one place to get the hardware fixed, another for the webserver and a third if LVM goes kaputt..
09:54 < huebi> [anders]: ACK. And there is the point you make money
09:54 < huebi> Single point of service - hehe
09:56 < [anders]> huebi: Yeah.. I have to think about it.. Perhaps if work does not continue here, I will think harder about it.. There is no money to be made on hardware at the moment, the money is in services..
09:57 < [anders]> in fact, most of the money is probably to be made in keeping things just ticking over for the customer and picking the right things to implement for them. Customers get impressed by servers that doesn't go down , they just stand in a corner for a few years, then gets upgraded because the hardware is not quick enough..
09:57 < [anders]> huebi: did you get anywhere with the Gnome2 ISO by the way?
10:01 < huebi> [anders]: I burned the iso but now I'm very motivated to get samba and cups into base, too. Then I want to do something on linux and then I have the time to install the Gome2 iso
10:02 < [anders]> huebi: okay.. If you do get cups into base, then read the notes on cups.org well, apperantly some things was removed from cups in version 1.1.15 and now updated ghostscript is needed..
10:03 < [anders]> or something to that effect..
10:03 < huebi> [anders]: A friend of mine sells accesories for Kawasaki  to Kawasaki Germany. After he leared chinese he gets the stuff for such low prices that nobody in Europe can make it for the same money.
10:04 < [anders]> huebi: I am not learning chinese.. ;-)
10:04 < huebi> [anders]: Yes, I read (how is this written in past?) that before. And I like cups to be that easy.
10:04 < [anders]> But I do get your point.. I bet your friend is having a good time.. :)
10:05 < [anders]> 'read' is both present, past and future. It's pronounciation and context that tells you which one they mean..
10:05 < huebi> [anders]: Not the really good times because he often makes too much money with it a gets disapointed customers.
10:06 < [anders]> huebi: it is a fine line to walk with how much to charge customers..
10:06 < huebi> [anders]: Thank you. I wrote a program to learn the irregular verbs about 22 years ago.
10:07 -!- capchaos [~capchaos@pD90485A9.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #rocklinux
10:08 < [anders]> huebi: np... :)
10:09 * [anders] is trying to figure out which defect out of about 35 is causing the debugger to fail.. the code is working, but the debugger cannot attach.. :-/ Strip defects until I get a working build is not the ideal solution, but the only one that I can get working right now..
10:11 < huebi> [anders]: and you can find the line with a very sofisticated communication. And never say anything than the truth. Else better say nothing. If you still have a friend after you made the bussiness _and_ you made the money you wanted to make this was a good bussiness
10:13 < [anders]> huebi: you are absolutely correct there my friend.. :)
10:14 < huebi> [anders]: thank you. ;-)
10:17 < huebi> [anders]: There is a modified, older version of ghostscript needed for cups. It seems to be easy
10:19 < [anders]> good stuff.. if a backdated version of something is needed, can a comment be added in the .ps file to stop people updating to latest version ?
10:24 < huebi> I thought about that, too because I often upgrade some packages after I have downgraded them by myself
10:25 < huebi> I test a comment now
10:27 < huebi> seems to work. great
10:27 < [anders]> good stuff.. :) A warning in the .pz file is probably better than lots of comments in the .desc or .conf as few people read them..
10:28 < huebi> ACK
10:33 * [anders] <- afk due to work. starting to get somewhere with these blasted defect now..
10:33 < huebi> *jumpsaround* Perfect!
10:33 < huebi> [anders]: Have fun with it ;-)
11:02 < huebi> Now it's time for PIZZA *g*
11:14 -!- capchaos [~capchaos@pD90485A9.dip.t-dialin.net] has quit ("leaving")
11:21 -!- tomik [~tomik@213.235.132.36] has quit (Read error: 113 (No route to host))
11:54 -!- clifford_ is now known as clifford
11:56 < rxr> hi clifford
11:56 < clifford> hi rxr.
11:57 < rxr> clifford: I start to do some "auto build depending packages and dependecies" work. Or do you have some of this already ?
11:57 < clifford> no. but I thought already about generating a makefile from our dependency database. That should be very easy to implement.
11:58 < rxr> urghs.
11:58 < rxr> I thought about a normal ROCK-style build script that generates the list of packages and do a Build-Pkg for each.
11:58 < rxr> why do you want to mess arround with Makefiles ?
11:58 < clifford> (I also want to use auto-generated makefiles for analysing cross-dependencies since make generates warnings about them)
12:00 < clifford> The idea is to tell make that e.g. /var/adm/packages/m4 depends on /var/adm/packages/gcc and /var/adm/packages/gcc is generated with ./scripts/Build-Pkg gcc.
12:01 < rxr> hm
12:01 < rxr> but why should we use another complex tool (in this case make) - when it can be done with a simple shell-script ?
12:03 < clifford> I'd use awk for that. Shell has shown to be too slow for that.
12:03 < clifford> (See ./scripts/Create-PkgQueue for an example)
12:04 < huebi> hi
12:04 < clifford> hi.
12:04 < huebi> clifford: What is the difference in speed?
12:05 < clifford> I don't remember. But if you don't optimize the code its about a minute agains a few seconds on my system.
12:05 < huebi> ok
12:05 < clifford> huebi: And you _don't_ want to read optimized shell code!
12:06 < huebi> clifford: Yes, that's right. ;-)
12:08 < rxr> clifford: I do a test implementation (for the build-dependencies and depending packages) in bash.
12:08 < rxr> I can convert it into awk later ...
12:10 < rxr> clifford: btw. Create-CD could be strated next week or so ...
12:11 < clifford> that's good. I'll do a test-install of the current snapshot today using the old install disks.
12:11 < clifford> I should have some time next week to continue my work on the new install disks.
12:15 -!- simon [43a5de764b@62.140.27.4] has quit ("Getting off stoned server - dircproxy 1.0.3")
12:21 -!- Ge0rG [georg@op-co.de] has joined #rocklinux
12:35 -!- capchaos [~capchaos@pD90485A9.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #rocklinux
12:36 -!- simon [95b07f119c@62.140.27.4] has joined #rocklinux
12:49 -!- tomik [~tomik@bremaiva.worldonline.cz] has joined #rocklinux
12:49 -!- tomik [~tomik@bremaiva.worldonline.cz] has quit (Client Quit)
12:50 < praenti> hoi
12:50 < huebi> hi praenti
13:14 -!- tomik [~tomik@bremaiva.worldonline.cz] has joined #rocklinux
13:14 -!- tomik [~tomik@bremaiva.worldonline.cz] has quit (Client Quit)
13:15 -!- thalerim [~tobrit@p50813B37.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #rocklinux
13:15 < thalerim> moin all
13:16 < huebi> hi thalerim
13:16 < thalerim> hey huebi ...
13:16 -!- thalerim is now known as thaly^bwi
13:16 < thaly^bwi> ich bin vorgestern zufällig auf der bwi seiteg landet, der geht noch bis 1. november
13:17 < thaly^bwi> und in der zweiten Runde kann man ein Ibook gewinnen, deswegen mach ich da jetzt mit *g*
13:17 < thaly^bwi> hab eine aufgabe schon am  selben tag gelöst ;)
13:17 < huebi> thaly^bwi: Viel erfolg
13:18 -!- tomik [~tomik@bremaiva.worldonline.cz] has joined #rocklinux
13:34 -!- capchaos [~capchaos@pD90485A9.dip.t-dialin.net] has quit (Read error: 60 (Operation timed out))
13:41 < rxr> clifford: still here ?
13:46 < rxr> most package depend on apache-vanilla in the last snap. Since the package seems to be removed from the sf tree - could you run a sed "s/ apache-vanilla//" over all the .cache files and release a new snap ? ;-)
14:27 < clifford> rxr: yup. I'll remove that deps.
14:30 < rxr> clifford: the deps still seem to be wrong in some packages.
14:31 < rxr> I currently do a "Build "vim" and all dependencies of it" and it is qute a long list to build ...
14:34 < clifford> yes I know.
14:34 < clifford> that's what I try to explain all the time ..
14:34 < rxr> what do you try to eplain? That we need to fix some packages ?
14:35 < clifford> no - that almost every package depends on ~100 other packages.
14:35 < rxr> wie meinst du das ?
14:36 < clifford> kennst du scripts/dep_db.txt ?
14:37 < rxr> ich kenne scripts/Check-Dep oder so ...
14:37 < rxr> +s
14:37 < rxr> When is the "scripts/dep_db.txt" generated ?
14:37 < clifford> sieh' dir mal ./scripts/Create-DepDB an.
14:38 < clifford> at the end of the reference build - using Create-DepDB
14:38 < rxr> ah
14:39 < clifford> the 3rd field is the number of packages which do depend directly or inderectly on this package.
14:40 < clifford> It's used to determinate job priorities during a cluster build.
14:40 < clifford> (to make sure that packages which are needed by many other packages are build earlier than other packages)
14:41 < rxr> and the following package names are a direct copy of the ones in the .cache file ?
14:41 < clifford> yes. to speed up Create-PkgQueue.
14:41 < rxr> ah
14:42 < clifford> (It's not exceptable to parse a few hundret *.cache file for every Create-PkgQueue run)
14:43 < rxr> During my "Build all for vim" even this packages are build:
14:43 < rxr> python
14:43 < rxr> qt
14:43 < rxr> readline
14:43 < rxr> recode
14:43 < rxr> rpm
14:43 < rxr> sane-backends
14:43 < rxr> sdl
14:43 < rxr> nvidia
14:43 < rxr> ogg-vorbis
14:43 < rxr> openjade
14:43 < rxr> ...
14:43 < clifford> You do follow dependencies in the "wrong direction".
14:43 < rxr> I'll check how this packages get into the "needed list" of my script ...
14:43 < rxr> no !
14:44 < clifford> read scripts/Create-DepDB.
14:44 < rxr> I use the .cache file of vim - and recusively follow all its dependencies ...
14:45 < clifford> yes. that's wrong.
14:45 < rxr> huh ?
14:45 < rxr> I do not want to build all that depends on "vim"
14:45 < clifford> no.
14:45 < rxr> I want to build all "that is needed by vim" ...
14:45 < rxr> vim: 14529 0 apache-vanilla bash binutils diffutils emacs fileutils findutils gcc2 gdbm glib1 glibc gpm grep gtk+1 ld.so lesstif linux-src make man ncurses net-tools openssl perl5 python readline sed sh-utils sysfiles tar termcap textutils xemacs xfree86 zlib
14:46 < rxr> ^- are the direct needs
14:46 < rxr> And I also search all of the deps needed by the deps listed above ...
14:46 < clifford> You want to build all packages which are built before the package you want to build in a build target and which are needed to build the package you want to build.
14:49 * clifford is doing ./scripts/Create-AutoPatch 'sed "/^.DEP/ s/ apache-vanilla//"' package/*/*/*.cache
14:51 < clifford> rxr: E.g. check the dependency list in package/base/perl5/perl5.cache
14:52 < rxr> and ?
14:52 < rxr> xine xpdf ...
14:52 < clifford> Do you think perl realy does depend on 80 packages?
14:52 < rxr> divx4linux esound
14:52 < rxr> No!
14:52 < rxr> Sure - we need to fix some packages ....
14:53 < clifford> every package which depends on perl now depends on this 80 packages.
14:53 < rxr> and perl5 might be the culprit that my "build vim" script build 200 packages ...
14:53 < clifford> vim depends on perl.
14:54 < rxr> clifford: do you think about switching to "hardcoded" deps - or do you think we can fix this packages to have correct dependencies ?
14:54 < clifford> Every package which depends on perl depends on almost _every_ package on the system.
14:54 < rolla> re
14:54 < clifford> rxr: I'll be back in a few minutes ..
14:54 < rxr> ok
14:55 < rxr> But I
14:55 < rxr> 'll leave at 16.15, too ...
14:57 < rxr> hm - I removed the perl.cache file - but the list of packages needed for a vim build is not that much better - more packages have a rather full .cache file ...
15:42 -!- clifford [~clifford@M091P031.dipool.highway.telekom.at] has quit (Remote closed the connection)
15:42 -!- clifford [~clifford@M126P030.dipool.highway.telekom.at] has joined #rocklinux
15:42 < clifford> hi again.
15:43 < rxr> hi
15:43 * clifford reading your script.
15:46 < clifford> rxr: please have a look at scripts/Create-UpdList for an example how to check if a package has been changed.
15:46 < clifford> Look for "ROCK Linux Package Source Checksum"
15:48 < clifford> besides that and the problem we talked about before I went ago your script looks ok for me.
15:52 < clifford> rxr: Try that:
15:52 < clifford> root@localhost:/rock-linux# mkdir depdemo ; cd depdemo
15:52 < clifford> root@localhost:/rock-linux/depdemo# gawk -F "[: ]+" '{ $2=":"; $3=""; print; print "\ttouch " $1 "\n"; }' < ../scripts/dep_db.txt > Makefile
15:52 < clifford> root@localhost:/rock-linux/depdemo# make vim
16:01 -!- chrisime [~chrisime@pD9E50977.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #rocklinux
16:03 < rxr> clifford: I'll do more work this afternoon ...
16:03 < rxr> thanks for your comments ...
16:04 < rxr> cu
16:04 * clifford hatte gerade einen sehr seltsamen anruf.
16:04 < clifford> rxr: moment!
16:04 < clifford> ich wollte dir noch was erklaeren:
16:04 < clifford> noch da?
16:05 < clifford> ... schade.
16:05 < huebi> clifford: Merkwuerdiger Anruf?
16:06 < clifford> Es hat mich grad jemand angerufen der wissen wollte ob meine Unterlagen zum BufferOverflow talk am letzten CCC online verfuegbar sind.
16:06 < clifford> ..normalerweise schreibt man bei sowas doch ein mail?!
16:07 < huebi> Hmmm. Wirklich merkwuerdig.
16:07 < clifford> Naja - er war jedenfalls recht nett und ich hab' ihm natuerlich die URL gegeben.
16:07 < clifford> schade das der rxr weg ist.
16:07 < huebi> Anrufen ist dirkter, laesst den Gegenueber nicht so leicht nein sagen.
16:09 < clifford> na wenn das so ist ..
16:13 < clifford> http://www.rocklinux.org/rolling/devel/page1.html
16:21 < clifford> (huebi hat auch grad' 'nen merkwuerdigen anruf bekommen.  ;-)
16:53 < chrisime> hi huebi
16:53 < huebi> moin chrisime
16:54 < chrisime> huebi: hast du nen konqueror?
16:54 < chrisime> hab grad keinen installiert
16:54 < huebi> jo
16:55 < chrisime> ok
16:55 < chrisime> browse mal www.gnome-de.org
16:55 < chrisime> und sag ob das ding darstellungsfehler hat
16:56 < chrisime> ich trau konqueror net
16:56 < chrisime> da is opera besser
16:56 < huebi> alles ok
16:57 < chrisime> echt
16:57 < chrisime> nn4 geht auf jeden fall nicht
16:57 < chrisime> sollten da nen hinweis machen
16:57 < chrisime> extensiver css-gebrauch
16:57 < chrisime> schau mal alle seiten durch bitte
16:57 < huebi> Noe, da habe ich wichtigeres zu tun.
16:58 * huebi ist am alsa fixen
16:58 < chrisime> alsa
16:58 < chrisime> schon wieder kaputt>
17:00 < huebi> 0.9.0rc3 geht nicht.
17:00 < huebi> 0.9.0rc2 funktioniert
17:00 -!- owl [~mail-spam@B58ae.pppool.de] has joined #rocklinux
17:00 < owl> hi
17:00 < huebi> moin owl
17:00 < owl> hi huebi. wie geht's?
17:00 < huebi> gut.
17:00 < chrisime> huebi: so n mist
17:01 < huebi> isdn4k-utils [v3.2p1 <- das noch fixen und 1.5.19 ist fertig
17:07 < chrisime> was da neu dann
17:07 < chrisime> bzw. 1.6 <-- wann (when it's done ;-) )
17:10 < huebi> chrisime: http://www.cvs.rocklinux.de/cvs/viewcvs.cgi/rock-1.5/changelog?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup <- all documented
17:28 < d3mian> hi all
17:29 < owl> hi d3mian
17:29 < huebi> moin d3mian
17:34 -!- owl [~mail-spam@B58ae.pppool.de] has quit ("reconnect")
17:38 -!- owl [~mail-spam@B58ae.pppool.de] has joined #rocklinux
17:39 < d3mian> wb owl
17:47 -!- owl [~mail-spam@B58ae.pppool.de] has quit ("brb")
17:50 < d3mian> cya
17:51 -!- owl [~mail-spam@B58ae.pppool.de] has joined #rocklinux
18:00 -!- term_emu [~pm@p50819C13.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #rocklinux
18:00 -!- owl [~mail-spam@B58ae.pppool.de] has quit (Remote closed the connection)
18:01 -!- owl [~mail-spam@B58ae.pppool.de] has joined #rocklinux
18:06 -!- bluefire [~bluefire@pD9522DC8.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #rocklinux
18:10 -!- owl [~mail-spam@B58ae.pppool.de] has quit (Killed (NickServ (Nickname Enforcement)))
18:11 -!- owl_ [~mail-spam@B58ae.pppool.de] has joined #rocklinux
18:11 -!- owl [~mail-spam@B58ae.pppool.de] has joined #rocklinux
18:14 -!- owl_ [~mail-spam@B58ae.pppool.de] has quit (Remote closed the connection)
18:14 -!- owl [~mail-spam@B58ae.pppool.de] has quit (Remote closed the connection)
18:26 -!- owl [~mail-spam@B58ae.pppool.de] has joined #rocklinux
19:55 -!- bluefire [~bluefire@pD9522DC8.dip.t-dialin.net] has quit (Read error: 113 (No route to host))
19:55 -!- bluefire [~bluefire@pD9522DC8.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #rocklinux
20:07 < rolla> cd /win2
20:08 < rolla> is 3.5G enough diskspace to bild rock 1.5.18 ? base+opt ?
21:16 -!- owl [~mail-spam@B58ae.pppool.de] has quit (Remote closed the connection)
21:18 -!- owl [~mail-spam@B58ae.pppool.de] has joined #rocklinux
21:18 < owl> re
21:20 < rolla> re
21:21 -!- owl [~mail-spam@B58ae.pppool.de] has quit (Remote closed the connection)
21:22 -!- owl [~mail-spam@B58ae.pppool.de] has joined #rocklinux
21:29 -!- tsa [~tsa@p5082A93A.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #rocklinux
21:29 < tsa> tag
21:29 < owl> hi tsa
21:31 < rolla> re tsa
21:32 < tsa> hi owly, rolla
21:46 < rolla> tsa : is 3.5G enough diskspace to build 1.5.18 base+opt ?
21:46 < tsa> yes, should be ok.
21:47 < rolla> okay :)
21:53 -!- _Tw33K__ [~yourmom@grissom-37.nmt.edu] has joined #rocklinux
21:55 < _Tw33K__> im trying to install rock , but im having probelms, when i run the install shell and it starts it says no space on the device. i was thinking i messed up on the mounting...or maybe not turning the swapon for the swap parttition
21:55 < _Tw33K__> i dont know how to turn the swapon
21:55 < thaly^bwi> what have you done so far?
21:56 -!- thaly^bwi is now known as thalerim
21:56 < _Tw33K__> i made a swap part, and a linux one
21:56 < _Tw33K__> i have scsi btw, but it hasnt been a prob
21:57 < rolla> did you mount them ?
21:57 < _Tw33K__> well i mounted the cdrom to /src ?
21:57 < thalerim> only one single partition?
21:57 < _Tw33K__> i dont know how to mount the file systems
21:58 < _Tw33K__> 2 partitions
21:58 < thalerim> did you mkfs already?
21:58 < _Tw33K__> no...ill see what i can do with that
21:59 < thalerim> just run a mkfs <device>
21:59 < thalerim> on all data-partitions (not the swap!)
21:59 < _Tw33K__> ok
22:00 < _Tw33K__> ok, it says the /dev/discs/disc1/disc is entire device, not just one partition, proceed ?
22:01 < _Tw33K__> cuz i have 2, native & swap, so do them both ?
22:01 < thalerim> no not disc, you must run it on the partition
22:01 < _Tw33K__> how do i specify a partition
22:01 < thalerim> e.g. /dev/scsi/bus0/host0/target0/lun0/part1
22:02 < _Tw33K__> ohhhhh, got it...lemme see
22:02 < thalerim> please verify ... i wrote it outta my memory
22:03 < _Tw33K__> its, /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target1/part2, for mine
22:03 < _Tw33K__> i have a dual channel scsi, so it also has a host1 w/ a plextor
22:03 < _Tw33K__> ok, so let me see
22:04 < thalerim> now you must mount it on /trg
22:04 < thalerim> and maybe swapon the swap-partition
22:06 < thalerim> please mount devfs and procfs to /trg/dev, or /trg/proc respectively, as well
22:08 < _Tw33K__> ok, mounting it on /trg worked i think, the only thing in /trg is lost+found
22:08 -!- owl [~mail-spam@B58ae.pppool.de] has quit (Remote closed the connection)
22:08 < thalerim> that's ok
22:08 < _Tw33K__> what are devfs and procfs
22:09 < thalerim> speudo-filesystems
22:09 < thalerim> mount none /trg/proc -t procfs
22:09 < thalerim> mount none /trg/dev -t devfs
22:09 < _Tw33K__> why none
22:09 < _Tw33K__> cuz there is no dir ?
22:10 < thalerim> dir is the /trg/{dev,proc}
22:10 < thalerim> there's no device
22:10 < _Tw33K__> oh. i see
22:10 < thalerim> dunno if speudo is an english word, isn't itß
22:10 < thalerim> ?
22:10 < thalerim> speudo
22:10 < _Tw33K__> im not sure
22:10 < thalerim> pseudo
22:11 < thalerim> arghs, damn keyboard
22:11 < _Tw33K__> i have to make the /trg/proc dir first right ?
22:11 < _Tw33K__> before i mount
22:12 < thalerim> like procfs... it's not a reald filesystem that lays on a device. it's a layer for the kernel to store kernel, system and hardware related information
22:12 < thalerim> yes, do so
22:12 < rolla> _Tw33K__ have you read the INSTALL docs on the cd ?
22:12 < _Tw33K__> yes, i have them printed infront of me
22:12 < _Tw33K__> im moving along...slowly
22:13 < _Tw33K__> it says, fs type procfs no supported by kernel
22:14 < rolla> yeah it was the same for me when I first installed rock
22:14 < thalerim> _Tw33K__: sorry, it must be mount none /trg/proc -t proc
22:14 < _Tw33K__> nice
22:14 < _Tw33K__> worked
22:14 < thalerim> now devfs
22:14 < _Tw33K__> rock on
22:15 < _Tw33K__> now swapon right...
22:15 < thalerim> yes ... then run the install programm. It has a nice menu driven package selector
22:16 * thalerim hopes he didn't forget anything ...
22:18 -!- owl [~mail-spam@B58ae.pppool.de] has joined #rocklinux
22:18 < owl> re
22:18 < thalerim> moin owl
22:19 < owl> hi thalerim
22:19 < _Tw33K__> it says, unable to find swap-space signature, invalid arg. , i checked the id and made sure it was part2
22:19 < _Tw33K__> i didnt mkfs anything on the swap part though
22:20 < thalerim> mh
22:20 < thalerim> what fdisk type is it?
22:22 < _Tw33K__> my, swap is, partition 2, with ID 82, linux swap
22:22 < _Tw33K__> is that what u meant ?
22:22 < rolla> did you do a mkswap and then swapon
22:24 < thalerim> ah yeah .. that it's ... mkswap
22:26 < _Tw33K__> well ill be damned
22:26 < _Tw33K__> sorry guys, this is my first linux install, i dont know very commands, except the ones i look for in this book
22:27 < rolla> no problem
22:27 < term_emu> goodnight
22:27 -!- term_emu [~pm@p50819C13.dip.t-dialin.net] has quit ("zz")
22:28 < _Tw33K__> oh yeah !!! its installing
22:29 < huebi> moin ;-)
22:29 < huebi> _Tw33K__: congatulations
22:29 < huebi> hi owl
22:29 < huebi> tach tsa
22:30 -!- LocalHero [LocalHero@alexander.lunds.lu.se] has joined #rocklinux
22:30 < LocalHero> Hi everybody whaz up?
22:30 < huebi> hi LocalHero
22:31 < huebi> LocalHero: can I get a ssh account on iso.rocklinux.de? I want to upload a new iso tomorrow.
22:32 < thalerim> huebi: will 1.5.19 include my menu-patch?
22:33 < huebi> thalerim: Yes, of course
22:34 < LocalHero> huebi, ahh great, some new isos :)
22:35 < LocalHero> Wow, i have began to monitor the trafic on iso.rocklinux.de. Its fun to se that only this mounth i have transfered 32.72 GB
22:36 < _Tw33K__> wow.
22:37 < thalerim> LocalHero: you mean august?
22:37 -!- clifford_ [~clifford@M091P012.dipool.highway.telekom.at] has joined #rocklinux
22:38 < thalerim> re cliff
22:39 -!- clifford [~clifford@M126P030.dipool.highway.telekom.at] has quit (Read error: 113 (No route to host))
22:40 -!- Freak [freak@p50838D46.dip.t-dialin.net] has quit (Read error: 60 (Operation timed out))
22:40 < _Tw33K__> mst = mountain standard time ?
22:41 < _Tw33K__> whats , mst7mdt ?
22:41 < LocalHero> thalerim, nope for september
22:42 < thalerim> who the - is downloading all these isos ????
22:42 < LocalHero> Hmm, does anybody have old EDO memory they want to get rid off? It would be nice with some more on the iso arcive :)
22:43 < LocalHero> thalerim, well, look at oggy.lunds.lu.se and you get the stats, look at proftpd stats
22:43 < LocalHero> thalerim, from all over the world :)
22:43 < thalerim> i had to throw 16mb away 'cause it was defect.. i would have needed it as well... 32mb isn't very much at all
22:44 < LocalHero> thalerim, well i have at least 48 :)
22:45 < _Tw33K__> what is the GPM setup ?
22:46 < thalerim> it'll configure gpm
22:46 < thalerim> ;)
22:46 < thalerim> with gpm you're able to use the mouse in the console
22:46 < huebi> LocalHero: I'll have a look at my old RAM. But I think it's mostly FPM
22:47 < _Tw33K__> um, my mouse is USB, it only has COM and  PS/2
22:48 < _Tw33K__> is there a way around, or do i need a converter
22:48 < LocalHero> huebi, hmm, maybe i should look for a new motherboard so that i get some more speed on the thing :)
22:48 < LocalHero> upps that should have been to thalerim :)
22:49 < thalerim> _Tw33K__: dunno if gpm supports usb mice.. you want to g00gle
22:50 < LocalHero> huebi, oki, now you have some disc-space :)
22:50 < LocalHero> huebi, and all the isos are marked so that you can change the description and all that
22:51 < huebi> LocalHero: Many thanks for that ;-)
22:51 < LocalHero> huebi, no problem, just want to help :)
22:51 -!- Freak [freak@pD9E39957.dip.t-dialin.net] has joined #rocklinux
22:52 < huebi> _Tw33K__: just enter in gpm configuration what you want. You should compile a new kernel for you system with usb support _before_ you reboot.
22:55 < LocalHero> got to go, cya all
22:55 < huebi> cu LocalHero
22:55 < huebi> LocalHero: and many thanks for your effort
22:55 < huebi> ;-)
22:56 < _Tw33K__> whats the difference between lba32-mode & linear-mode ?
22:56 < huebi> _Tw33K__: How big is you disk?
22:56 -!- LocalHero [LocalHero@alexander.lunds.lu.se] has quit ()
22:56 < _Tw33K__> 36gb
22:56 < _Tw33K__> GB
22:57 < huebi> _Tw33K__: you need lba32
22:57 < _Tw33K__> what do they mean ?
23:00 < huebi> _Tw33K__: read this: /usr/share/doc/packages/lilo/README /usr/share/doc/packages/lilo/doc/README
23:01 < _Tw33K__> ok, does installing libsafe cause problems ?
23:01 < huebi> I never used it.
23:05 < _Tw33K__> what is ALSA ?
23:05 < rolla> sounds stuff I belive
23:05 < rolla> it is crap
23:06 < huebi> _Tw33K__: http://www.alsa-project.org/
23:07 < huebi> rolla: You asked a few hours befor how much diskspace you ned for 1.5.18 to compile. It measureg about 3750 MB
23:07 < rolla> thanks huebi
23:07 < _Tw33K__> thnx
23:07 < tomik> huebi: problem with alsa solved
23:07 < rolla> man that sucks I have 3725MB free
23:07 < huebi> rolla: should be in the Build-All script
23:07 < rolla> ;)
23:08 < tomik> huebi: there is different pcm control behaviour
23:08 < huebi> rolla: Could be enough. It was a little bit below 3750MB
23:08 < huebi> hi tomik ;-)
23:09 < rolla> I guess I will see
23:09 < huebi> tomik: can you tell me more?
23:09 < huebi> tomik: with alsa 0.9.0rc3?
23:10 < tomik> huebi: try to run some mixer control utility and play around with volume setting
23:11 < huebi> tomik: Ok, I'll do that later. I hope it's logarythmic and not linear as normal
23:13 -!- clifford_ [~clifford@M091P012.dipool.highway.telekom.at] has quit (Read error: 113 (No route to host))
23:15 < _Tw33K__> shit, i got stuck on the alsa-setup cuz it messed up the list, and i pressed ctr-z and it stopped the insall
23:15 < _Tw33K__> do i have to start over all again ?
23:15 < rolla> yup
23:15 < huebi> no
23:15 < rolla> welcome to the fun of alsa
23:15 < huebi> rolla: *g*
23:16 < huebi> _Tw33K__: chrtrg
23:16 < rolla> I hate alsa
23:16 < _Tw33K__> how do i continue the install
23:16 < _Tw33K__> root@(none) ?
23:16 < huebi> _Tw33K__: ctrl-c ; chrtrg
23:17 < huebi> /etc/setup.d/general setup
23:17 < _Tw33K__> ohhh,  nice thank you.
23:20 < _Tw33K__> after language, fatal: file './CVS' is a dir
23:20 < huebi> _Tw33K__: Ignore it, please
23:20 < _Tw33K__> then goes to promp root@(none):/etc/setup.d
23:20 < huebi> cat /etc/VERSION please
23:21 < tsa> *gaehn*
23:21 < _Tw33K__> 1.5.16 ia32
23:21 < huebi> huhu tsa
23:21 -!- owl [~mail-spam@B58ae.pppool.de] has quit ("reboot. brb.")
23:21 < tsa> huhu huebi
23:21 < huebi> _Tw33K__: it's fixed in 1.5.18
23:21 < tsa> huebi: hm..will livingston keine kohle haben? /me hat immer noch keine rechnung.. ;)
23:22 < huebi> tsa: hmm. no coffee
23:22 < _Tw33K__> k, well i did the general setup already, so i dont have to do it again right...the one it messed up on was the alsa
23:22 < tsa> huebi: ack.
23:23 < huebi> tsa: doch, Ich kann nur nicht drucken. *g* Erst war der Drucker platt und heute Nachmittag habe ich erst CUPS-1.1.15 in Rocklinux integriert
23:23 < tsa> hehe...
23:23 * tsa ist mit lprng zufrieden..
23:24 < huebi> _Tw33K__: just have a look in /etc/setup.d Yhere is also the alsa script.
23:24 < _Tw33K__> im running it
23:25 < huebi> tsa: I tried to configure lprng 3.8.10. It didn't work and I'm to lazy to read the docs. Cups do I know well.
23:26 < tsa> hehe
23:26 < _Tw33K__> ok...so just reboot afeter all that ?
23:26 < huebi> _Tw33K__: have you compiled a USB aware kernel?
23:27 < _Tw33K__> no
23:27 < huebi> then your mouse won't work at all
23:29 < _Tw33K__> could you point me in the right direction
23:29 < huebi> _Tw33K__: how long do you use linux?
23:30 < huebi> _Tw33K__: cd /usr/src/linux - as usual.
23:30 < huebi> make menuconfig
23:30 < huebi> choose the right configuration
23:30 < huebi> make dep
23:30 < huebi> make install
23:30 < huebi> make modules
23:31 < huebi> make modules_install
23:31 < huebi> reboot
23:31 < _Tw33K__> first time using linux on my computer
23:31 < huebi> _Tw33K__: Ah. Ok ;-)
23:32 < _Tw33K__> im fairly new, my friends tell me to put rock...i was gonna put redhat, lol
23:32 < huebi> _Tw33K__: This will be a big help for you: http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/Kernel-HOWTO.html
23:32 < _Tw33K__> thanks
23:34 < huebi> _Tw33K__: ROCK Linux is intended to be a distribution build kit for advanced users and sysadmins. When you start with allmost no knowledge it is quite hard to get it right.
23:35 -!- owl [~mail-spam@B58ae.pppool.de] has joined #rocklinux
23:35 < owl> hi
23:35 < owl> huebi??
23:35 < _Tw33K__> i was always told learn stick instead of automatic
23:35 < thalerim> hops, hops ...
23:35 < thalerim> @ owl
23:35 < owl> thalerim: ???
23:36 < huebi> owl:
23:36 < huebi> ja?
23:36 < thalerim> owl: du kommst ständig rein und raus gehopst ;)
23:36 < huebi> _Tw33K__: Tha's very right IMHO
23:37 < owl> huebi: i guess the ./scripts/Download --> ext-config has a problem...
23:37 < owl> thalerim: ja. kann ich nix fuer... entweder mein X stuerzt ab und reisst mein system mit, oder mein X-chat stuerzt ab oder aber sonstiges.
23:38 < huebi> _Tw33K__: RatHead, SuXe Mandrake have modified there distribution very badly. There is not very much Linux inside any more
23:38 < huebi> owl: What does happen?
23:39 < owl> huebi: join #trashhere --> i will post the output
23:40 < thalerim> no
23:40 < thalerim> go #aol
23:40 < thalerim> *g*
23:40 < huebi> thalerim: ack
23:42 -!- thalerim [~tobrit@p50813B37.dip.t-dialin.net] has quit ("gn8 all")
23:43 < _Tw33K__> in make dep, what does dep stand for
23:44 < tsa> dependencies ..
23:45 < _Tw33K__> thnx
23:47 < _Tw33K__> thanks guys for all the help...my friend wants his laptop back, heh
23:48 < huebi> have fun _Tw33K__
23:48 < huebi> _Tw33K__: you're welcome
23:49 -!- _Tw33K__ [~yourmom@grissom-37.nmt.edu] has quit ("Rehab is for quitters")
23:55 < tsa> hm...
23:55 < tsa> interesse und engagiert..das ist ne menge wert, wenn man mit rock anfangen will..
23:59 < huebi> tsa: das stimmt
--- Log closed Fri Sep 06 00:00:48 2002