[00:34] Captain (~Captain@d142-59-231-163.abhsia.telus.net) left irc: "Leaving"
[00:40] Captain (~Captain@d142-59-231-163.abhsia.telus.net) joined #rocklinux.
[00:55] Captain (~Captain@d142-59-231-163.abhsia.telus.net) left irc: "Leaving"
[02:10] Captain (~Captain@d142-59-231-163.abhsia.telus.net) joined #rocklinux.
[04:06] blindcod1r (~blindcode@dsl-082-082-102-217.arcor-ip.net) joined #rocklinux.
[04:06] blindcoder (~blindcode@dsl-082-082-095-041.arcor-ip.net) left irc: Nick collision from services.
[04:06] Nick change: blindcod1r -> blindcoder
[05:39] ojh (~omer@67-42-51-80.eugn.qwest.net) joined #rocklinux.
[05:45] ojh (~omer@67-42-51-80.eugn.qwest.net) left #rocklinux.
[06:05] ojh (~omer@67-42-51-80.eugn.qwest.net) joined #rocklinux.
[06:20] <ojh> I need some help understanding how to create '.gem' files. I want to be able to save builds of programs before attempting to upgrade the descriptions, so I can rool back if a newly compiled version is too unstable or something.
[06:21] <ojh> When I try the 'rocket mkpkg <pkg>' command allI get is the help for rocket.
[06:26] ojh (~omer@67-42-51-80.eugn.qwest.net) left #rocklinux.
[07:33] <fake> ojh: read it... it's rocket create_gem
[07:43] <hannes_> moin!
[07:44] <hannes_> fake: a lot of patches from stf =)
[07:44] Nick change: BoS|afk -> BoS
[07:45] <hannes_> and also the tk thingie *sing*
[07:45] <hannes_> ok, have to leave now
[07:45] <hannes_> bye!
[07:47] <fake> hi hannes_
[08:02] <hannes_> rehi
[08:06] <fake> ree
[08:26] lewellyn (~mjl@lewellyn.silver.supporter.pdpc) joined #rocklinux.
[08:26] <lewellyn> hoi all.
[08:26] <hannes_> hi lewellyn 
[08:26] <lewellyn> quick question as i have to head home in a moment: is there a package for netscape 4?
[08:27] <fake> hi lewellyn 
[08:27] <fake> no
[08:27] <lewellyn> the *$#@*@$ binary on the netscape ftp requires libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2
[08:28] <lewellyn> bah. ok.
[08:28] <lewellyn> i can always run it under windows in vmware :)
[08:28] <hannes_> lewellyn: mozilla?
[08:28] <fake> lewellyn: you can try to symlink over your libstdc++-whatever
[08:29] <lewellyn> hannes_: no. netscape :)
[08:29] <lewellyn> 4.79 or 4.8
[08:29] <lewellyn> fake: i tried ;)
[08:29] <lewellyn> /opt/netscape/netscape: relocation error: /opt/netscape/netscape: undefined symbol: __builtin_new
[08:30] Action: lewellyn avoids an anti-linux rant right now ;)
[08:30] <fake> lewellyn: you can also build an older gcc addititonally to your running one
[08:30] <lewellyn> fake: that takes time. and i have to leave to catch the last train in a couple minutes :)
[08:30] <fake> lewellyn: make that an anti-netsacpe-rant ;)
[08:30] <lewellyn> um. gcc? not libc?
[08:30] <lewellyn> no. linux
[08:30] <fake> no, libstdc++ is part of gcc
[08:30] <lewellyn> don't get me started ;)
[08:30] <lewellyn> hrm. ok.
[08:31] <lewellyn> is there a package for ancient gcc? ;)
[08:31] <fake> gcc2, yes. but take care
[08:31] <fake> you'll have to activate it in the config before emerging it
[08:31] <fake> GCC options =>
[08:31] <lewellyn> eh. i'll ask about it tomorrow then
[08:31] <fake> okay
[08:32] <lewellyn> don't have the time to deal with it right now. and if it breaks, i'll have had a night's sleep to forget about it.
[08:32] <lewellyn> besides, it would likely need to compile. and i'm recompiling a kernel right now.
[08:32] Action: lewellyn looks at the clock
[08:32] <lewellyn> should be done by morning...
[08:33] <fake> building it on an i386?
[08:33] <lewellyn> ya
[08:33] <lewellyn> p3/500
[08:33] <lewellyn> dual-processor, but rock's kernels don't have smp support :(
[08:33] <fake> a whole day for a kernel??
[08:33] <lewellyn> um. it's 2330 here
[08:33] <fake> the generic kernel has smp support, iirc
[08:33] <fake> oh - it's 08:30 AM here ;)
[08:34] <lewellyn> none of the ones i have installed at the moment seem to
[08:34] Action: fake one day ahead of lewellyn
[08:34] <lewellyn> 2.4.25-rock, 2.6.4-rock, 2.6.7-rock
[08:34] <fake> 2.0 or 2.1 ?
[08:34] <lewellyn> 2.0
[08:34] <hannes_> fake: nontheless you are in a completly other timezone
[08:34] <lewellyn> no discs for 2.1 yet, afaik
[08:35] Action: lewellyn is always a day late and a dollar short :)
[08:35] <fake> i haven't used 2.0 on my smp for long...
[08:35] <lewellyn> the default kernel also doesn't have multihead support for the matrox g400 ;)
[08:35] <fake> you only need that for console?
[08:36] Action: lewellyn prefers console, when available
[08:36] <lewellyn> anyway. train in 25 mins, and i have 30 of walking in the rain to get to it
[08:36] <lewellyn> gotta run
[08:36] Action: lewellyn waves
[08:36] <lewellyn> thanks. back tomorrow :)
[08:36] lewellyn (~mjl@lewellyn.silver.supporter.pdpc) left irc: "Lost terminal"
[08:37] <hannes_> i don't think he'll get the train =)
[08:37] Action: hannes_ is a real "pessemist" today
[08:42] <fake> why?
[08:42] <hannes_> don't know...
[08:42] <hannes_> just looking forward going home at the weekend
[08:42] <hannes_> and it's such a long time till weekend
[08:43] <fake> you'll be here?
[08:43] <hannes_> weekend, yep
[08:43] <fake> and i'll be in vienna... oh well.
[08:43] <hannes_> :/
[08:43] netrunne1 (~andreas@pD9E8DE48.dip0.t-ipconnect.de) joined #rocklinux.
[08:44] <fake> hi netrunne1 
[08:44] netrunner (~andreas@pD9E8E2EE.dip0.t-ipconnect.de) left irc: Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)
[08:44] Nick change: netrunne1 -> netrunner
[08:44] <netrunner> moin :)
[08:44] <hannes_> huhu netrunner 
[08:44] <netrunner> uahh work :/(
[08:45] <fake> netrunner: what's up with the magazine that wanted  livecd?
[08:46] <fake> *a
[08:46] <blindcoder> moin
[08:46] <hannes_> hi blindcoder
[08:46] <fake> hi blindcoder 
[08:50] <blindcoder> okay, AIP-500 certification starting in roughly 10 minutes
[08:50] <netrunner> fake: good question. gotta stomp on some feet :)
[08:51] <blindcoder> any Solaris expert here? :)
[08:51] <hannes_> blindcoder: perhaps i can help you
[08:52] <hannes_> blindcoder: but i am definitly no expert!
[08:52] <blindcoder> hannes_: you know about MPxIO and IPMP?
[08:53] Action: fake neither
[08:53] <fake> fake denies knowledge ;)
[08:53] <blindcoder> as well as veritas?
[08:53] <hannes_> you mean ip multipathing?
[08:53] <blindcoder> yes
[08:53] <hannes_> yep, i installed it one time
[08:54] <blindcoder> hannes_: does one _need_ in.rdiscd?
[08:55] <hannes_> don't know
[08:56] <blindcoder> hmm, okay, then I'll just start it as in the one HowTo I found :-)
[08:56] <hannes_> just look somewhere at veritas support page
[08:56] <blindcoder> all the others don't have it
[08:56] <blindcoder> ah, no. rdisc is for ipmp
[08:56] <blindcoder> and veritas 3.5 is a bit fishy at the moment
[08:57] <blindcoder> our teacher said we should have a few spare cylinders on the disk
[08:57] <hannes_> yeah i know
[08:57] <blindcoder> but in no install document we found anything about that
[08:57] <hannes_> i just meant and for your veritas prob look at the vertias support page
[08:57] <fake> u
[08:57] <blindcoder> ah, okay :)
[08:57] <blindcoder> i
[08:57] <fake> python 2.4 is out and i didn't notice...
[08:57] <blindcoder> fake: it was all over /. and ln-s
[08:57] <hannes_> on the machine in work rdisc is not being run
[08:57] <blindcoder> hmm
[08:58] <blindcoder> hannes_: which solaris?
[08:59] <hannes_> number 9 current patchlevel
[08:59] <blindcoder> okay, then we probably won't need it either
[08:59] <blindcoder> I'll have to test that
[08:59] <blindcoder> at least we're allowed to use each and all documentation we have and can get :-)
[09:00] <hannes_> blindcoder: look at the documentation cds coming with solaris
[09:00] <hannes_> i think there is something on cd2
[09:00] <blindcoder> hannes_: okay, thanks
[09:01] <hannes_> in the answerbook, if i remeber correctly
[09:01] <fake> blindcoder: that's why i wonder i didn't notice
[09:01] <hannes_> just try it out
[09:01] <blindcoder> hannes_: okay, thanks
[09:01] <hannes_> blindcoder: no probs
[09:24] <clifford> moin
[09:24] <blindcoder> moin clifford 
[09:24] <blindcoder> phew, got SDS, not veritas :D
[09:25] <fake> hi clifford !
[09:44] <hannes_> hi clifford 
[09:44] <hannes_> fake: i have enough points in math so i don't need to do any math paper till february
[09:44] <hannes_> jipiee!
[09:45] <fake> hannes_: cool!
[09:45] <fake> hannes_: you rock ;)
[09:48] <hannes_> fake: will now start playing around a bit with nachos
[09:48] <hannes_> fake: http://i30www.ira.uka.de/teaching/coursedocuments/nachos/index.php
[09:49] <hannes_> fake: virtual mips operating system =)
[10:07] <hannes_> http://www.stud.uni-karlsruhe.de/~ucbiv/eternal-flame.ogg
[10:07] <hannes_> hehe
[10:08] <fake> wgetting...
[10:09] <fake> got it
[10:11] <fake> lisp?
[10:11] <fake> o_O
[10:12] <hannes_> http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/eternal-flame.html
[10:13] <hannes_> gnulers... =D
[10:14] <hannes_> fake: all humans have something in common with emacs =)
[10:14] <hannes_> fake: they are very complex
[10:18] Captain (~Captain@d142-59-231-163.abhsia.telus.net) left irc: "Leaving"
[10:18] treo (~xfman@D830d.d.pppool.de) joined #rocklinux.
[10:19] <treo> sali
[10:25] <hannes_> salut treo 
[11:13] ravelo (martin@chello080109211217.1.sc-graz.chello.at) joined #rocklinux.
[11:16] <treo> bye
[11:17] treo (~xfman@D830d.d.pppool.de) left irc: "cya@all"
[11:32] esden (~esden@p50805CA5.dip0.t-ipconnect.de) joined #rocklinux.
[11:35] <esden> hi ho everyone
[11:35] <hannes_> hi esden 
[11:36] <mnemoc> Dmoin
[11:37] <netrunner> moin mnemoc
[11:37] <mnemoc> moin netrunner 
[11:37] Action: netrunner now remote-controls his laptop with his mobile phone via bluetooth
[11:40] Action: hannes_ wonders how fast netrunner can type the next rock patch now
[11:40] <mnemoc> sounds cool
[11:40] <esden> hi hannes_ 
[11:42] <blindcoder> moin esden 
[11:42] <esden> hi blindcoder!
[11:52] <netrunner> hannes_: well obviously I am not ircing with it ... but I thought about implementing the whole text-input thing ... :)
[11:52] <th> hannes_: hmmm. i'd prefer xfsdump just next to xfsprogs. not the hannes repository
[11:53] <hannes_> th: no prob for me
[11:53] <hannes_> th: should i make a patch?
[11:53] <th> would be nice. although i'm merging this into stable without using patches.
[11:54] <hannes_> ok
[11:54] <hannes_> i will change this in stable to
[11:54] <hannes_> s/stable/trunk/
[11:56] <hannes_> th: xfsdump depends on dmapi
[11:56] <hannes_> th: should it also be moved to base/
[12:01] <th> sure it should
[12:03] <hannes_> th: is in submaster
[12:04] <hannes_> fuck! without the delete-patches
[12:05] <hannes_> argh... note to myself: never sm del directory
[12:06] <th> just use svn ;)
[12:07] <th> hannes_: as i said i do it manually for stable. just wanted to be sure to have it in base/ in trunk
[12:07] <hannes_> yeah, there is half a patch in it
[12:30] <blindcoder> great :(
[12:30] <blindcoder> defective address repeater on IB7
[13:03] mnemoc_ (~amery@200.75.27.54) joined #rocklinux.
[13:04] <th> hmm shadow-4.0.5 is not available from original URL
[13:05] <th> shadow is at 4.0.6 already
[13:07] mnemoc (~amery@200.75.27.45) left irc: Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)
[13:07] Nick change: mnemoc_ -> mnemoc
[13:59] <netrunner> huh? http://www.b0g.org/wsnm/uploads/Hugo-1102335632.jpg
[14:00] <hannes_> netrunner: *gg*
[14:11] <blindcoder> okay, sonar_manage.sh works now
[14:12] <mnemoc> blindcoder: do you have flists from trunk?
[14:12] <netrunner> now that's fun: http://web.okaygo.co.uk/apps/letters/flashcom/
[14:14] <mnemoc> thanks stressing
[14:14] <mnemoc> thats*
[14:17] <blindcoder> mnemoc: not yet
[14:17] <blindcoder> mnemoc: clifford is currently running a build, maybe he will submit some
[14:18] <mnemoc> that would be nice :)
[14:28] <blindcoder> well, I tried to make submitting the date as easy as possible
[14:31] <blindcoder> s/date/data/
[14:33] <th> sounds like the idea of extending sonar in that way was a good one.
[14:33] <th> hi folks
[14:34] <blindcoder> th: indeed :)
[14:34] <th> btw - please tell me what i should change on crystal.in (crystal-emu pkgsel in stable)
[14:55] <blindcoder> haven't had a look yet
[14:59] <blindcoder> grep CORE rock-2.1/package/*/*/*desc | cut -d/ -f4 | while read package ; do grep -q $package rock-2.0/misc/archive/pkgsel/crystal.in || echo "/ $package / { s/^[XO] /X /p; d; };" >> rock-2.0/misc/pkgsel/crystal.in ; done
[15:03] th_ (th@thzn.de) joined #rocklinux.
[15:08] th (th@thzn.de) left irc: Read error: 60 (Operation timed out)
[15:14] Imon (Blackhole@pD9587671.dip.t-dialin.net) joined #rocklinux.
[15:25] <Imon> Hi I've a little question. How can i install a new package? because i want to switch at the syslog-ng
[15:25] <blindcoder> Imon: install a package or create a package?
[15:26] <Imon> just install. I've found the package at your Homepage
[15:26] <blindcoder> which version of ROCK are you running?
[15:26] <Imon> ROCK Linux 2.0.1 (2004/03/13)
[15:27] <blindcoder> okay, do you have a checkout of the source tree?
[15:27] <blindcoder> usually in /usr/src/rock-src
[15:28] <Imon> No not jet. i've no paln what I have to do. is ther any Howto or some think like that
[15:29] <blindcoder> for that not yet, I'm afraid
[15:29] <blindcoder> here's what to do:
[15:29] <blindcoder> get a recent checkout of ROCK 2.0:
[15:29] <blindcoder> svn co svn://www.rocklinux.org/rock-linux/tags/2.0.3
[15:30] <blindcoder> this will create a directory called 2.0.3 which contains the ROCK sources
[15:30] <blindcoder> go there and run: ./scripts/Config and configure to match your current system (you only need to do this once)
[15:30] <blindcoder> then you can use ./scripts/Emerge-Pkg <packagename> to build any package you like
[15:31] <blindcoder> if you have a few spare minutes, please consider adding this information into ROCKDoc :-)
[15:32] <Imon> thanks a lot but is this the right package ? I read some think about 2.0.3 in message an I use 2.0.1
[15:32] <blindcoder> if you want you can also check out 2.0.1
[15:32] <blindcoder> but the packages may be out of date and contain critical security flaws
[15:33] <blindcoder> 2.0.3 is the stable tree. There are no new features in it
[15:33] <blindcoder> just bug and security fixes
[15:33] <blindcoder> so you should consider using that
[15:35] <Imon> Thanks but I must aks because i don't want to build a full system, I want only change the syslog-demon
[15:35] <blindcoder> you're free to ask :)
[15:37] <blindcoder> using Emerge-Pkg you build a package into your running system
[15:37] <blindcoder> to build a complete system you would use Build-Target
[15:42] Action: netrunner changed the topic to 'New to RockLinux? RTFM!'
[15:45] <blindcoder> netrunner: which manual?
[15:45] <Imon> It seem to work ,thanks blindcoder.
[15:46] <blindcoder> Imon: please consider taking a few minutes to add it to ROCKDoc :)
[15:57] clifford (~clifford@213-229-1-138.sdsl-line.inode.at) got netsplit.
[15:57] dsoul (darksoul@pingu.ii.uj.edu.pl) got netsplit.
[15:57] SerWou (~SerWou@lafilaire-3-82-224-107-105.fbx.proxad.net) got netsplit.
[15:57] nzg (~tschmidt@s15173431.rootmaster.info) got netsplit.
[15:58] treo (~xfman@80.184.128.121) joined #rocklinux.
[16:00] clifford (~clifford@213-229-1-138.sdsl-line.inode.at) returned to #rocklinux.
[16:00] dsoul (darksoul@pingu.ii.uj.edu.pl) returned to #rocklinux.
[16:00] SerWou (~SerWou@lafilaire-3-82-224-107-105.fbx.proxad.net) returned to #rocklinux.
[16:00] nzg (~tschmidt@s15173431.rootmaster.info) returned to #rocklinux.
[16:01] <treo> sali
[16:03] <blindcoder> sweet
[16:04] <blindcoder> just added a new field to the editing page of ROCKDoc: Author
[16:04] <blindcoder> the content of that field will appear in subversions "Author" field :)
[16:06] <blindcoder> (instead of "subwiki")
[17:11] Nick change: BoS -> Bos^ghost
[17:15] <esden> test
[17:16] <esden> humm ... network works ;)
[17:20] <hannes_> rehi
[17:51] esden_ (~esden@p50804D06.dip0.t-ipconnect.de) joined #rocklinux.
[17:56] <fake> re
[18:09] esden (~esden@p50805CA5.dip0.t-ipconnect.de) left irc: Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)
[18:16] esden (~esden@p50804A75.dip0.t-ipconnect.de) joined #rocklinux.
[18:35] esden_ (~esden@p50804D06.dip0.t-ipconnect.de) left irc: Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)
[18:50] tcr (~tcr@pD9EAAC9A.dip.t-dialin.net) joined #rocklinux.
[18:57] Nick change: th_ -> th
[19:00] <th> damn it package/base/shadow/libpam-fix.patch doesn't apply for shadow-4.0.6 :-/
[19:03] esden (~esden@p50804A75.dip0.t-ipconnect.de) left #rocklinux.
[19:13] ojh (~omer@65-102-127-253.eugn.qwest.net) joined #rocklinux.
[19:17] ojh (~omer@65-102-127-253.eugn.qwest.net) left #rocklinux.
[19:34] <th> http://www.rocklinux.net/people/teha/changeset-2004-12-07
[19:34] <th> i'm currently testing with this changeset.
[19:34] <th> any comments welcome
[19:35] <th> i'm considering making this a fast 2.0.4
[19:37] <hannes_> th: do you already have support for *.desktop files in stable?
[19:37] <th> hannes_: no i don't think so
[19:37] <hannes_> why do you include the evolution and licq desktop files?
[19:37] <th> the evolution.desktop is a sort of accident
[19:37] <th> going to remove them
[19:37] <th> but they don't hurt for now
[19:38] <hannes_> th: checksum for vom forgotten :)
[19:39] <th> i'll do a Create-Cksum-Patch run before
[19:39] <th> missing for shadow too i think
[19:39] <hannes_> sylpheed and a lot more, i think
[19:40] <hannes_> samba, gpa...
[19:42] <mnemoc> oh, runit's conf was quite outdated on 2.0-stable
[19:43] <mnemoc> th: you forgot the checksum for vim
[19:44] <mnemoc> :) hannes already said so 
[19:44] <hannes_> i meant the checksum for vom and forgot to s/vom/vim/
[19:45] <mnemoc> :)
[19:45] <th> please just email me your merge/update -requests
[19:45] <th> i'm off for now
[19:45] <mnemoc> th: i'll do an update party against trunk first :)
[19:46] <th> mnemoc: please hurry, we need 2.0.4 soon
[19:46] <th> args
[19:46] <th> dmapi just failed
[19:46] <th> download missing?
[19:46] <th> stange
[19:47] <mnemoc> th: deadline?
[19:47] <th> mnemoc: ask blindy.
[19:47] <th> mnemoc: i need 72 hours for a complete refbuild.
[19:47] <mnemoc> blindcoder: deadline?
[19:47] <th> so last change +72h and you know the deadline
[19:47] <mnemoc> :)
[19:48] <mnemoc> i'll try
[19:52] <th> did i mention i'm already off? damn could anyone please hold the clock for some hours
[19:53] <hannes_> th: you can just switch to another timezone
[19:54] <th> hannes_: i once tried adapting to the 48hour day...
[19:54] <hannes_> just stop calculating in days, use jiffies and stop rebooting your computer =)
[19:59] SteffenP (steffen@pD9E8F9AD.dip.t-dialin.net) joined #rocklinux.
[20:00] <hannes_> hi SteffenP 
[20:01] <SteffenP> hi hannes_ 
[20:01] <hannes_> SteffenP: how is your build doing?
[20:01] <SteffenP> why is always showing up a little problem when i go to sleep or to work.
[20:01] <SteffenP> i started the building again yesterday.
[20:04] madtux (~mike@200.91.101.97) joined #rocklinux.
[20:04] <madtux> hello.
[20:10] kasc_ (kasc@dsl-082-083-043-135.arcor-ip.net) joined #rocklinux.
[20:20] kasc (kasc@dsl-213-023-207-045.arcor-ip.net) left irc: Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)
[20:20] Nick change: kasc_ -> kasc
[20:24] lewellyn (~mjl@lewellyn.silver.supporter.pdpc) joined #rocklinux.
[20:24] <lewellyn> morning! :)
[20:24] <fake> hi lewellyn 
[20:24] <lewellyn> still up?
[20:24] <netrunner> wtf is .pdpc
[20:25] <lewellyn> peer directed project center. aka the people who run freenode :)
[20:25] <netrunner> oh :)
[20:25] Action: lewellyn gave them money and got a nifty supporter cloak
[20:25] <lewellyn> since i'm in the us, it's not bribery, it's a "dontation"!
[20:26] <netrunner> like on $otherchanell in $othernetwork, where all people constantly search for bnc's ... I never understood what they are for.
[20:26] <lewellyn> bncs are another ball of wax.
[20:26] <lewellyn> it's essentially an irc proxy server
[20:26] Action: netrunner prefers to keep wax away from his balls...
[20:26] <lewellyn> one good use is if you want to use mirc, xchat, etc. and want the functionality of screen+irssi
[20:32] <lewellyn> ok. i feel like being daring now.
[20:33] <lewellyn> how do i install gcc2? :)
[20:34] Action: fake has no time right now
[20:34] <fake> stress capacity is maxxed
[20:38] <netrunner> fake: *tickle*
[20:42] <fake> *boom*
[20:45] Action: lewellyn sweeps up the pieces of fake and forgets about gcc2
[20:48] <netrunner> lewellyn: scripts/Emerge-Pkg gcc2
[20:48] <lewellyn> netrunner: i thought it was mentioned last night that i had to change my config first?
[20:49] Action: lewellyn tries anyway
[20:49] <lewellyn> i hope this doesn't screw up my installed gcc :(
[20:51] <fake> NO!!!
[20:51] <fake> you HAVE to change your config first!!!
[20:51] <fake> argh!
[20:51] <fake> but go on, kill your system, it's netrunners fault
[20:51] <madtux> :)
[20:51] <netrunner> lewellyn: if you asked already, and already got the advice, why do you ask again?
[20:52] <lewellyn> because i got no details...
[20:52] <lewellyn> on purpose.
[20:52] <madtux> fake: having a nice day huh? :)
[20:52] <lewellyn> so i wouldn't forget as i was tired :)
[20:52] <lewellyn> == 12/07/04 11:51:49 =[9]=> Aborted building package gcc2.
[20:52] <lewellyn> just in case
[20:53] Action: netrunner beams a edwb to fake
[20:53] ravelo (martin@chello080109211217.1.sc-graz.chello.at) left #rocklinux ("Verlassend").
[20:54] <mnemoc> an edwb?
[20:54] <lewellyn> anyway. running netscape4 is not super important to me, so not building gcc2 is no biggie
[21:01] <hannes_> gnu n8
[21:22] tcr (~tcr@pD9EAAC9A.dip.t-dialin.net) left irc: Remote closed the connection
[21:26] <mnemoc> SMP: weren't you updated mono to 1.1 on trunk?
[21:32] <SMP> mnemoc: yeah, that's what I wanted to do
[21:33] <mnemoc> can i?
[21:33] <mnemoc> SMP: what problems did you had?
[21:33] <SMP> none, other than my own lack of management
[21:34] <SMP> would be great if you could just do the update
[21:34] <mnemoc> ok, i'll include in my next test round
[21:39] <SMP> lewellyn: btw. I had Netscape 4 work on my 2.0.0-rc1 a little while ago. AFAIR I got a binary libc5 package for another distro and LD_LIBRARY_PATH-forced it
[21:48] <lewellyn> SMP: eh. not worth the trouble. i've just about gotten the borked vm fixed that kept me from using it under win95 ;)
[21:48] <lewellyn> thanks though :)
[21:51] <SMP> why are you still running Netscape 4 anyway?
[21:51] <SMP> it's basically not even good for compatibility testing anymore
[21:51] <lewellyn> browser compatibility testing.
[21:51] <lewellyn> the client wants us to test under 4.79, so i figured 4.8 would be logical as well
[21:51] <SMP> it's broken beyond belief and noone's running it anyway
[21:52] <lewellyn> it being netscape 4? :)
[21:52] <SMP> doesn't work for any modern pages and is even buggy for the less-modern
[21:52] <SMP> yes.
[21:52] <lewellyn> apparently, they get enough visitors that they need testing for it
[21:52] <SMP> but those pages that it _does_ render, it renders *amazingly* fast
[21:52] <SMP> ;-)
[21:53] <lewellyn> of course, the compatibility list came from marketing :(
[21:53] <lewellyn> because it doesn't do css? :)
[21:53] <SMP> yeah, well, but even pages that use pre-css layout
[21:55] <SMP> pages that use good css techniques are rather simple to render for a css-agnostic browser anyway ;)
[21:55] <lewellyn> which makes them fast!
[21:55] <SMP> and ugly, and hardly useable
[21:56] <lewellyn> no. if they're properly constructed, they're very usable.
[21:56] <lewellyn> i'm still surprised at how many people use <hX> tags for font control
[21:56] <lewellyn> *STILL*
[21:56] <lewellyn> that was taboo in 1995 folks! ten years haven't changed much!
[21:58] <SMP> the usability depends. you might find all navigation links nicely stuck in a <ul> at the very bottom of the page ;)
[21:59] <SMP> heh, html was made for idiots, so only idiots use it ;)
[22:00] <lewellyn> well, 1) navigation traditionally gets stuck at the top of the page. so someone would have to be kinda lame to stick it at the bottom. (after all, sticking it at the top should get it displayed first...) and 2) html was ADOPTED by idiots. it was made as a simpler sgml :)
[22:02] <SMP> with CSS layout - having the navigation (e.g.) coded at the bottom of the file doesn't mean it can't appear at the top or any other place in the page ;)
[22:03] <SMP> but if you use a non-css browser, well then ...
[22:04] <lewellyn> it doesn't. but the source tends to get parsed top-down, not bottom-up.
[22:04] <lewellyn> so it would logically follow that on a complex page, top navigation would show up first
[22:05] <SMP> with CSS there is no necessary relation between an element's position in the file and its appearance on the layouted page
[22:06] <SMP> I've see people stick all auxiliary elements behind the content. that's a perfectly valid way of doing things
[22:08] Action: SMP keeps around some bookmarks of especially sophisticated CSS layouts
[22:13] madtux (~mike@200.91.101.97) left irc: Read error: 113 (No route to host)
[22:19] <treo> having the content at the top and all the auxiliary elements at the bottom is also better for having a good place on search engines
[22:24] <treo> gn8
[22:24] madtux (~mike@200.91.101.97) joined #rocklinux.
[22:24] <madtux> re
[22:25] treo (~xfman@80.184.128.121) left irc: "cya@all"
[22:36] kasc_ (kasc@dsl-213-023-189-110.arcor-ip.net) joined #rocklinux.
[22:53] kasc (kasc@dsl-082-083-043-135.arcor-ip.net) left irc: Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)
[22:53] Nick change: kasc_ -> kasc
[23:17] Imon (Blackhole@pD9587671.dip.t-dialin.net) left irc: "Verlassend"
[23:25] tfing (~tfing@82.225.142.148) joined #rocklinux.
[23:25] <tfing> hi !
[23:28] madtux (~mike@200.91.101.97) left irc: "leaving"
[23:36] ojh (~omer@65-100-5-145.eugn.qwest.net) joined #rocklinux.
[23:38] <ojh> Any one on who can help with package creation questions?
[23:39] <mnemoc> ojh: what do you need?
[23:41] <ojh> Hey, I was on another screen . . :)
[23:42] <ojh> How do I create a GEM file? I want to be able to 'rool back' after package upgrade that go wrong without recompiling the working one.
[23:43] <ojh> 'roll back' I mean
[23:43] <th> ojh: mine --help
[23:43] <th> ojh: use a combination of mine -C and mine -T to create agem
[23:43] <th> s,agem,a gem,
[23:45] <ojh> Show me an example, I'm not groking the help out put. I have, for example dbus 0.22 up and running and want a GEM of it.
[23:46] <ojh> Excuse my lack of immediate comprenhension .  . .
[23:51] <ojh> What does this error mean? 'While writing key 'pkg_tarbz2': No such file or directory' the command line I tried was 'mine -C /var/adm/ dbus dbus dbus-0.22.gem', I don't think I grasp all the fields needed for this command.
[23:52] <tfing> ojh: did you do a mine -T first ?
[23:53] <ojh> I'm not too clear on this process, does the -T option create some sort of index needed for the -C step?
[23:53] <tfing> mine -T /var/adm / dbus dbus-0.22.tar.bz2; mine -C /var/adm dbus-0.22.tar.bz2 dbus dbus-0.22.gem
[23:53] <tfing> this should work
[23:54] <ojh> I'll try that :)
[23:54] <SMP> ojh: -T creates a tar.bz2 package, which -C transforms into a gem
[23:55] <SMP> ojh: anything interesting you're using dbus for? like hotplug / rockplug integration?
[23:56] <ojh> Where is the 'cron.run' file located? Its not in $PATH and it looks like I need to do some house cleaning before i can create packages . . . 
[23:56] <SMP> should be in /usr/sbin/ I think
[23:57] <ojh> I'm using dbus for ROX Desktop and Zero-Install.
[23:57] <SMP> I consider the cron.run to be unnecessary
[23:58] <SMP> it may sometimes be necessary to run just ldconfig, though
[23:58] <SMP> they use dbus these days? interesting ...
[23:58] <ojh> I got an error with the command you suplied . . . and I remember what the mine command said about running cron.run
[23:59] <ojh> What does this mean? I got it with the -T step: 'tar: Cannot add file var/run/dbus: No such file or directory'
[23:59] <ojh> UGH!!! 'updatedb' is running now.
[00:00] --- Wed Dec  8 2004