[00:00] <th> kdeartwork that is
[00:01] <th> i think the work is done in ./scripts/Build-Pkg itself
[00:01] <stf^rocklinux> th: yes, yes
[00:02] <th> i bet introduction of the desktopfiles variable might cause some trouble
[00:04] <th> i still dont understand how this rock=specific change (X-Rock-Name, and Categories) goes into the .desktop files
[00:05] <th> misc/desktop/parse-config ??
[00:06] <th> but i had to REMOVE the categories line - not to fix the syntax by appending semikolopn
[00:06] <th> semicolon
[00:07] <th> where is that multimedia menu stored?
[00:21] <stf^rocklinux> th: It worked here to comment out all Categories lines in screensaver desktop files.
[00:21] <stf^rocklinux> The entries were immediately removed from the Multimedia menu :)
[00:21] <th> WHUT?
[00:21] <th> i tried that for a single one
[00:21] <stf^rocklinux> th: the only question is, where are they now? ^^
[00:21] <th> /usr/share/applnk/System/ScreenSavers ?
[00:22] <th> stf^rocklinux: i bet they are NOT in the menu at all
[00:22] <th> stf^rocklinux: they are available somewhere for the selection of screensaver anyways
[00:22] <th> that would be ok for me
[00:22] <stf^rocklinux> th: yes, afair the entries could not be started anyways
[00:22] <th> right-click on desktop. "cofnigure desktop" -> "screensavers"
[00:22] <th> stf^rocklinux: yes - they can be started
[00:23] <th> 00:24:26 < th> /usr/share/applnk/System/ScreenSavers ?
[00:23] <th> ack this
[00:23] <stf^rocklinux> th: I meant not started via the start menu
[00:23] <stf^rocklinux> th: I changed all files that kdeartwork installs
[00:24] <stf^rocklinux> mine -l kdeartwork | grep desktop | cut -f2 -d" " | while read N ; do sed -i -e"s,Categories,# Categories,g" /$N ; done
[00:25] <th> that's more than screensavers
[00:25] <th> adding grep ScreenSavers
[00:26] <th> now they are gone
[00:26] <th> but it did not work with a single one
[00:27] <th> readd the line in three of them
[00:27] <th> is there some meta-desktop-file for the screensavers?
[00:27] <th> i did it for all usr/share/applnk/System/ScreenSavers desktop files
[00:28] <th> and it worked
[00:31] <stf^rocklinux> th: works for single files here, too
[00:32] <th> oh
[00:32] <th> ok
[00:32] <stf^rocklinux> th: but changes may take a second or two to take effect...
[00:33] <stf^rocklinux> th: I just ask myself whether it's better to completely skip Categories creation or if we should adapt it...
[00:33] <th> yea
[00:33] <th> shouldn't it be the applications job to determine it's category
[00:35] <th> even wiping my home does not help to make 3 of the screensavers visible
[00:36] <th> perhaps a good start could be to make an exception for the categories for the kdeartwork package
[00:36] <th> like using the desktopfiles variable
[00:36] <stf^rocklinux> th: Besides there's nothing 'default' or 'as author intended' about the way desktop files the desktop files are changed
[00:37] <th> "about the way desktop files the desktop files are changed"
[00:37] <th> EGRAMMAR? dont understand
[00:37] <stf^rocklinux> about the way desktop files are changed
[00:38] <th> well so why should we change them at all?
[00:38] <stf^rocklinux> th: that's my point. I'll try a build with /misc/desktop/parse-config disabled
[00:39] <th> do you agree that it could be a good short-term-fix to try to disable desktopfile creation for kdeartworks?
[00:39] <th> or do we need desktop files, but should not change the category?
[00:40] <stf^rocklinux> th: we should not change desktop files installed by programs
[00:40] <th> does that imply that we cant categorize crystals applications?
[00:40] <stf^rocklinux> only add X-ROCK* lines maybe
[00:41] <stf^rocklinux> th: look at /misc/desktop/parse-config: it is written to ignore kde files
[00:42] <th> uh?
[00:42] <stf^rocklinux> th: but with kde in /usr, that does not apply
[00:42] <th>                 extra/desktop/kde)              echo "Core" ;;
[00:46] <th> how so?
[00:46] <stf^rocklinux> 		[ "${desktop/opt?kde/}" != "${desktop}" ] && continue
[00:46] <th> AHHHHH
[00:46] <th> there it is
[00:46] <th> so why do we ignore kde?
[00:46] <th> why should we ignore kde and do not ignore others
[00:46] <th> that's the "default/as-author-intended" discussion again
[00:46] <th> could we change that ${desktop/opt?kde/} so that it reflects screensavers only?
[00:46] <th> what's the purpose of the X-ROCK-Name at all?
[00:46] BoS|afk (n=BoS@dslb-088-072-036-002.pools.arcor-ip.net) left irc: Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)
[00:46] <stf^rocklinux> th: dunno
[00:46] <th> we need to discuss this with blindcoder
[00:46] <stf^rocklinux> th: yes
[00:46] <th> i'd like to commit something now
[00:47] <th> stf^rocklinux: >>>>>> [ "${desktop/opt?kde/}" != "${desktop}" ] && continue
[00:47] <th> stf^rocklinux: that line defines an exception, right?
[00:47] <th> stf^rocklinux: could i use this and just add lines for konquerer.desktop and screensafers?
[00:48] <stf^rocklinux> th: sure
[00:48] <stf^rocklinux> btw. replace ? with \/
[00:49] <th> i'm bad in these ${} variable substitutions
[00:49] <th> ${foo/spam/} is $foo without spam?
[00:49] <stf^rocklinux> ${var/e/b/} substitutes e with b and \/ is an escaped /
[00:50] <stf^rocklinux> th: yes, where spam is removed only once (// removes all)
[00:50] <th> and ${var/a//} == ${var/a/} ?
[00:50] <th> ah ok
[00:50] <stf^rocklinux> th: yes
[00:51] <th> so comparing with ${var} is like asking if it's contained
[00:51] BoS|afk (n=BoS@dslb-088-072-032-005.pools.arcor-ip.net) joined #rocklinux.
[00:52] <stf^rocklinux> yes
[00:52] <th> ok
[00:52] <stf^rocklinux> kind of complicated that is ^^
[00:52] <th> so the opt?kde has to go
[00:52] <th> and ScreenSavers match shall come
[00:52] <th> save to konquerer.desktop
[00:53] <th> konqueror
[00:53] <stf^rocklinux> th: I think we didn't touch kde files before because they already had proper categories
[00:53] <th> ok
[00:54] <th> so we need a mechanism to let a package decide if it wants it's desktop files played with
[00:54] <th> so kde-3.conf should set this to NO
[00:56] <stf^rocklinux> is there a hook_remove?
[00:56] <th> i dont know
[00:56] <th> not in that fie
[00:56] <th>                 [ "${desktop/konqueror\.desktop/}" != "${desktop}" ] && continue
[00:56] <th>                 [ "${desktop/System\/ScreenSavers/}" != "${desktop}" ] && continue
[00:59] <th> == 01:03:29 =[9]=> Building kde/kdeartwork [3.5.1 0].
[01:05] <stf^rocklinux> parse-config greps the flist of each package and changes each desktop file
[01:06] <stf^rocklinux> err, wrong text...
[01:08] ringo (n=info@ip51cf58c9.direct-adsl.nl) left irc: 
[01:09] <th> i feel like committing my journal now.
[01:09] <th> with this third hotfix
[01:09] <stf^rocklinux> th: well, everything else seems to work...
[01:09] <th> yea
[01:10] <th> installer still has glitches but it's not worse
[01:10] <th> (than before)
[01:14] <stf^rocklinux> th: you have to add 2006032122314413122 to your journal.txt
[01:14] kasc_ (n=kasc@dslb-084-060-107-027.pools.arcor-ip.net) joined #rocklinux.
[01:14] <stf^rocklinux> th: the rockinitrd hotfix
[01:14] <th> i hotfixed that by s/# #/#/
[01:15] <th> let me do the easy stuff first
[01:15] <stf^rocklinux> th: ok
[01:17] blindcod1r (n=blindcod@tor/session/x-b7fd216b70d907d0) joined #rocklinux.
[01:17] blindcoder (n=blindcod@tor/session/x-c802f25c20fa8c6a) left irc: Nick collision from services.
[01:17] Nick change: blindcod1r -> blindcoder
[01:18] <th> that was the easy part.
[01:18] <th> top - 01:18:24 up 54 days,  3:01,  3 users,  load average: 4.18, 4.89, 2.79
[01:21] kasc (n=kasc@dslb-084-060-105-087.pools.arcor-ip.net) left irc: Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)
[01:21] Nick change: kasc_ -> kasc
[01:30] <th> stf^rocklinux: you already made an incr-patch few days ago
[01:30] <th> perhaps you can check in a minute if everything is in
[01:31] <stf^rocklinux> th: will do
[01:32] <th> Committed revision 7330.
[01:32] <th> that's it
[01:32] <th> (for rockinitrd
[01:32] <th> )
[01:38] <stf^rocklinux> th: yes, all my rockinitrd changes are in :)
[01:39] <th> stf^rocklinux: yea you resent that incremental thing 3 times to me yesterday or day before :-))
[01:40] <stf^rocklinux> th: the sm mailing list got spammed ...
[01:41] <th> Committed revision 7332.
[01:41] Last message repeated 1 time(s).
[01:41] <th> yea
[01:41] <th> that was the hardest thing to figure out. thanks stf!!
[01:42] <th> ok.
[01:42] <th> i'm sync!!
[01:42] <th> yay
[01:42] <th> oh - i got some mail
[01:43] <stf^rocklinux> th: well done!
[01:43] <stf^rocklinux> I'll just start another build and go to sleep...
[01:44] <stf^rocklinux> have a good night
[01:44] <th> yea you too
[01:44] <th> i'm starting a vanilla build now
[01:44] <th> for fresh isos.
[03:47] madtux (i=miguel@pf0.hostarica.com) joined #rocklinux.
[03:47] <madtux> hello.
[03:52] blindcoder (n=blindcod@tor/session/x-b7fd216b70d907d0) left irc: Remote closed the connection
[03:56] blindcoder (n=blindcod@tor/session/x-ca3a2e36c45e90cf) joined #rocklinux.
[05:43] madtux (i=miguel@pf0.hostarica.com) left irc: "Leaving"
[07:59] <blindcoder> th pong
[08:45] blindcoder (n=blindcod@tor/session/x-ca3a2e36c45e90cf) left irc: Remote closed the connection
[09:00] blindcoder (i=blindcod@pallas.crash-override.net) joined #rocklinux.
[09:00] <blindcoder> re
[09:57] ija_ (n=ija@108.242.80.212.versanetonline.de) joined #rocklinux.
[09:57] ija (n=ija@155.242.80.212.versanetonline.de) left irc: Read error: 113 (No route to host)
[09:59] Nick change: ija_ -> ija
[09:59] <fake> wee!
[10:00] <blindcoder> free men
[10:00] <fake> minimal+xfree, gcc40, xorg 6.9.0 with linux-libc-headers: 156 builds total, 0 with errors!
[10:00] Action: fake burning the ISO
[10:00] <blindcoder> sweet
[10:24] <esden> moin
[10:24] <blindcoder> esden: moin
[10:25] <blindcoder> esden: took the wrong door? :)
[10:25] <esden> o_O?
[10:25] <esden> why wrong door?
[10:25] <blindcoder> just kidding :)
[10:25] <blindcoder> brb, ceres is up again ^^
[10:25] blindcoder (i=blindcod@pallas.crash-override.net) left irc: "received signal: SIGIDIOT"
[10:28] blindcoder (n=blindcod@tor/session/x-a8e2154a02f0b9fd) joined #rocklinux.
[10:28] [raphael] (n=raphael@raphael.netpark.at) left irc: Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)
[10:28] <blindcoder> re
[10:33] <daja77_> hah yes, my sendmail update and advisory was out before the heise announcement
[10:34] <blindcoder> hehe, grats :)
[10:36] <fake> looking good!
[10:36] <th> *yawn*
[10:36] <th> morning
[10:36] <fake> except: xterm is no longer part of x.org 6.9.0? i thought that massive split was in 7.0 ?
[10:36] <blindcoder> moin th
[10:36] <blindcoder> th: pong :)
[10:37] <th> blindcoder: you bastard!
[10:37] <th> blindcoder: you hardcoding bastard!
[10:37] <th> blindcoder: you evil hardcoding bastard!
[10:37] <fake> th: let me guess....
[10:37] <fake> th: the desktop files?
[10:37] <th> ACK
[10:37] <th> it's all fixed now.
[10:37] <blindcoder> ...
[10:37] <blindcoder> ehm...
[10:38] <blindcoder> what did I do?
[10:38] <th> misc/desktop/parse-config
[10:38] <blindcoder> humm
[10:38] Action: fake reading
[10:38] <th> .   .   [ "${desktop/opt?kde/}" != "${desktop}" ] && continue
[10:39] Last message repeated 3 time(s).
[10:39] <daja77_> -.-
[10:39] <fake> hehe
[10:39] [raphael] (n=raphael@raphael.netpark.at) joined #rocklinux.
[10:39] Action: blindcoder whistles innocently
[10:39] <th> blindcoder: but that's only the one side of your evilness!
[10:39] <fake> *lol*
[10:39] <th> blindcoder: "Catgerories=..."
[10:39] <blindcoder> oh, there's another?
[10:40] <blindcoder> where? why?
[10:40] <th> blindcoder: "Catgerories=..." is a list and needs to be closed by a ';'
[10:41] <blindcoder> yes
[10:41] <th> .   .   echo "Adding Categories tag (${category})"
[10:41] <th> .   .   echo "Categories=${category}" >>"${file}"
[10:41] <th> the ';' is missing ;-)
[10:41] <blindcoder> humm
[10:41] <blindcoder> oops :)
[10:41] Action: blindcoder closes the bug as "Works for me"
[10:42] <fake> th: how long have you been up?
[10:42] <th> fake: 0300 or something
[10:43] <fake> th: all that time searching that error?
[10:43] <fake> th: phew... you're motivated ;)
[10:43] <th> blindcoder: well if you let your parse-config ".desktop-files modifier thing" on your konquerer.desktop and all screensaver's .desktop files...
[10:43] <th> blindcoder: then...
[10:44] <th> blindcoder: your multimedia menu will be FULL of screensavers
[10:44] <th> blindcoder: and...
[10:44] <th> blindcoder: your konqueror icon in the panel wont work
[10:44] <fake> th: so it's time for PL2 ?
[10:44] <th> as well as the "home" icon
[10:44] <blindcoder> well, sucks
[10:44] <th> fake: no.
[10:44] <th> fake: vanilla building
[10:44] <blindcoder> ${desktop/${KDE_PREFIX}/} the
[10:44] <th> blindcoder: yea
[10:44] <th> makes sense with prefix=usr
[10:45] <blindcoder> well
[10:45] <th> i changed it
[10:45] <th> see trunk
[10:45] <blindcoder> that just goes to prove that noone ever bothered changing the default installation prefix
[10:45] <th> see head
[10:45] <blindcoder> thanks :)
[10:45] <th> but we need a possibility for packages to let their desktop files untouched by this mechanism
[10:45] <th> a hardcoded list of exceptions like i added them now is not acceptable
[10:46] <blindcoder> ack
[10:46] <blindcoder> well
[10:46] <blindcoder> what does this mechanism do, anyway?
[10:46] <blindcoder> It's been a while...
[10:46] <fake> where is xterm??
[10:47] <th> /usr/X11/bin?
[10:47] <th> blindcoder: it adds "Categories=" and "X-ROCK-Name"
[10:49] <fake> th: it didn't get built in my xorg 6.9.0
[10:49] <fake> :-/
[10:50] <th> fake: and this is in HEAD trunk?
[10:50] <th> xorg: usr/X11R6/bin/xterm
[10:51] <blindcoder> th: I see
[10:52] <th> blindcoder: the Categories= is based on the rock package categories.
[10:53] <th> btw - anyone ever tried the help menu of our konqueror or any other kde application?
[10:54] <th> so the parse config looks like: 
[10:55] <th> .   .   [ "${desktop/konqueror\.desktop/}" != "${desktop}" ] && continue
[10:55] <th> .   .   [ "${desktop/System\/ScreenSavers/}" != "${desktop}" ] && continue
[10:55] <th> instead of the /opt?kde/
[10:55] <th> but despite of that. that's only a hotfix to make things in kde work
[10:55] <th> it propably breaks all other desktop files somehow
[10:56] <blindcoder> th: the helps aren't available
[10:56] <fake> th: i updated x.org to 6.9.0. in trunk is 6.8.2
[10:57] <th> blindcoder: exactly
[10:57] <th> fake: ahh ok
[10:57] <th> blindcoder: you know where the help should be?
[10:58] <th> blindcoder: and which package should provide it?
[10:59] <blindcoder> no
[10:59] <th> ok
[11:00] <th> it's not a matter of a file being in wrong place
[11:00] <th> we just dont have this /konqueror/index.html
[11:00] <th> (whereever it is expected)
[11:21] <netrunner> th: there is an option of kde to build some documentation, that makes build 1h longer ... maybe it's there?
[11:22] <th> netrunner: where is that?
[11:22] <netrunner> th: somewhere in expert options of kde iirc
[11:23] <netrunner> th: but maybe that is only development docs
[11:23] <th> ahh ok
[11:50] <owl> moin
[11:51] <fake> moin owl
[11:51] <owl> hi fake 
[11:56] <fake> th: you were right. in util-linux 2.12r, head -1 is supported again
[11:56] <blindcoder> YAY
[11:57] <fake> th: but: invalid option -N ;)
[11:57] <blindcoder> it's -n
[11:57] <fake> blindcoder: some joke th played me with
[11:57] <th> fake: hehehehe
[11:57] <blindcoder> oh
[11:57] <th> fake: lucky you ;)
[12:01] <fake> th: i just lended an usb stick
[12:01] <fake> th: on my minimal+x build, the 2nd disc looks alright...
[12:02] <th> fake: does it have partitions?
[12:02] <fake> th: in /dev/discs. one is ide, the other scsi
[12:02] <fake> th: yes, but just one
[12:02] <fake> i'll try in the PL1 iso
[12:13] <fake> th: with 2 scsi discs, i have the same problem (on the PL1 iso)
[12:13] <th> the same problem as in my screenshot?
[12:13] <th> http://www.rocklinux.net/people/teha/scsi.png
[12:15] <fake> th: yes
[12:16] <th> ok - so we need a sane approach which is not cryptic but readable and understandable
[12:19] <fake> im debugging
[12:24] <clifford> svn log -r7308 http://www.rocklinux.net/svn/rock-linux
[12:24] <clifford> svn log -r7316 http://www.rocklinux.net/svn/rock-linux
[12:24] <clifford> .. I'm getting a mail every 15 minutes because of this
[12:24] <th> clifford: i dont
[12:24] <clifford> .. sinze >13 hours
[12:25] <th> that's > 52 mails
[12:25] <clifford> because they are only sent to me.
[12:25] <clifford> yep
[12:25] <th> i get more spam than this ;)
[12:25] <th> ;>
[12:25] <th> you get a log for this commit?
[12:25] <th> s/log/mail/
[12:25] <fake> clifford: what did i break?
[12:26] <clifford> haha. I'm now fixing the commit message for this two patches and add you and fake to the list of people who get mailed..
[12:26] <fake> wee - more mails :-/
[12:26] <clifford> the two patches I refered above are missing the colon after the author names.
[12:26] <netrunner> what's wrong with that commit message?
[12:26] <clifford> the two patches I refered above are missing the colon after the author names.
[12:26] Last message repeated 2 time(s).
[12:26] <fake> ah, i see it...
[12:26] <netrunner> hehe
[12:27] <th> clifford: so your mailer always defers it cause some script returns non-successfull exit-status?
[12:27] <clifford> and fixauthor sends me a mail every 15 minutes that it can't parse the commit message.
[12:27] <fake> clifford: lucky you, you don't use a blackberry
[12:27] <blindcoder> hehe
[12:29] <fake> th: now i can't reproduce it anymore (dev/discs)
[12:29] <th> fake: then reboot
[12:29] <fake> ah
[12:29] <fake> no, it's there again
[12:30] <fake> registering new disc 1 for device scsi/host6/bus0/target0/lun0/generic
[12:30] <fake> registering new disc 2 for device scsi/host6/bus0/target0/lun0/disc
[12:30] <fake> found already-existing disc 1 for scsi/host6/bus0/target0/lun0/part1
[12:30] <fake> this is a race condition
[12:30] <th> 12:32:34 < fake> registering new disc 1 for device scsi/host6/bus0/target0/lun0/generic
[12:30] <th> 12:32:34 < fake> registering new disc 2 for device scsi/host6/bus0/target0/lun0/disc
[12:31] <th> it's not new
[12:31] <fake> th: i know
[12:31] <th> scsi/host6/bus0/target0/lun0 == scsi/host6/bus0/target0/lun0
[12:31] <th> hmm
[12:31] <fake> i just added debugging output
[12:31] <th> you should add even more
[12:31] <th> e.g. what leads to the conclusion "new"
[12:31] <fake> yes, i agree. let's see
[12:45] Action: daja77_ hides
[12:46] <th> kubuntu uses static /dev
[12:47] <th> kubuntu does not have a /usr/share/applnk
[12:49] <th> ahh
[12:49] <th> that might be because that install is not finished
[12:50] <fake> th: it seems like a race
[12:50] <fake> th: the events are triggered too fast
[12:52] <th> fake: so we need to serialize it.
[12:52] <th> fake: it's triggered by our `find /sys -name uevent ...` ?
[12:54] <fake> th: no, in this case (and in your case) it's triggered by the hotplug event(s)
[12:55] <th> hmm
[12:55] <fake> yes, it's definitely a race:
[12:55] <fake> 830296000: starting for sd 9:0:0:0 1
[12:55] <fake> 832903000: starting for sg 9:0:0:0 1
[12:56] <fake> the number upfront is date '%N'
[12:56] <fake> though i'm wondering why i get no event for the 'disc' device
[13:00] <fake> esden:10:0:0:0:830837000: no matches in /dev/discs/disc0
[13:00] <fake> sg:10:0:0:0:840693000: no matches in /dev/discs/disc0
[13:00] <fake> sd => esden *lol*
[13:01] <daja77_> rofl
[13:01] <daja77_> wtf?
[13:02] <fake> no idea - BitchX
[13:06] <fake> i'm not getting any events for the bare disc device
[13:09] <th> how are race conditions to be handled with udev?
[13:12] <fake> th: there's a WAIT_FOR_SYSFS switch i just encountered
[13:12] <fake> though i doubt it's ment for this
[13:12] <th> hmm
[13:13] <fake> nope, doesn't work
[13:14] <fake> th: woohoo
[13:14] <fake> th: /etc/udev/udev.conf -> change log level to debug
[13:14] <th> ah
[13:20] <fake> the events for the disc device seem to be not always generated ;_;
[13:21] <fake> udev 088 is released
[13:25] <fake> i think i've got it
[13:28] <fake> we can simplfy this
[13:28] <fake> a lot
[13:40] <th> sounds nice
[13:40] <th> but what's with "the events for the disc device seem to be not always generated ;_;"?
[13:44] <th> ahhhhh errors!
[13:44] <fake> th:
[13:44] <fake> udevtest /class/scsi_generic/sg1
[13:44] <th>  [5] x11/xorg                            [5] x11/tk
[13:44] <th>  [5] blindcoder/nas                      [5] gnome14/gtk+12
[13:44] <th>  [5] clifford/xmms                       [5] gnome2/cairo
[13:44] <th>  [5] gnome2/pango                        
[13:44] <th> fake: you broke it!
[13:44] <daja77_> what's wrong with pango?
[13:46] <th> depends on the gtk+12 i guess
[13:46] <fake> me?
[13:46] <th> fake: i was just guessing
[13:46] <fake> what did i do? i fixed it
[13:46] <fake> it's blindcoder's hotfix
[13:46] stf^rocklinux (n=user@heim-034-205.raab-heim.uni-linz.ac.at) left #rocklinux.
[13:46] <th> Apply patch /ROCK/package/x11/xorg/x11r6.9.0-geteuid.patch ...
[13:46] <th> patching file programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/common/xf86Init.c
[13:46] <th> Hunk #1 FAILED at 1376.
[13:46] <th> Hunk #2 FAILED at 1679.
[13:46] <th> it's daja's fault?
[13:47] <daja77_> huh? me? what?
[13:47] <blindcoder> o_O
[13:47] <daja77_> blindy made that patch
[13:48] <blindcoder> I only downloaded it via a link on heise >_<
[13:48] <fake> th: fix is already in trunk
[13:48] <fake> th: err
[13:48] <fake> th: no
[13:48] <fake> th: it's against xorg 6.9.0. we have 6.8.2 in trunk.
[13:49] <fake> th: i was already wondering what you all were doing...
[13:49] <fake> th: thought it may apply to 6.8.2, too.
[13:50] stf^rocklinux (n=user@heim-034-205.raab-heim.uni-linz.ac.at) joined #rocklinux.
[13:50] <th> fake: that build is no journal.
[13:50] <th> fake: it is a vanilla r7332
[13:51] <fake> th: apply the x.org update and try again 8)
[13:52] <fake> th: but i guess it won't work with the vanilla kernel headers we have.
[13:52] <fake> th: that's why im a bit stuck atm.
[13:53] <fake> th: i want to upgrade the kernel, but the headers are foobar, so we use linux-libc-headers, which makes xorg 6.9.0 compile... 
[13:53] <th> my last journal with the starting revision for it worked fine.
[13:53] <th> so the latest patches to trunk broke it.
[13:53] <fake> th: xorg is broken, because the hotfix _NAMED_ to be for xorg 6.9.0 will NOT apply to 6.8.2 !!!
[13:53] <fake> th: you commited it!
[13:54] <daja77_> no it was me
[13:54] <th> fake: it wasn't
[13:54] <fake> oh
[13:54] <fake> whatever ;)
[13:54] <th> yea
[13:54] <th> so
[13:54] <th> 13:49:28 < th> it's daja's fault?
[13:54] <fake> then let's just revert that 2 patches
[13:54] <th> two?
[13:54] <fake> i fixed the -p1 thing yesterday
[13:54] Action: daja77_ silently walks away
[13:54] <th> daja77_: so your hotfix was not for trunk, but for fake's journal?
[13:54] <fake> i was testing xorg 6.9.0 anyways, so...
[13:54] <netrunner> http://www.sueddeutsche.de/panorama/spiele/perstest/74/72002/
[13:55] <fake> i didn't notice.
[13:55] <th> fake: understood the "two" now.
[13:55] <th> 13:57:20 < th> daja77_: so your hotfix was not for trunk, but for fake's journal?
[13:55] <daja77_> if trunk still has 6.8.x then yes
[13:55] <fake> he couldn't have known about my journal
[13:56] <fake> as the xorg 6.9.0 update just went into sm - as WIP
[13:56] <fake> th: wtf, it's just a .patch file too much, svn rename it or something
[13:57] <th> daja77_: ok - so i'll rename it
[13:57] <fake> and i'll re-rename it when i commit the xorg upgrade
[13:57] <daja77_> well there were two security patches from blindy, and clifford said go on and apply them, that's what i did ..
[13:57] <fake> (if i don't forget about it)
[13:58] <fake> daja77_: np
[13:58] <fake> could've said something either
[13:58] <fake> th: what does udevtest /block/sdb/
[13:59] <th> fake: i want to rename it NOW, so i can continue my vanilla build
[14:01] <fake> th: why not rename it now?
[14:02] <th> fake: that's what i want to do
[14:03] <fake> th: i'm not stopping you?
[14:03] <fake> am i?
[14:03] <fake> no. in cas i am, i'll just go and have a cigarette.
[14:03] <fake> *case
[14:03] <fake> just to be sure i'm not doing anything ;)
[14:03] <daja77_> :D
[14:04] <stf^rocklinux> moin
[14:15] <fake> hrm
[14:15] <fake> udevtest /block/sdb/ is stating it will create the devices
[14:18] <fake> hm
[14:18] <fake> can't the whole /dev/discs be handeled by GROUP= statements?
[14:18] <fake> doesn't seem so
[14:20] <fake> aaah!
[14:20] <fake> SUBSYSTEM=="block", SYSFS{removable}=="1",      GROUP="floppy"
[14:20] <fake> so, every removable block device is a floppy!
[14:21] <blindcoder> MUAHAHAHA
[14:21] <daja77_> ouch
[14:21] <fake> (we don't even have a floppy group)
[14:21] <blindcoder> fake: don't you know that USB sticks are bendable?
[14:22] <fake> i'll remove that line
[14:22] <fake> (then it's group 'disk')
[14:30] <fake> i'll reboot with these new settings
[14:48] <stf^rocklinux> ... "and that was the last we've heard of him", the old man said. ^^
[14:50] <fake> no
[14:50] <fake> i'm re-diffing the linux-libc-headers patch before rebooting ;)
[14:52] <stf^rocklinux> good :)
[14:52] <th> so i'm restarting the crystal build
[14:52] <th> the vanilla one
[14:52] <th> r7333
[15:19] <stf^rocklinux> th: please mark patches 2006032122314413122 and 2006032122123211934 as applied
[15:19] <stf^rocklinux> (my rockinitrd patches)
[15:22] <th> stf^rocklinux: done
[15:22] <stf^rocklinux> th: thanks :)
[15:23] <fake> they are?
[15:23] <fake> cool
[15:23] <fake> stf^rocklinux: seen my rediff?
[15:23] <daja77_> ah fake is back
[15:23] <stf^rocklinux> fake: not yet
[15:24] <fake> https://www.rocklinux.net/submaster/smadm.cgi?i=2006032315024425215
[15:24] <fake> now i'll commit udev rules/permission updates
[15:24] <fake> then i'll test the udev update to 088
[15:24] <fake> commit it
[15:24] <fake> then i'll fix xterm building
[15:25] <fake> then i'll start a crystal build with linux-libc-headers, linux 2.6.16 and xorg 6.9.0
[15:25] <fake> tada.
[15:25] <fake> s/commit/sm send/
[15:25] <stf^rocklinux> fake: why the extra semicolon in basic.set?
[15:26] <stf^rocklinux> +/ linux-drm /          { s/^X /O / ; p; d; };
[15:26] <fake> stf^rocklinux: i copied it from somewhere lower
[15:26] <fake> stf^rocklinux: doesn't harm
[15:26] <fake> linux-drm gets built anyways >_M
[15:26] <fake> it always was.
[15:26] <stf^rocklinux> fake: ok
[15:29] Nick change: daja77_ -> daja77
[15:31] <fake> th: don't forget to re-disable udev_log="debug" in your udev.conf
[15:32] <fake> th: it is *very* debuggy-ish on boot
[15:45] <clifford> http://www.clifford.at/priv/dependencies.png
[15:45] Action: clifford really hates this graph!
[15:46] <daja77> urgh this time it is even worse
[15:49] <fake> wuahaha
[15:49] <daja77> wtf graphviz needs libgphoto?
[15:49] <fake> yes, it's my fault linux depends on file and file on linux
[15:50] <fake> https://www.rocklinux.net/submaster/smadm.cgi?i=2006032205150913148
[15:50] <clifford> daja77: no. libgphoto need graphviz
[15:51] Action: daja77 scratches his head
[15:51] <fake> x has itself in it's dependency ?
[15:51] <fake> what's Package_X ?
[15:51] <clifford> this graph only show cyclic dependencies.
[15:51] <netrunner> fake: explanation
[15:51] <fake> aaaw
[15:51] <daja77> clifford: perhaps for documentation generation, lemme look
[15:52] <clifford> the libgphoto build process calls 'dot'.
[15:52] <clifford> thats what I see in the dep-debug file for libgphoto.
[15:53] <clifford> I'm now removing the old xfree86 .cache file. I think we do not really need it anymore
[15:53] <fake> no, kill it
[15:54] <clifford> that way we can eliminate the linux -> xfre86 -> linux dependencie ..
[15:54] <fake> i wouldn't sell it that way, sounds like avoiding problems 8)
[15:55] <clifford> well, we are going to remove the xfree86 package anyway, aren't we?
[15:56] <daja77> clifford: so libgphoto fails if dot is not there, i don't find a dot call in the build log
[15:56] <fake> that's the fact i would pronounce, yes ;)
[15:56] <clifford> so. it does not fail when dot is not there. but it calls dot if it can find it.
[15:57] <clifford> so when we build it in one order we get a different libgphoto package then in the other order.
[15:58] <daja77> clifford: can you check if in that build log where dot is used the api documentation generation is switched on? here it is off, perhaps we can just disable it with a config switch and avoid that conflict
[15:58] <daja77> i guess the use dot doxygen like stuff
[15:58] <daja77> they*
[16:00] <daja77> and for the gnome stuff ... well 2.14 is out
[16:00] Action: daja77 hides
[16:00] <fake> th: is md5sum creation for symlinks disabled yet?
[16:00] <fake> th: having problems emerging udev here 
[16:00] <clifford> daja77: I can simply blacklist the graphviz -> libgphoto dependency so it is not honoured.
[16:00] <fake> th: it's md5summing /dev/zero, i guess
[16:01] <daja77> if that's easier
[16:01] <th> i think stf found out and made the patch
[16:01] <daja77> hm esound needs arts and vice versa 
[16:02] <th> clifford: perhaps it could be a good idea to add a variable for package.conf where `package` can add a list of other packages on which it does NOT depend
[16:03] <clifford> th: such a thing does exist already. do not re-invent the wheel.. ;-)
[16:03] <th> clifford: i was not starting to invent.
[16:03] <daja77> just rolling on ;)
[16:03] <th> clifford: so just ignore what i said ;)
[16:03] <clifford> "[E] del packagename"  in the *.desc file
[16:03] <th> perhaps it would be good idea to use that wheel?
[16:04] <clifford> but that is only ment for real false dependencies.
[16:04] <clifford> stuff like the graphviz <-> libgphoto thing goes to scripts/dep_fixes.txt
[16:05] <fake> clifford: how about setting the 'default' build options initially set by scripts/Config to crystal?
[16:06] <clifford> new graph.
[16:06] <clifford> damit. same thing with xorg.
[16:07] <fake> hrmpf.
[16:07] <daja77> btw thx for the graphviz update reminder ;)
[16:10] <daja77> .oO (good we have no realplayer package)
[16:26] <fake> let's kick /dev/discs alltogether
[16:28] <th> no
[16:28] <th> that would suck
[16:29] <fake> no, totally not
[16:29] <th> hehe
[16:29] <th> users would really miss the /dev/discs/ links
[16:29] <fake> we could use it in the installer, et alas, by adding 'persistent storage' in /dev/disk/by-{id,uuid,label,path,name}
[16:30] <daja77> especially when using usb sticks ..
[16:30] <fake> daja77: see my last line
[16:31] <th> fake: what's the actual problem? is it that the "disc" events not being emitted?
[16:31] <fake> th: that, and the race condition
[16:32] <fake> th: and the race condition is non-trivial to fix without severe performance impacts
[16:32] <th> fake: you propably would not mind trying that /dev/disk/by-{id,uuid,label,path,name} and showing it to me?
[16:32] <th> fake: like making a patch
[16:33] <fake> th: actually, i'm already at it :)
[16:33] <th> the main reason my users use /dev/discs is for usb-storage.
[16:33] Action: daja77 guessed that
[16:33] <th> they have in their fstab: /dev/discs/disc1/part1 -> /mnt/usb
[16:34] <th> so this works with every usb stick. it's not fixed to a label
[16:34] <daja77> it might still with some strange usb sticks where you have to mount disc instead of part1 
[16:43] daja77_ (n=daja77@dslb-088-072-048-159.pools.arcor-ip.net) joined #rocklinux.
[16:43] <fake> kernel names and /dev/scsi/* as 'real devices' ?
[16:43] <fake> err
[16:43] <fake> i mean
[16:44] <fake> is it okay if the 'real devices' are called like /dev/sda and there are symlinks in /dev/scsi ?
[16:44] Action: fake nods to himself
[16:44] <daja77_> :D
[16:46] <fake> th: you can add a rule like:
[16:47] ija (n=ija@108.242.80.212.versanetonline.de) left irc: "leaving"
[16:49] <fake> SUBSYSTEM=="scsi_device", ACTION=="add", KERNEL=="sd??", RUN+="/sbin/mount %k /mnt/stick"
[16:49] <fake> hehe
[16:49] <fake> *ANY* sd device will be mounted there ;)
[16:49] <fake> you can also call shell scripts to decide where to mount things...
[16:49] <fake> or if at all.
[16:51] <th> fake: i just want a non-changing device name like /dev/discs/disc1/part1 for changing usb sticks.
[16:52] <fake> th: is it okay to plug the usb stick into the same usb slot every time?
[16:52] <fake> th: then by-path is what you want
[16:53] <fake> in fact, you can just auto-mount any of the usb-ports
[16:53] <fake> all of them, i mean
[16:54] <fake> nevermind, i will sm send a patch, just want to reboot once more.
[16:54] <th> fake: no it's not
[16:54] <th> i dont want to automount
[16:54] <th> the users want to mount theirself
[16:54] <th> to make it their uid
[16:55] daja77 (n=daja77@dslb-088-072-040-115.pools.arcor-ip.net) left irc: Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)
[16:55] <netrunner> th: new kde + hal pops up a nice window if you plug usb stick
[16:55] <fake> th: i don't see the problem
[16:55] <fake> fstab: noauto,user
[16:55] <th> fake: on which device?
[16:55] <fake> on the usb ports?
[16:55] <th> fake: currently it's noauto,user for /dev/discs/disc1/part1
[16:56] <th> which is always the first additional (like usb-storage) disk
[16:56] <fake> th: for pci-0000:00:1d.7-usb-0:7:1.0-scsi-0:0:0:0-part1
[16:56] <fake> this is always the usb port at the front of my computer
[16:56] <th> that's limiting it to a special usb host/adapter/target
[16:56] <th> they want to plug it in the monitor or keyboard or usb extension cord
[16:57] <th> that's almost always a different device
[16:57] <fake> th: of course, dev/_DISK_/by-path returns only DISKS
[16:57] <th> /dev/discs/disc1/part1 was collecting this together in a unique location
[16:57] <fake> and that device even only EXISTS if a disk is plugged in
[16:57] <th> yes - which is fine
[16:57] <th> it can be in fstab without existing
[16:57] <th> they plug in. then it exists. then they mount
[16:57] <fake> in a way, it's exactly like /dev/discs
[16:58] <th> so what would they enter in their fstab?
[16:58] <th> just name it
[16:59] <fake>  /dev/disk/by-path/pci-0000:00:1d.7-usb-0:7:1.0-scsi-0:0:0:0-part1 /mnt/stick noauto,user
[16:59] <th> 1.) this is way to complex
[16:59] <fake> *LOL*
[16:59] <th> 2.) i dont think this will work with whatever usb hub is used.
[16:59] <fake> mount /mnt/stick ?
[16:59] <th> no writing this to their fstab!
[17:00] <fake> editing the fstab is an admin task.. ?
[17:00] <th> they understand /dev/discs/disc1/ cause that is the 2nd disk!
[17:00] <th> fake: they are admins
[17:00] <fake> then they will not fear ls /dev/disk/by-path
[17:00] <th> fake: they are smart enough to understand and edit fstabs
[17:00] <fake> do they use mice?
[17:00] <th> i revoke my "they are admins"
[17:00] <th> but they are smart enough to edit fstab
[17:01] <fake> *sigh*
[17:01] <th> they use mice and 80column terminals
[17:01] <th> can't we have a /dev/discs/by_order/ ?
[17:01] <th> by_number
[17:01] <th> whatever
[17:02] <fake> th: if you write a working, non-race-conditioned script for it
[17:02] <fake> th: i don't have the need for it, and i don't have a use case urging me to do it ;)
[17:02] <fake> th: with the current situation, this doesn't work either
[17:02] <th> we're just loosing a feature here.
[17:03] <fake> th: so i wouldn't be breaking anything
[17:03] <th> which is /dev/discs/disc*/
[17:03] <fake> and we're getting persistent storage!
[17:03] ija (n=ija@47.242.80.212.versanetonline.de) joined #rocklinux.
[17:03] <fake> and if you're concered about device names being to complex, there is /dev/sdX and /dev/hdX now!
[17:03] <fake> i can leave the /dev/discs code in if you want
[17:03] <fake> but it won't work 
[17:03] <th> i'm comparing to devfs times
[17:04] <fake> it will create multiple discs-entries every now and then
[17:04] <th> so perhaps i need to work on that /dev/discs/ script again
[17:04] <th> being the 2rd
[17:04] <th> aehm
[17:04] <th> 3rd
[17:04] <fake> i just realized that this has absolutely no priority for me
[17:05] <th> could we have /dev/usb-discX ?
[17:05] <fake> the installer is the only place where i use it
[17:05] <th> how would that work?
[17:06] <th> i think we should have some device name that always represents the first usb-storage disk
[17:06] <fake>  /dev/disk/by-path/pci-*-usb-*
[17:06] <fake> th: i agree
[17:07] <th> if symlinks would be able to resolve patterns...
[17:07] <fake> th: fuse ;)
[17:07] <th> argh;)
[17:08] <fake> i'll have a smoke and think about this
[17:08] <th> so what do we have? by-path, by-label, by-uuiud
[17:16] <fake> argh!
[17:16] <fake> by-id
[17:16] <th> and why should the missing "disc" event not affect this new naming scheme?
[17:17] <fake> it doesn't
[17:17] <fake> i have no idea why
[17:17] <fake> and the 'argh' above ment: my computer is set to UTC
[17:17] <th> the event should have no idea how it is handled
[17:17] <th> what's the problem with utc?
[17:18] <fake> it's one hour earlier on my kde clock than it really is.
[17:18] <th> fake: you should better be aware of this. else you might risk being late somewhere.
[17:18] <th> ;)
[17:18] <fake> that is a problem - i need to clean up my whole flat in less than 10 minutes now, because my sister is coming to visit
[17:18] <fake> *panic*
[17:18] <th> you better detach irc first.
[17:19] <fake> th: i'll be back later, at around 8 or something.
[17:19] <daja77_> panic: life sucks!
[17:19] <daja77_> ;)
[17:19] <fake> DON'T PANIC
[17:19] <fake> ;-)
[17:19] <daja77_> exactly
[17:19] <th> daja77_: could you fix our udev mess in the meanwhile?
[17:19] <daja77_> uwhat?
[17:19] <th> hmm
[17:19] <th> daja77_: you'll get to know.
[17:20] <daja77_> *sigh*
[17:20] Action: daja77_ just thinking about his runtime predictions
[18:15] <th> kubuntu seems to have a working scsi-devfs.sh
[18:19] <th> and /dev/discs just looks as in old times
[18:33] raphael_wels (n=raphael@lehrenetz.fh-wels.at) joined #rocklinux.
[18:40] <raphael_wels> anyone has a linux system around? Can you tell me what the "ls -f" does? (that is, the -f parameter to ls)
[18:41] <stf^rocklinux> raphael:        -f     do not sort, enable -aU, disable -lst
[18:42] <stf^rocklinux> from man ls
[18:42] <raphael_wels> stf^rocklinux: thanks, that's good
[18:52] <raphael_wels> btw, [ raphael ] is not available until tomorrow evening
[18:52] <raphael_wels> and I'm off now, too
[18:52] <raphael_wels> cu
[18:52] raphael_wels (n=raphael@lehrenetz.fh-wels.at) left irc: "using sirc version 2.211+KSIRC/1.3.12"
[18:53] nookie (n=nookie@85-124-48-125.dynamic.xdsl-line.inode.at) joined #rocklinux.
[19:01] madtux (i=miguel@pf0.hostarica.com) joined #rocklinux.
[19:01] <madtux> hey,
[19:03] <daja77_> hi madtux 
[19:18] Action: stf^rocklinux has started a generic build with all his pro-votes from SubMaster today :)
[19:21] <th> http://www.rocklinux.net/people/teha/etc_udev_kubuntu_install.tgz
[19:48] <madtux> http://unix.rulez.org/~calver/pictures/curves.jpg
[20:01] nookie (n=nookie@85-124-48-125.dynamic.xdsl-line.inode.at) left irc: Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)
[20:06] <fake> damn, i forgot my notebook @work
[20:07] <fake> brb...
[20:14] <owl> you're really a confused person, fake 
[21:05] <blindcoder> g'evening
[21:05] <stf^rocklinux> hi blindcoder
[21:18] <fake> so
[21:20] <stf^rocklinux> fake: I'm testing your patches (linux-libc-headers and co) in a generic build
[21:21] <fake> stf^rocklinux: i'll test crystal once i got xterm compiled
[21:22] <fake> th: have you tested the script?
[21:25] <fake> th: they're using /sys/block
[21:25] <fake> th: not a bad idea ;)
[21:25] <fake> stf^rocklinux: s/compiled/to compile/
[21:39] <stf^rocklinux> fake: xterm is an external component to xorg (it is included though) and might not be enabled by default
[21:40] <stf^rocklinux> fake: anyhow the xorg build instructions recommend using the system's xterm ...
[21:40] <stf^rocklinux> http://ftp.x.org/pub/X11R6.9.0/doc/html/BUILD.html
[21:41] <stf^rocklinux> 3rd paragraph
[21:42] <stf^rocklinux> btw. with 6.9 xorg also uses the system's freetype2 by default :)
[21:43] <fake> nice!
[21:46] <fake> xterm doesn't even have a version number?
[21:48] <fake> it can be re-enabled in host.def
[21:48] <fake> exactly what i was looking for. thanks stf!
[21:49] <fake> gcc 4.0.3 is out since 10.3.
[21:52] <stf^rocklinux> fake: there's a binutils update too
[21:58] <fake> stf^rocklinux: i've got your patch in my x86_64 journal ;)
[21:58] <fake> where has th gone?
[22:01] Total_Blackout (n=bob@71-34-57-153.mpls.qwest.net) joined #rocklinux.
[22:01] <stf^rocklinux> faku: I don't know. I'm away for 10 minutes
[22:01] <Total_Blackout> hwllo
[22:01] <stf^rocklinux> err, sorry fake
[22:01] <Total_Blackout> does anyone know how to copy a dvd with bad centors in it in linux?
[22:01] <Total_Blackout> sectors
[22:02] <stf^rocklinux> hi Total_Blackout
[22:02] <Total_Blackout> hello
[22:02] <Total_Blackout> im useing k3b and told it to skip over bad sectors but it is taking a LONG time
[22:03] <fake> dd_rescue
[22:03] <Total_Blackout> never used it before
[22:03] <fake> Total_Blackout: what did you expect? of course it takes time...
[22:03] <Total_Blackout> i dont even know if im doing it right... thats kinda what im wondering
[22:04] <fake> i ripped a cd once with cdparanio that was lying in the rain for 3 days (+2nights)
[22:04] <fake> it took 2 days to rip it, but the audio was crystal clear ;)
[22:04] <Total_Blackout> wow
[22:04] <Total_Blackout> the prog is called cdparanio?
[22:04] <fake> it's audio-only
[22:04] <Total_Blackout> o :(
[22:05] <fake> but for generic block devices (also for hard disks), i use dd_rescue, it's in freshmeat
[22:05] <Total_Blackout> thanks :)
[22:05] <fake> there should be documentation somewhere on goggle.com ;-))
[22:06] <fake> th: the usb stick not generating the 'disc' event is also present with the udev script from ubuntu
[22:07] <fake> th: their /dev/discs works though
[22:07] netrunner (n=andreas@anvame.net) left irc: Remote closed the connection
[22:13] netrunner (n=andreas@anvame.net) joined #rocklinux.
[22:15] Total_Blackout (n=bob@71-34-57-153.mpls.qwest.net) left irc: Remote closed the connection
[22:18] <fake> th: if you're up for a fun read, look into the links.conf file from your tarball above ;)
[22:27] <fake> xterm error: invalid group 'utmp'. arghl.
[22:35] <fake> #define InstallXtermSetGID NO
[22:36] [raphael] (n=raphael@raphael.netpark.at) left irc: Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)
[22:36] [raphael] (n=raphael@raphael.netpark.at) joined #rocklinux.
[22:38] <th> i was away
[22:38] <th> fake: i tested in in my kubuntu test-install
[22:38] <th> and their kde help works too
[22:38] <fake> th: i dropped it on my rock box
[22:38] <fake> the scsi-devfs.sh
[22:39] <fake> with the lates udev patch i sent to sm, it's a drop-in replacement
[22:39] <fake> i'm now searching for another usb stick while xorg compiles (again)
[22:40] <fake> i'm wondering why this disc device event is not handeled, i need assurance ;)
[22:40] <th> still not on my test machine
[22:40] <fake> th: there is some pretty neat stuff in that tarball
[22:41] <fake> th: you're also not getting the disc device, but /dev/sdb ?
[22:41] <th> still not on my test machine
[22:42] <fake> ill not on my test machine
[22:42] <th> fake: you're asking if i get a sdb without disk event?
[22:42] <stf^rocklinux> th: what about the kde help does not work?
[22:42] <fake> th: i'm asking wether there is a /dev/discs/disc1/disc device
[22:42] <th> stf^rocklinux: pardon?
[22:42] <th> fake: i think there was
[22:42] <fake> th: for your usb stick/sata_nv/*
[22:43] <fake> interesting.
[22:43] <fake> let me dig out that external hd...
[22:43] <stf^rocklinux> th: because you said kubuntus kde help works too...
[22:44] <fake> stf^rocklinux: their /dev/discs works, and the help too
[22:44] <th> stf^rocklinux: yes. our konqueror help is broken
[22:45] <stf^rocklinux> th: doesn't seem to be broken here :S
[22:45] <th> stf^rocklinux: my test iso?
[22:46] <th> stf^rocklinux: or at least some vanilla trunk?
[22:46] <th> stf^rocklinux: or a journal+trunk?
[22:46] <stf^rocklinux> no, my test build 
[22:46] <stf^rocklinux> th: yes trunk with smpatches
[22:46] <th> hmm
[22:46] <th> any patches which could be relevant for fixing kde help?
[22:46] <th> it's talking about not generated indexes
[22:47] <stf^rocklinux> here I'm asked if I want to generate help indexes, but it seems to work without them
[22:47] <fake> indexes are for whiners, anyways...
[22:48] <th> stf^rocklinux: i get the question as well
[22:48] <stf^rocklinux> of course I have to install the relevant :doc packages...
[22:48] <th> stf^rocklinux: can you do a `mine -l | grep konqueror/index.html` for me?
[22:48] <fake> ... which are not part of crystal
[22:48] <th> stf^rocklinux: any match on that?
[22:48] <stf^rocklinux> fake: exactly
[22:48] <th> oh
[22:49] <fake> stf solved the problem *ggg*
[22:49] <th> yea
[22:49] <th> no :doc?
[22:49] <th> oh
[22:49] Last message repeated 1 time(s).
[22:49] <th> ok
[22:49] <th> no :doc?
[22:49] <th> oh
[22:49] <th> hmm
[22:49] <th> ok
[22:49] <fake> 21c3
[22:49] <fake> you were there, iirc
[22:49] <th> i missed that?
[22:49] <th> yea i were on 21c3
[22:49] <fake> obviously
[22:50] <fake> didn't blindcoder even videotape it?
[22:50] <th> so we decided to drop :doc?
[22:50] <th> from crystal?
[22:51] <th> what's eating up all our space on the iso?
[22:51] <th> kubuntu iso has openoffice + kdee
[22:51] <th> on one iso
[22:52] <fake> and they're not even optimizing for size, i guess
[22:52] <stf^rocklinux> th: take a look with kdirstat :)
[22:53] <stf^rocklinux> th: btw there's no file with that name here
[22:53] <th> oh
[22:53] <th> interesting
[22:54] <th> i thought help browser complained about missing that file
[22:54] <th> "handbuch von konqueror" or something
[22:55] Action: fake firing up external usb-ide-drive
[22:56] <fake> nope, no disc device
[22:56] <fake> *grmbl*
[22:56] <th> could you remove all partitions?
[22:57] <fake> how?
[22:57] <th> fdisk on the disc device ;-)
[22:57] <fake> rm /dev/discs/disc1/part*
[22:57] <fake> hahha
[22:57] <fake> ;)
[22:57] <th> do you have /dev/sdX for the usb-disk?
[22:57] <fake> yes. sure. let me just check what's actually on the disk 
[22:58] <th> how could the sdX be added without disc event?
[22:58] <fake> (160 gig disk laying around in my cupboard - either broken or very valuable ;)
[22:58] <fake> th: in the log file... (let me check...)
[22:59] <fake> udev_rules_get_name: no node name set, will use kernel name 'sda'
[23:00] <fake> the event is an 'add' event for a 'block' device
[23:00] <fake> udevtest /block/sda/ shows the correct rule should be executed...
[23:00] <th> so the kubuntu devfs.rules needs it's helpers
[23:01] <fake> ?
[23:01] <fake> it's the same as with our scsi-devfs.sh
[23:01] <fake> the other devices/parts get created correctly
[23:04] <th> 335 builds total, 246 completed fine, 0 with errors.
[23:04] <th> r7333
[23:04] <th> vanilla
[23:05] <fake> th: could you google "no node name set, will use kernel name" udev for me?
[23:06] <fake> my xorg is still compiling ;)
[23:08] <fake> maybe combined with scsi
[23:08] <fake> ah, xorg is in the install run...
[23:08] <fake> DAMN! it failed AGAIN!
[23:09] <fake> with the same error as before ;_;
[23:09] <fake> i vote for making xterm a separate package. con-votes?
[23:10] <th> uhh
[23:10] <th> you can split it
[23:10] <th> haha
[23:11] <th> what's the matter with xterm?
[23:11] <th> it's not in the standard build any longer?
[23:11] <th> replaced by uxterm?
[23:14] <stf^rocklinux> th: it's still included, but disabled by default.
[23:14] <th> stf^rocklinux: yea i meant that by "included in the build"
[23:14] <stf^rocklinux> th: so it can be updated separately of xorg
[23:14] <th> ahh
[23:15] <th> so no uxterm either
[23:15] <th> if that is the case.
[23:15] <stf^rocklinux> fake: I'm all for it
[23:15] <th> thatn the authors intended to have it separated.
[23:15] <th> so we should have it in a separate package
[23:15] <fake> yes. it seems so.
[23:16] <stf^rocklinux> th: yes that is also recommended in the xorg build docs.
[23:16] <fake> okay, re-installing xorg gem
[23:17] <th> so that's the way to go. i'm all for it.
[23:17] <fake> should i extract it from the xorg 6.9.0 tarball, or download it seperately?
[23:17] <stf^rocklinux> btw. xorg 6.9.0 and 7.0 contain the same source code, but the 7.0 build system is modular
[23:17] <th> hmmm
[23:17] <fake> the download seems weitf
[23:17] <stf^rocklinux> fake: there's an xterm homepage
[23:17] <fake> *weird
[23:17] <fake> stf^rocklinux: have you visited it?
[23:18] <fake> stf^rocklinux: there is one source tarball call xterm.tar.gz
[23:18] <th> it's included in the xorg sources?
[23:18] <th> why redownload it
[23:18] <th> use that source
[23:18] <fake> until we need to update it, why not.
[23:18] <stf^rocklinux> yes: fake xorg 6.9.0 includes xterm #207, the latest is #211
[23:18] <th> oh
[23:18] <fake> stf^rocklinux: where do you  see thah?
[23:18] <th> so xorg is only having a vendor branch of xterm included?
[23:18] <th> in that case i'm for using the original source
[23:19] <stf^rocklinux> here: http://dickey.his.com/xterm/xterm.log.html
[23:19] <fake> okay, i'll use that one then
[23:20] <fake> i just couldn't find any version information
[23:20] <fake> th: did you notice the 'mutt' weirdness yet?
[23:21] <fake> stf^rocklinux: as i still have no browser, can you give me the source url?
[23:21] <fake> i have it
[23:21] <fake> wgetted the index.html ;)
[23:22] <th> fake: mutt weirdness?
[23:22] <th> nope
[23:22] <fake> th: start mutt
[23:22] <fake> th: in PL1
[23:22] <th> uh
[23:23] <stf^rocklinux> th: maybe caused by pentium2 optimization?
[23:23] <fake> th: if you remove all 'macro' lines in /etc/Muttrc, it works ;)
[23:23] <th> damn
[23:24] Action: fake afk now for some time, bbl
[23:25] <stf^rocklinux> th: nevermind the pentium2 thing, mutt fails the same with a pentium-mmx build
[23:30] <th> damn again
[23:32] <owl> gn8
[23:34] <th> nothing strange in muttlog
[23:34] <th> hmm the mutt.conf looks so innocent
[23:42] <th> i'll check that tomorrow
[23:42] <th> in the r7333 build
[23:43] <daja77_> re
[23:45] <stf^rocklinux> wb daja
[23:45] <th> i wont do anything today
[23:45] <daja77_> so wait 10 minutes ;)
[23:50] <th> i'm leaving
[23:50] <daja77_> n8 th
[23:51] <th> first day before 3AM since long
[23:51] <daja77_> yeah
[23:51] <daja77_> i'll be off soon too
[00:00] --- Fri Mar 24 2006