[00:04] ija (n=ija@84.19.217.60) got netsplit.
[00:04] esden (n=esdentem@pallas.crash-override.net) got netsplit.
[00:06] ija (n=ija@84.19.217.60) returned to #rocklinux.
[00:06] esden (n=esdentem@pallas.crash-override.net) returned to #rocklinux.
[00:06] ija (n=ija@84.19.217.60) left irc: Read error: 131 (Connection reset by peer)
[00:06] ija (n=ija@84.19.217.60) joined #rocklinux.
[01:30] kensai (n=kensai@206.248.80.61) joined #rocklinux.
[01:38] kensai (n=kensai@206.248.80.61) left irc: "Leaving"
[02:10] kensai (n=kensai@206.248.97.14) joined #rocklinux.
[03:49] blindcoder (i=blindcod@gateway/gpg-tor/key-0x384243C9) left irc: Remote closed the connection
[03:52] blindcoder (i=blindcod@gateway/gpg-tor/key-0x384243C9) joined #rocklinux.
[04:55] rocklogbot (n=rocklogb@pallas.crash-override.net) left irc: Remote closed the connection
[04:56] rocklogbot (n=rocklogb@pallas.crash-override.net) joined #rocklinux.
[05:47] blindcoder (i=blindcod@gateway/gpg-tor/key-0x384243C9) left irc: Remote closed the connection
[05:48] blindcoder (i=blindcod@gateway/gpg-tor/key-0x384243C9) joined #rocklinux.
[06:36] rocklogbot (n=rocklogb@pallas.crash-override.net) left irc: Remote closed the connection
[06:36] rocklogbot (n=rocklogb@pallas.crash-override.net) joined #rocklinux.
[07:26] blindcoder (i=blindcod@gateway/gpg-tor/key-0x384243C9) left irc: Remote closed the connection
[07:43] blindcoder (i=blindcod@gateway/gpg-tor/key-0x384243C9) joined #rocklinux.
[07:43] <blindcoder> moin
[07:48] rocklogbot (n=rocklogb@pallas.crash-override.net) left irc: Remote closed the connection
[07:49] rocklogbot (n=rocklogb@pallas.crash-override.net) joined #rocklinux.
[07:53] blindcod1r (i=blindcod@gateway/gpg-tor/key-0x384243C9) joined #rocklinux.
[07:53] blindcoder (i=blindcod@gateway/gpg-tor/key-0x384243C9) left irc: Nick collision from services.
[07:53] Nick change: blindcod1r -> blindcoder
[08:04] netrunner (n=andreas@anvame.net) joined #rocklinux.
[08:17] <stf^rocklinux> moin
[08:24] <netrunner> moin, 2
[08:52] <blindcoder> moin moin
[10:07] kensai (n=kensai@206.248.97.14) left irc: "Leaving"
[11:40] <th> linux26 package fails if no mkinitrd is found. can we somehow introduce an option so that it is possible to not have mkinitrd run?
[12:01] <blindcoder> th: pkgcheck rockinitrd?
[12:49] <th> so this would make initrd and irfs mutual exclusive
[12:49] <th> hmmm
[12:50] <th> ah ok well. not necessarily
[12:50] <th> but somewhat
[12:51] <th> +       choice ROCKCFG_PKG_LINUX_FIRSTSTAGE initrd \
[12:51] <th> +               none 'Do not perform any creation of early stage images' \
[12:51] <th> +               initrd 'Use mkinitrd to create an early stage initrd' \
[12:51] <th> +               ramfs 'Use mkinitramfs to create an early stage cpio (EXPERIMENTAL)'
[12:51] <th> how about this one?
[12:51] <th> in package/base/linux/config-500.in
[12:52] <blindcoder> sounds fine
[12:52] <th> okay
[12:52] <netrunner> what means earlystages? why not just skip it?
[12:54] <blindcoder> netrunner: initial ramdisk? initial ramfs? every heard?
[12:55] <blindcoder> netrunner: for stuff like root-on-raid and such
[13:07] <th> netrunner: you cant skip it if you do more sophisticated things than just boot from /dev/[sh]d[abc...]
[13:13] rocklogbot (n=rocklogb@pallas.crash-override.net) left irc: Remote closed the connection
[13:13] rocklogbot (n=rocklogb@pallas.crash-override.net) joined #rocklinux.
[14:10] <netrunner> blindcoder: I know what is a ramdisk. but what means early stage? like stage <3?
[14:11] <netrunner> i.e. build stage?
[14:12] <blindcoder> netrunner: no, not ROCK stage
[14:12] <blindcoder> netrunner: boot stage
[14:12] <blindcoder> netrunner: bootloader -> kernel -> early boot stage (initrd/initramfs) -> real root -> init
[14:16] <netrunner> so what is the late boot stage?
[14:16] <th> the one running init
[14:17] <netrunner> aha.
[14:17] <th> handling runlevels and such
[14:17] <netrunner> does initrd break swsusp btw?
[14:17] <th> propably
[14:17] <th> but i dont know much aboutit
[14:18] <th> it would be good to trigger sw-unsuspend by userland
[14:18] <th> so it's possible to do so in early stage
[14:18] <netrunner> I just noticed that on my old x40, whith the ide driver on the initrd, he never resumes from hibernation.
[14:19] <blindcoder> IIRC swsusp is handled by kernel parameters (resume at least)
[14:19] <th> yes
[14:19] <blindcoder> so unless you do funny things to your swap, you should be fine
[14:19] <th> well
[14:19] <th> swap on lvm
[14:20] <blindcoder> kernelexec?
[14:20] <blindcoder> or kexec it's called I think
[14:21] <th> well and how does the lvm-swap become real swap in the new kernel?
[14:24] <netrunner> blindcoder: the kernel resumes from the swap on hdd on ide. so it needs to know how to talk to ide. if that is a module on initrd ... 
[14:25] <th> netrunner: swsusp only works from ide???
[14:26] <th> or from scsi as well?
[14:26] <netrunner> th: no. but the kernel needs the driver 
[14:26] <th> ok
[14:26] <th> so as soon as you need some userland-initialization to get your swap.. your hosed
[14:26] <netrunner> th: e.g. swap on lvm
[14:26] <th> jupp
[14:27] <th> can i have some comments on the subversion-static removal proposal mail?
[14:30] Action: netrunner agrees
[14:30] <netrunner> :)
[14:36] <blindcoder> th: that's why I talk about kexec
[14:36] <blindcoder> th: I don't know how good it is
[14:37] <blindcoder> th: but it might be worth a look
[14:37] Action: netrunner finds kexec also interesting
[17:03] Pilot (n=pilot@s52.GtokyoFL6.vectant.ne.jp) joined #rocklinux.
[17:03] Pilot (n=pilot@s52.GtokyoFL6.vectant.ne.jp) left irc: Client Quit
[17:04] Pilot (n=pilot@s52.GtokyoFL6.vectant.ne.jp) joined #rocklinux.
[17:05] Pilot (n=pilot@s52.GtokyoFL6.vectant.ne.jp) left irc: Client Quit
[17:06] Pilot (n=pilot@s52.GtokyoFL6.vectant.ne.jp) joined #rocklinux.
[17:07] <Pilot> hello, ppl
[17:21] <blindcoder> moin Pilot 
[17:21] <blindcoder> Pilot: how're the japs?
[17:23] <Pilot> well
[17:24] <Pilot> i am busy all the time here
[17:27] ripclaw_ (i=DE43741@nat/ibm/x-a74e42e606e5b391) joined #rocklinux.
[17:28] <ripclaw_> ehlo
[17:28] <ripclaw_> since a number of people are already in #23c3 - anyone in to registering a project for rocklinux at 23c3 ?
[17:29] <daja77> i thought there is no registration this year
[17:30] <blindcoder> moin moin ripclaw_ 
[17:30] <blindcoder> Pilot: good busy?
[17:30] <blindcoder> Pilot: or "I want to go on a rampage and kill some idiots"-busy?
[17:30] <blindcoder> ripclaw_: there's no hackcenter registration this year
[17:30] Nick change: ripclaw_ -> ripclaw
[17:30] <ripclaw> oh, didnt know
[17:30] <ripclaw> was just thinking about "as usual: register ahead"...
[17:30] <blindcoder> first come, be lucky and be first served
[17:31] <ripclaw> ok. will bring hardware for sparc compile.
[17:31] <ripclaw> any idea which of the mirrors work again ?
[17:31] <blindcoder> I wonder who of us will be at 23C3 anyway
[17:32] <ripclaw> <<-- 23c3
[17:32] <ripclaw> i`ll be there 26-29
[17:32] <blindcoder> I'll be there 27-30
[17:33] <ripclaw> if it is desired, i can take over some organisational stuff again, as from the 16c3-20c3 times.
[17:34] <daja77> well there were lots of non rock ppl at our place anyway
[17:34] <ripclaw> i assume that after 31.12. i`ll hopefully will be able to do regular stuff again.
[17:34] <daja77> and to be honest i don't want to pay that much for sitting around there in the cellars
[17:35] <blindcoder> hmm, how much is there to organise?
[17:35] <blindcoder> be there, be lucky?
[17:35] <daja77> blindcoder: hehe :)
[17:35] <ripclaw> me neither - i want to go to some of the talks, maybe have food with some of you folks, etc.
[17:35] <ripclaw> or work on some hardware related stuff in rock
[17:35] <ripclaw> (don`t get to do that a lot lately, i`ll need to take a day off for that)
[17:39] <Pilot> blindcoder, both ways
[17:39] Pilot (n=pilot@s52.GtokyoFL6.vectant.ne.jp) left irc: Remote closed the connection
[17:40] <blindcoder> well, I'll probably be offline for a few days next week
[17:40] <ripclaw> damn... tm won... he`s #135, mine is #270
[17:40] <blindcoder> I hope to be able to work on the new installer during that time
[17:40] Pilot (n=pilot@s52.GtokyoFL6.vectant.ne.jp) joined #rocklinux.
[17:40] <blindcoder> tm?
[17:41] <ripclaw> some guy from my last contract. 
[17:41] <blindcoder> hmm
[17:41] <blindcoder> I don't get what you mean
[17:41] <ripclaw> www.top500.org - he won the contest for who`s grid is faster
[17:41] <blindcoder> ah
[17:43] <ripclaw> also i plan to take the big box online during 23c3 - if we get the power-company ok to take it online.
[17:44] <ripclaw> in that case we may use 64cpu for the sparc compile.
[17:44] <blindcoder> let me put it carefully
[17:44] <ripclaw> but i`ll have to set up a local pkg mirror for rock in the datacenter#
[17:44] <blindcoder> sparc64 has not been done in years
[17:44] <ripclaw> i know that
[17:45] <blindcoder> just wanted to make sure
[17:45] <ripclaw> frankly i really expect it to break, thats why i plan to have a _bunch_ of CPUS...
[17:45] <ripclaw> otherwise i`ld just take along a ultra5
[17:45] <blindcoder> hmm
[17:45] <ripclaw> plus it isn`t portable, at 860kg
[17:45] <blindcoder> you also know that we don't use multiple CPUs for one package?
[17:46] <blindcoder> but rather n CPUs for n packages?
[17:46] <ripclaw> i can have up to 16 distinct machines at 4 cpu each in the box.
[17:46] <ripclaw> its like a bunch of VMwares in hardware which i can configure at will
[17:47] <blindcoder> yeah, I'm also a bit familiar with the whole architecture
[17:47] <blindcoder> but in stages 0-2 it won't matter if you have one CPU or 100 CPUs
[17:47] <ripclaw> there are 2 e10k two 450 a bunch of 240s and such avialable.
[17:48] <ripclaw> yes, but ram helps with ramdisks. we can run a 16g ramdisk nfs e.g.
[17:48] <ripclaw> this will definitely speed up 0-2
[17:49] <blindcoder> there have never been 'scientific' measurements wrt. ramdisk usage for compiling
[17:49] <blindcoder> I'm sure it'll help, though :)
[17:49] <ripclaw> read/write from ram is faster than from disk. with a bit planing i can have gbit fibre network in ther
[17:50] <blindcoder> sweet ^^
[17:50] <ripclaw> i collected a bunch of sick hardware and i plan to use it...
[17:50] <ripclaw> > 1 Tflop is not a nice thing to waste
[17:51] Action: blindcoder nods sagely
[17:51] <ripclaw> plus in case we only use one cpu - its the 8meg mirrored cache 400mhz ones, backbone speed in the box is 40,92gb/s max
[17:52] <ripclaw> should be a definite up from a single box.
[17:52] <blindcoder> that reminds me
[17:52] <blindcoder> I have to bring down a few 8x0 and blades next week
[17:52] <blindcoder> blade 150s, that is
[17:52] <ripclaw> (thats point to point backbone speed from any cpu to any other unit in there, except outgoing connect
[17:52] <ripclaw> bring down ?
[17:53] <ripclaw> i have a 150, too. but at 500 its not a big advantage over a big iron...
[17:53] <ripclaw> 8x0 ?
[17:56] <blindcoder> customer ordered a system for evaluation
[17:56] <blindcoder> now they don't want it because it's 'too complex'
[17:56] <blindcoder> just five racks
[17:56] <blindcoder> 880s IIRc
[17:57] <ripclaw> cool. free for take ?
[17:59] <blindcoder> no, will probably be reused for another customer
[17:59] <blindcoder> 'repurposed' as they say
[18:00] <ripclaw> oh... what a pity :) could use some ;)
[18:01] <blindcoder> heh, get back in line. Yes back there. behind the other 12,438 people in this queue.
[18:01] <ripclaw> hehe... i have good arguments :)
[18:03] <ripclaw> any idea to have a multi-dimensional array in shell ? define -a won`t cut in bash.
[18:03] rocklogbot (n=rocklogb@pallas.crash-override.net) left irc: Remote closed the connection
[18:03] rocklogbot (n=rocklogb@pallas.crash-override.net) joined #rocklinux.
[18:04] <ripclaw> uargs... der logbot is wieder da... 
[18:05] <blindcoder> eww, never did arrays in shell
[18:05] <blindcoder> joar, der ist schon seit ner ganzen weile da
[18:05] <blindcoder> gibt sogar zwei davon
[18:05] <blindcoder> rockbot und rocklogbot 
[18:05] <ripclaw> :-P
[18:06] <blindcoder> rockbot ist aber nicht meiner
[18:07] <blindcoder> und nein, kicken hilft nichts, der kommt in fuenf minuten wieder
[18:09] <ripclaw> :-)
[18:10] <ripclaw> register kickbot  :D
[18:11] <blindcoder> heeh
[18:11] <blindcoder> well, the rocklogbot logs are nonpublic as of now
[18:11] <blindcoder> the rockbot logs are on www.rl.net
[18:13] <daja77> this chan has been logged for ages, so what
[18:17] <ripclaw> i know - and i never liked the fact :)
[18:22] <ripclaw> ok folks, gotta go...
[18:22] <ripclaw> cya
[18:23] ripclaw (i=DE43741@nat/ibm/x-a74e42e606e5b391) left irc: "TinyIRC 1.1"
[18:41] Pilot (n=pilot@s52.GtokyoFL6.vectant.ne.jp) left irc: "Leaving"
[19:04] rocklogbot (n=rocklogb@pallas.crash-override.net) left irc: Remote closed the connection
[19:04] rocklogbot (n=rocklogb@pallas.crash-override.net) joined #rocklinux.
[19:37] Demian (n=demian@201.206.44.210) joined #rocklinux.
[19:37] <Demian> hi
[19:38] <blindcoder> moin Demian 
[20:23] <stf^rocklinux> th: I'm fine with removing subversion-static, as I've never needed it. But you may want to ask Clifford as well, he added the package iirc.
[20:25] <th> daja77: 2006112114050583380 is applied and no longer open, correct? it's still open in smng
[20:34] <th> checking for LIBASSUAN - version >= 0.9.3... yes
[20:34] <th> checking LIBASSUAN API version... okay
[20:34] <th> checking for libassuan-config... (cached) /usr/bin/libassuan-config
[20:34] <th> checking for LIBASSUAN pth - version >= 0.9.3... no
[20:34] <th> that's fatal for gnupg2
[20:36] kensai (n=kensai@206.248.97.14) joined #rocklinux.
[20:50] <daja77> th: gv?
[20:51] <th> daja77: yes
[20:51] <daja77> yep
[20:52] <daja77> that applying in web frontend is a brak in the workflow somehow ...
[20:54] <th> that's why i never do this.
[20:54] <daja77> you see ...
[20:55] kensai (n=kensai@206.248.97.14) left irc: "Leaving"
[20:55] <th> why would you want to do it there?
[20:55] <th> i use `smap 2006112114050583380` to apply a patch
[20:56] <th> it applies to subversion and marks applied in sm
[20:56] <daja77> must be a newer version of smap ..
[20:56] <th> why?
[20:56] <th> of course you need a smap.cfg in `pwd` for this:
[20:57] <th> set -- -M -C -l "$@"
[20:57] <th> URL=https://www.rocklinux.net/submaster
[20:57] <th> USER=...
[20:57] <th> PASS=...
[20:57] <daja77> yes
[20:57] <daja77> i have that one
[20:57] <daja77> but smap doesn't ack the patch in sm only applying to svn
[20:57] <daja77> hm
[20:58] <th> that's what the -M should do
[20:58] <th> do you have the permissions to mark it applied in svn?
[20:59] <daja77> hm no idea
[20:59] <th> what output do you get with that smap?
[21:00] <daja77> erh can tell you tomorrow ..
[22:31] kasc_ (n=kasc@dslb-084-060-117-188.pools.arcor-ip.net) joined #rocklinux.
[22:33] <th> daja77: qemu still only builds with gcc3.x ?
[22:33] <daja77> afaik yes
[22:41] ija_ (n=ija@212.80.242.117) joined #rocklinux.
[22:42] kasc (n=kasc@dslb-084-060-111-242.pools.arcor-ip.net) left irc: Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)
[22:42] Nick change: kasc_ -> kasc
[22:46] <th> 574 builds total, 573 completed fine, 1 with errors.
[22:46] <th> thats trunk with (pretty small) journal 2006-11-20-th
[22:46] <th> only gnupg2 failed
[22:47] ija (n=ija@84.19.217.60) left irc: Read error: 145 (Connection timed out)
[22:48] <daja77> th: shall i update pth?
[22:49] <th> checking for PTH - version >= 1.3.7... yes
[22:49] <th> checking whether PTH installation is sane... yes
[22:49] <th> i think that's not the real problem with the gnupg2 build
[22:49] <th> but i'm not sure
[22:50] <th> checking for LIBASSUAN pth - version >= 0.9.3... no
[22:51] <daja77> ah libassuan
[22:51] <daja77> all in my repo ...
[22:51] <daja77> d'oh
[22:51] <th> checking for LIBASSUAN - version >= 0.9.3... yes
[22:51] <daja77> weird
[22:52] <th> 2006111715145229941 did update libassuan
[22:52] <th> -[S] Alpha
[22:52] <th> -[V] 0.6.10
[22:52] <th> +[S] Stable
[22:52] <th> +[V] 1.0.0
[22:52] <daja77> they wrote about gpg 2 that it needs the latest from everything
[22:52] <th> word from SMP would be helpfull here
[22:53] <daja77> oh perhaps this is an a broken configure skript
[22:53] <daja77> something that checks for > 0.93 but can't hande 1.0 or sth
[22:54] <th> yes. it smells like it a bit. although: checking for LIBASSUAN - version >= 0.9.3... yes
[23:39] blindcoder (i=blindcod@gateway/gpg-tor/key-0x384243C9) left irc: Remote closed the connection
[23:40] blindcoder (i=blindcod@gateway/gpg-tor/key-0x384243C9) joined #rocklinux.
[23:59] <th> http://www.rocklinux.net/people/teha/rock-dist/2006-11-20-th.iso
[23:59] <th> this is r8068 plus journal "2006-11-20 th"
[00:00] --- Wed Nov 22 2006