Re: [rock-user] Re : Re : Mysql installation cannot connec…

Author: Stefan Fiedler
Subject: Re: [rock-user] Re : Re : Mysql installation cannot connect, cannot start
Am Donnerstag, 23. November 2006 11:49 schrieb philippe florent:
> I don't understand,
> 1st time i launch mysqld_safe , it gives error, cannot find log file .err
> then second time, it cannot find the mysqld
> now it can find it but i got an error saying I cannot start the mysql
> daemon as root, i cannot find the security pages in man...

Hello Philippe!

Here's some things that might be helpful to you:

There's the problem that mysqld_safe always seems to exit with return code 0,
so that running '/etc/rc.d/init.d/mysql start' always seems to succeed, even
if an error occurred. I don't know yet how to fix this.

Running mysqld_safe requires the /var/opt/mysql directory to exist. I used the
following permissions:
        drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2006-11-23 14:04 /var/opt/mysql/
Maybe this directory is created by another mysql program, or it should be part
of the mysql package, I'm not sure.

To run mysqld_safe as root, use the --user=root option, e.g.
in /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysql change the line:
       (/opt/mysql/bin/mysqld_safe >/dev/null 2>&1 &) || error=$?
       (/opt/mysql/bin/mysqld_safe --user=root >/dev/null 2>&1 &) || error=$?
Again I'm not sure whether this is the best option, maybe add and use
a 'mysql' user?

Running mysqld_safe with this option, I get the error
in /var/opt/mysql/<hostname>.err:
        061123 14:21:19 [ERROR] Fatal error: Can't open and lock privilege tables:
Table 'mysql.host' doesn't exist
        061123 14:21:19  mysqld ended
I was able to 'fix' this by running (as root) 'mysql_install_db'.
Then '/etc/rc.d/init.d/mysql start' should work as expected.

With best regards,
        Stefan Fiedler