Re: [rock-devel] Printing setup script

Author: Terry Mackintosh
Subject: Re: [rock-devel] Printing setup script
Hi

Stefan Fiedler wrote:
> Am Samstag, 11. August 2007 14:58:00 schrieb Terry Mackintosh:
>
>>Hi all

<snip>
> Do you really mean ROCK 2.0.3? It's age-old, and not supported anymore. I
> recommend using trunk or at least ROCK 3.

Well, yes it is age-old as you say, but ROCK 3 is quit recent and while
it is on my TODO list to build it and upgrade I have not yet done so,
but I do have a set of install CDs for a generic build of 2.0.3.
I have a new 64bit laptop on order from Linux Citified that should be
here this week or next. When it arrives I will use it to build ROCK 3.

What I guess I'm getting at is that when you have a single release that
is so long standing that it comes to be viewed as possibly the final
release of the project, then the latest-greatest is finally released, it
is inappropriate to immediately disregard the now old release. The fact
is that with the exception of those of you whom are in a continuous
upgrade cycle, the majority of us that use ROCK are probably running
2.0.3 as that is what there was for the longest time. My build is I
think over a year old, and until about a month ago was still the latest
release (trunk excepted). More over I have become aware of most of the
flaws in 2.0.3 that affect me and know what to do on a fresh install to
make it work for me. ROCK 3 may carry some of the same flaws and
probably has new ones which means it will be another learning
experience. If I want to install a box that someone else is to use, or
a hands-off sever, I don't want a learning experience, I want something
rock solid.

Something to consider.

Make it a great day.

--