Re: [rock-devel] KDE 4.0 Released

Author: Stefan Fiedler
Subject: Re: [rock-devel] KDE 4.0 Released
Am Samstag, 12. Januar 2008 14:34:28 schrieb Clifford Wolf:
> Hi,
>
> as some of you might have noticed: KDE 4.0 has been released [1]. Does
> anyone fell like performing the kde update for rock linux?
>
> yours,
> - clifford
>
> [1] http://www.kde.org/announcements/4.0/

Hi,

KDE 4.0 surely looks interesting and I've already spent some time preparing
the update, that is adding some packages that KDE 4 depends on and creating a
kde4 repository, which is a slightly modified copy of the kde repository.
If you want to give it a try there's an experimental KDE 4 patch queue in
submaster ( http://www.rocklinux.net/submaster ). Once you have build the
packages you want you can test them by e.g. switching to runlevel 2 or 3 and
running 'startx /opt/kde4/bin/startkde' as root. This way you don't have to
change your default window manager or desktop environment.
Here is a list of packages I've built so far and the order in which they were
built (on top of a recent crystal installation):

clucene-core
strigi
qt4
soprano
shared-mime-info
libungif
kdelibs4
qimageblitz
kdebase4
boost-jam
libicu
boost
kdepimlibs4
kdeutils4
kdebase-runtime4
kdebase-workspace4
kdeadmin4
kdegames4
kdeaccessibility4
kdeedu4
kdeartwork4
kdenetwork4
kdegraphics4
kdemultimedia4
kdewebdev4
kdesdk4
kdetoys4
kdebindings4

I''ve briefly tested the binaries and they worked without obvious errors.
However I suggest to keep KDE 3 as the default for a little longer, maybe
even until KDE 4.1 which is planned for June or July, and gather some
experience with this major update first.

Have fun,
Stefan Fiedler