[OpenSCAD] example that works in 2009.11, but not it 2010.02

Britton Kerin britton.kerin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 23:15:37 CEST 2010

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 9:12 AM, Marius Kintel <marius at kintel.net> wrote:

> On Apr 5, 2010, at 17:38 PM, Britton Kerin wrote:
>
> > A tiny little useful feature to add is the GNU-style --version flag.
> ack

I hope that is ack-I-love--version-flag and not ack-I-hate--version-flag :)

> There are still a couple of things I don't understand though:
>
> 1.  Why doesn't reversing the path order (i.e. 20, 19, ..., 1, 0 in the
original example) fix the problem?

> Hm, that's indeed mysterious. I'll investigate it..
>
> > 2.  The 2D subsystem draws in X and y as the above polygon page shows.
>  But the rotate_extrude command appears
> >      rotate about the Z axis (by default at least).  Is there an implicit
> step in which 2D figure are reoriented before extrusion?
> >
> Yes, it's a curious decision. Unfortunately, just changing it will break
> existing models :(

Well probably other have more invested than I, but speaking for myself I'm
happy to tolerate some
breakage if it makes OpenSCAD better.  Its young software.  I think the
approach of having many
geometric defaults (regarding centering, axis of rotation, etc.) is good
rather than having to
specify everything everywhere.  But it makes principle-of-least-surprise
even more important than
usual.

Britton