[OpenSCAD] script to convert 2D STL files (e.g. from blender) to openscad polygons

Britton Kerin britton.kerin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 22:38:56 CEST 2010

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 3:07 AM, Marius Kintel <marius at kintel.net> wrote:

> On Apr 6, 2010, at 23:27 PM, Britton Kerin wrote:
>
> > The script takes a single STL file the vertexes of which are assumed to
> be in the
> > XY plane.  It then prints out a list of vertexes and a path argument in
> the format
> > openscad likes.
> >

> I can add it to the recently added contrib dir if you want.

Its diagnostics and output are a little rough, depends on the standards for
contrib I guess.
I'll maybe ad some slightly better messages and a warning about the winding
order issue
and resend.

> Also, would it make sense to your suggested workflow to support importing
> 2D meshes directly from STL, e.g. by adding a flag to import_stl() which
> effectively ignores the last dimension?
> This would then be able to manage 2D meshes/polygons with genus > 0.

Yes I think this would be very useful.  Blender is very precise for 2D
layout and has a nice quick interface, but
breaks down when you try to do 3D set operations (its art-oriented after
all, the results *look* great usually...).
So its a good match with OpenSCAD.

Britton