[OpenSCAD] circle tessellation and apothems

Steven Dick kg4ydw at gmail.com
Sun Dec 26 18:57:24 CET 2010

On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 12:38 PM, Whosawhatsis <whosawhatsis at gmail.com>wrote:

> I really like the idea of making it a special variable like $fn and $fa.

[...]

> Tim, while ID and OD are more common terms, I think they are technically
> incorrect in this case. I believe the definition of the diameter of a
> polygon is

[...]

You are thinking in terms of the OpenSCAD implementer, not the user.

The point of using ID/OD is to indicate that the intent for the hole is that
it _IS_ the inner diameter or outer diamter.

I.e., if you wanted to make a pipe, you'd give the dimension for the inner
hole as ID and it would make the hole no smaller than that.  This might
improve tolerances of parts.

Making this option a global variable would not give that option.

However, I do like the idea of specifying diameter as corner, midpoint, or
average.  I don't like the idea of calling it "snap" as I think it would be
very confusing to reuse this term.