[OpenSCAD] Hello

Marius Kintel marius at kintel.net
Wed Feb 10 13:59:50 CET 2010

On Feb 10, 2010, at 08:40 , Fran Taylor wrote:

>> As I learn more about openscad I want to make a virtual screw
>> and nut catalog: "give me a 1/4-20 x 1 3/8 hex head bolt" and stuff
>> like that.

Yes! I've been thinking about the same, but you're clearly way ahead
of me.
If you provide metric nuts and bolts as well, it would be awesome. We
might also want to ship your library with OpenSCAD if it turns out
well and you permit it.

>> Anyway so here is what I want to do that I could not figure out
>> how: I
>> want to dynamically calculate the vertex positions of a polygon.

Since OpenSCAD doesn't really provide a full programming language
(e.g. iteratively building an array is not allowed), your approach is
probably the most reasonable atm.

>> I saw people talking about adding font support and I have a great
>> suggestion for you.  There is a package called "Open Inventor" and it
>> has a nice library for creating 3-D font objects.

Talking about Open Inventor, I've been considering integrating Coin3D
into OpenSCAD. It has potential for making the rendering code a bit
cleaner. It is, however, a pretty large dependency to drag in. In
addition, I fear it will be a little hassle making OpenCSG work well
with Coin3D. 3D font support might be the tipping point for dragging
in another external library though, so let's see..

~/= Marius

--
We are Elektropeople for a better living.