[OpenSCAD] Feature Requests

Marius Kintel marius at kintel.net
Wed Feb 10 18:36:44 CET 2010

On Feb 10, 2010, at 13:47 , Dominik Wenger wrote:

> - a square root function.

Added in subversion, will be there in the next snapshot build.

> - better editor, or a way to integrate openscad into other editors, so
> you can get syntacs highlighting and other common features.

We've been dicussing this, and so far it looks like the best way to go
is to use an external editor and rather provide a way of communication
with OpenSCAD from an external program.
In external editors, I use C syntax highlighting and autoindenting and
it works ok in most cases.
In the development snapshot (for Mac OS X only), it's also possible to
issue an AppleScript command 'tell application "OpenSCAD" to reload',
from an external editor to ease the integration a bit. This is purely
experimental though and might be removed/changed later on.

Alternatively, if there exist a god Qt-based source code editor which
is easy to intergrate, we'll look into that. So far I've only looked
at QCodeEdit, but that one is quite immature and don't have any
development momentum atm.
In the meantime, if you have easy to implement feature request for the
builtin editor, please post them and we might fix it.

> - else clauses.

I agree.

> - a way to modify variables in if clauses.
> Also the way you have to use assign() to get local variables in a loop
> seems strange. Couldnt that be done more similar to C ?

Not sure how easy this is due to the current parser design. Clifford?

~/= Marius

--
We are Elektropeople for a better living.