[OpenSCAD] [Pythonocc-users] Scripting without visualization

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 18:21:35 CET 2010

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 1:42 PM, Thomas Paviot wrote:
> It's completely possible to implement your idea. Actually, if you already
> have good skills in Django, it's something you can achieve within only a few
> hours. For someone with good Django/pythonOCC skills, it's not more than two
> hours to have something running and a material ready to convince your boss.

I made something like this with the cherrypy web framework. I was
really excited because I thought I was making the first web framework
that imported a CAD geometry kernel. Maybe not :-).

http://designfiles.org/skdb/web/web.py

To see it in action:

http://designfiles.org:8081/package/lego/

Basically, it's an open source hardware repository built on top of
cherrypy and git repositories. Individual hardware projects are stored
in individual git repositories, exposed to the web. There's a built-in
ability to visualize and re-parameterize the objects, but it's not
fully implemented or exposed through the web interface yet.

> I'm not sure you have to use the parametric framework. You can simply
> develop a python function that takes the 3 parameters and write the STEP
> file. You can also have this function in a python script that is launched
> from a pipe whenever needed. You can also split the solution on two
> different servers : the webserver and the 'cadserver', with a proper data
> exchange model/protocol (with RPC/XML for instance). Well, all that stuff
> depend on your needs, but everything is possible.

Splitting it up into two parts is a good idea. For instance,
visualization in pythonOCC still requires an active X11 session, so
having that on a separate (virtualized) server is probably a good idea
for the time being. Otherwise the page loads would probably be too
long.

> To go further, I've been thinking for a while on a way to add a network
> layer to pythonOCC, over the OCC kernel. The XML/RPC sample was a first
> draft on how to exchange geometry, and I wish to go far beyond. We are about
> to launch a project untitled 'Network Enabled PythonOCC', and try to think
> about implementation of CAD Services/PLM Services/SOA/SaaS etc. It's a
> strategic necessity to enable pythonOCC being part of an heterogenous IT
> system (well, I confess interoperability issues in the PLM field are my
> guilty pleasure!).  The implementation part of this work will be supported
> by a university. I will explain the details of this project (and 2 other
> ones) when it is about to start, in less than a couple of weeks if
> everything goes fine.

Could you elaborate on the details?

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/