[OpenSCAD] Feature Requests

Marius Kintel marius at kintel.net
Sun Feb 14 15:42:11 CET 2010

There are a few separate components to this.

1) The commands/queries we want to send to OpenSCAD are not
(primarily) OpenSCAD commands, but application/GUI controls; opening/
saving files, reloading, render, export, edit text. Since OpenSCAD
either can have multiple open documents or multiple instances
(depending on whether the user prefers MDI mode or not), we also need
to be able to query/select the correct document/window/instance.
-> We need to expose some kind of DOM for the application.

2) We need a transport mechanism for sending these commands/queries to
OpenSCAD. Domain sockets, TCP sockets, file monitoring has been
mentioned as alternatives. On Mac, this is standardized using
AppleEvents, which is a good solution for Mac since we can plug this
directly into any other scripting framework already existing. For
Windows and Linux I don't know about standardized ways of doing this.
The MDI/pid case also complicates this.
-> It could make sense to decouple 1) from 2)

3) We might want a scripting language for sending the commands/queries
in 1) over the transport in 2). bash was mentioned as an option. The
questions is also whether we can keep the interpreter external or if
we need to embed it into OpenSCAD. For the file monitoring solution,
we probably need to embed. For the others, we could define some kind
of text-based API and resolve the logic externally.

We could take a look at QtScript. It's included in Qt since Qt-4.3 and
could be helpful in solving 1) and 3). It doesn't appear to target
remote control of apps though.

Cheers,

~/= Marius

--
We are Elektropeople for a better living.