[OpenSCAD] Feature Requests

Ralf Schlatterbeck rsc at runtux.com
Sun Feb 14 17:35:43 CET 2010

On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 03:42:11PM +0100, Marius Kintel wrote:
> 1) The commands/queries we want to send to OpenSCAD are not
> (primarily) OpenSCAD commands, but application/GUI controls; opening/
> saving files, reloading, render, export, edit text. Since OpenSCAD
> either can have multiple open documents or multiple instances
> (depending on whether the user prefers MDI mode or not), we also need
> to be able to query/select the correct document/window/instance.
> -> We need to expose some kind of DOM for the application.
>
> 2) We need a transport mechanism for sending these commands/queries to
> OpenSCAD. Domain sockets, TCP sockets, file monitoring has been
> mentioned as alternatives. On Mac, this is standardized using
> AppleEvents, which is a good solution for Mac since we can plug this
> directly into any other scripting framework already existing. For
> Windows and Linux I don't know about standardized ways of doing this.
> The MDI/pid case also complicates this.
> -> It could make sense to decouple 1) from 2)

On Linux this is probably dbus. Whole applications are using this, e.g.
the farsight/telepathy framework for doing instant messaging and VoIP.
With that interface you can write a VoIP client that only uses services
via dbus.
But do you really want to go the route of having a different platform
specific communication mechanism for each architecture?

Ralf

--
Dr. Ralf Schlatterbeck                  Tel:   +43/2243/26465-16
Open Source Consulting                  Fax:   +43/2243/26465-23
A-3411 Weidling                         email: office at runtux.com
osAlliance member                       email: rsc at osalliance.com