[OpenSCAD] OpenSCAD Digest, Vol 2, Issue 14

trumpetto trumpetto at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 23:07:23 CET 2010

Hi,

> On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 03:25:44PM +0100, trumpetto wrote:
> > 1. Is it possible to add a random-function. I read you do not want to
> > focus on any artistic aspects with OpenSCAD but I'd love to go there
> > anyway :-)
>
> hmm.. sure would it be possible. I'd guess you want a random function
> that returns the same list of values for every recompile and is
> configureable using a seed value, right? I've added that to the todo list.

Thanks! No hurry.

> > 2. Is it possible to change the 'cylinder' so that its resolution is
> > higher when its radius gets bigger, just like the sphere?
>
> tghis is what happens already now. the bigger of the two radii of the
> cylinder defines the number of facets.

When I use something like:
    cylinder(h = 10, r=25);
I always get 32 facets. No matter what radius I use.
It seems to stop after r=10 ...
What do I do wrong?
Or is this by design?
I sometimes only need part of the curve and then the resolutions is a bit
low at 32 facets for the whole shape.

> 4. Is it smart to use an alternative for the mailinglist so there is a
> > online search-able archive created and the messaging gets a bit faster?
> > For example [1]http://groups.google.com/ ?
>
> I actually am pretty happy with a simple traditional mailing list..

OK with me. As long as you are happy :-)

> > 5. How can I help? I started with some short pieces in the manual in
> > wikibooks but I'd like to do some more. Shall I add the examples with
> > pictures in the OpenSCAD user manual in wikibooks?
>
> I think the documentation is the piece where the most help is needed atm.
> examples with pictures would be a great improvement. Zach added pictures
> for some of the primitives - but I'm sure there is still much room for
> improvements..

I'll do that!

Thanks, Trumpetto