[OpenSCAD] Feature Request: TTF text

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 18:50:13 CET 2010

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 12:13 PM, Zach Smith <zach at makerbot.com> wrote:
> I've been a big fan of openSCAD since day one, and I tell just about
> everyone I meet about it.

As do I, but so far, few I've run into are programmers.  I personally
think it's an excellent way of generating STL files.

> Anyway, one of the first things people want to do is to make text in 3D!
> Right now its extremely difficult / borderline impossible to do with any of
> the open source programs (including all sorts of ungodly combinations of
> blender, openscad, aoi, wings3d, etc.)

Agreed.  Many of my own projects will have text embedded in them (even
just numerals) - I was considering just drawing my own font in a DXF
file for 0-9.

The sorts of things I want to be able to make include label plaques -
a base with a few letters or digits on them.  OpenSCAD with font
support would be perfect for rendering that.

As Zach points out, there's no easy way to do this at present.  This
feature would set OpenSCAD out in front for a variety of interesting
uses.

-ethan