[OpenSCAD] Feature requests

Christian Starkjohann cs at obdev.at
Sun Jan 31 22:00:29 CET 2010

On Jan 31, 2010, at 19:43, Laszlo KREKACS wrote:
> [Feature requests:]
> 1. fixed width font in the editor instead of the current ariel font.
> (are we programmers aren't?)
>
> 2. Line number
>
> 3. Key combo for maximizing the editor. The lines are a bit too long
> in general,
> to be comfortably watch the model *and* type the text
>
> [several other feature requests regarding the editor...]

In my opinion, it's not worth spending too much effort on the editor.
There are many editors available and each of us has become used to one
or the other.

It would make sense to allow better integration with existing editors,
though. Kind of remote-control OpenSCAD from the editor or IDE. Most
programming editors and IDEs can assign calls to external scripts to
hotkeys. Adding a command line utility which remote-controls OpenSCAD
would therefore be sufficient.

I could imagine commands like:
  - reload file X and compile a preview (open new file if required)
  - bring the preview window for file X to front
  - reload, compile and render in CGAL
  - start/stop animation
  - etc...

If multiple instances of OpenSCAD are running, they may have to
arbitrate which one gets the commands for file X and which one opens
new files, but it should be doable.

Regards, Christian.