[OpenSCAD] 3D Text

Tony Buser tbuser at gmail.com
Sat Mar 20 09:55:48 CET 2010

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 4:14 PM, Ethan Dicks <ethan.dicks at gmail.com> wrote:
> approach the problem of text in OpenSCAD models by hammering out a
> simple block font (suitable for printing on a Makerbot with letter
> sizes under 5mm tall) made up of only SQUARE, LINE, and CIRCLE
> entities.  I haven't made any real progress on that.  I think just the
> digits from 0-9 would be a great start.

Ugh, so I thought the easiest thing I could try was to take your
suggestion to make simple block fonts in openscad code.  Once I got
over the pain of not being able to reassign variables amongst other
things... I came up with this:

http://gist.github.com/338558

I'm basically mapping Atari's 8-bit fonts into arrays and then
building each character up using cubes as pixels...  I'm surprised I
got it to work.  :)  Unfortunately, when I compile it I get Simple:
No, Valid: Yes.  And when I try to export it to STL it says Object
isn't a valid 2-manifold! Modify your design.. What does that mean?