[OpenSCAD] unit of measure

Triffid Hunter triffid.hunter at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 07:14:48 CEST 2011

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 2:13 PM, Hugh Smith <smithh6622 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm new to OpenSCAD and am trying to modify some RepRap parts and am having
> a difficult time understanding the unit of measure used by OpenSCAD.  For
> instance the command;
>
> cube [1,2,3]
>
> means draw a cube of dimension 1w x 2l x 3h.  1,2,3 what? Are they mm, cm,
> inches.  What happens when I print a file as meteric vs. sae?
>
> Sorry for appearing so dumb but I can't figure it out or find any
> documentation explaining the units used.

they're unitless - call them anything you like. Same with blender and
a few other modellers.

However when feeding the model to skeinforge to be printed, they'll be
interpreted as millimeters. Please note this choice of units is a
skeinforge and/or firmware decision, not openscad so you won't find
any openscad documentation about it!