[OpenSCAD] I have a suggestion: shell()...

Giles Bathgate giles.bathgate at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 14:34:20 CEST 2011

On 10 August 2011 13:22, nop head <nop.head at gmail.com> wrote:
> Shell is the name of the operation in CAD systems and it must work by moving
> faces inwards along the normals to make a smaller object that is then
> subtracted. In CoCreate you also get an option to nominate a face to leave
> open.

Sorry, yeah I don't dispute that there should be module called 'shell'
I was just thinking out loud as to how it might work using a more
primitive but equally useful module. Once you have an offset module
you should be able to define shell in terms of difference and offset
e.g.:

module shell(thickness) {
   difference(){
     child(0);
     offset(-thickness) child(0);
   }
}

...of course it may as well be a built-in. What I wanted to say is
that I can see a lot of uses for an offset module, and that shell can
easily be implemented on top of that.

Regards

Giles