[OpenSCAD] Drawing a horn torus and the dreaded "winding order" error

Jez Weston jezweston at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 17 08:11:13 CEST 2011

Ok, the geometry below attempts to use a torus to smooth a joint between two cylinders at right angles to each other. When the major radius of the torus is greater than twice the minor radius, the geometry is created just fine. If the major radius is less than twice, then CSG works, but CGAL causes problems. When using a union() statement , I get the  "ERROR: Illegal polygonal object - make sure all polygons are defined with the same winding order. Skipping affected object." and the torus is not drawn. Without the union statement (i.e. just drawing the two cylinders and the torus) I get a C++ exception and a crash.

I think this must be something to do with the torus intersecting itself, but I'm buggered if I know what to do about it. I've tried changing the qualityfn and convexity numbers, to no avail.

Any ideas on how can I either get this code to work or to draw a similar shape?

Jez

// Model specific parameters
qualityfn = 36;
convexityn = 10;
cylinder_radius = 7;		// Radius of cylinders and minor radius of torus
join_radius = 13.9;		// Major radius of torus and radius of blend between cylinders
// 13.9 or smaller is ok in CSG but crashes CGAL
// 14.1 works fine for both

SmoothJoinCylinders ( 70, 130, cylinder_radius, join_radius);

module SmoothJoinCylinders ( w, l, r1, r2 ) {
  union() {
 	 // Bottom edge
 		 translate ([r2, r1, 0])
 		 rotate ( a = 90, v = [0,1,0])
 		 cylinder ( h = w-r2-r2, r= r1, $fn = qualityfn );
 		 // Bottom left corner
 		 translate ([ r2, r2, 0 ])
 		 rotate_extrude (convexity = convexityn, $fn = qualityfn)
 		 translate ([ r2-r1, 0, 0 ])
 		 circle (r = r1 );
 		 // Left edge
 		 translate ([r1, r2, 0])
 		 rotate ( a = -90, v = [1,0,0])
 		 cylinder ( h = l-r2-r2, r = r1, $fn = qualityfn );
  }