[OpenSCAD] Importing STL files

Marius Kintel marius at kintel.net
Tue Aug 23 02:17:46 CEST 2011

On Aug 23, 2011, at 00:29 AM, Hugh Smith wrote:
> I'm using a 3D cad program, not openScad.  I get the error "Can't open--path name--" whether it's in a different partition on the same drive or a network drive.  When I use the syntax //drive-name/folder-name…, openScad removes the first '/' off the drive-name when it reports an error treating it as a folder-name.

> The part I created in Alibre is a 2" test cube.  I have to scale it up by 80 which fits on the ReplicatorG platform.  So what your saying is that my cube will attempt to be printed as 160" even though it visually fits in ReplicatorG.  How do I find out exactly what it thinks it's printing?

I don't quite understand where in your toolchain you use OpenSCAD. A concrete example might help clear that up.

In terms of size, STL is unitless, but ReplicatorG interprets your units as millimeters, so make sure you export using millimeters as unit from your CAD tool. OpenSCAD implicitly uses millimeters as unit.

 -Marius