[OpenSCAD] visitor branch

Marius Kintel marius at kintel.net
Sun Aug 28 03:09:14 CEST 2011

Hi Don,

Very cool that you're looking into this!

It's a bit tricky to get offscreen rendering to work properly, and it's highly OS-specific.
In effect what I do for Mac OS X, is to create a Pixel Buffer (PBuffer) context, and within that context render to Frame Buffer Objects.
For X11, the key function for creating a PBuffer context is glXCreatePbuffer(): http://www.opengl.org/sdk/docs/man/xhtml/glXCreatePbuffer.xml

Much of the code in OffscreenContext.mm can me refactored and merged with an X11 implementation, but based on experience I would recommend getting something to work first ;)

Regarding the actual tests, a lot of these fail at the moment, as this is still early work in progress, plus that merges from master keeps changing the output for some of the built-in modules.

Here's the current state on my system:
$ ctest -R dumptest_
The following tests FAILED:
	  1 - dumptest_allmodules (Failed)
	  5 - dumptest_color (Failed)
	 37 - dumptest_transform-insert (Failed)
$ ctest -R csgtexttest_
100% tests passed, 0 tests failed out of 39
$ ctest -R csgtermtest_
100% tests passed, 0 tests failed out of 39

opencsg and cgal tests currently fail a lot due to missing expected output. I think I need to change the cgal test to render images instead of outputting STL, as the actual STL output is prone to changing without really changing the 3D model itself.

Differences in dumptest, csgtexttest or csgtermtest is probably worth looking into or reporting. The test reports are located in test/Testing/Temporary/LastTest.log.

 -Marius