[OpenSCAD] PyOpenSCAD - Demand, priorities?

Evan T. Jones evan_t_jones at mac.com
Sat Feb 12 23:35:09 CET 2011

Hi all -
	I saw some talk yesterday about a Python => OpenSCAD  interface.  I've been working on a fairly complete bridge that I'm preparing to make public in the next week, and I'd like to gauge people's interest.  I'm really excited about combining the advantages of a general-purpose language ( library availability; fully flexible list operations; classes and built-in data structures) with the awesome geometric work the OpenSCAD authors have already done.

I've expanded on Phillip Tiefenbacher's openscad.py module ( as at: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1481) to include all other OpenSCAD commands, including importing and calling OpenSCAD libraries from your Python code.

I've got a couple questions for people, so I can set my priorities:

-- Anybody interested? How attached are people to the OpenSCAD language itself vs. the awesome 3D results?
-- Separate project or just fork MCAD?  Any ideas about which fork is most 'canonical' right now?
-- How important would integration with the OpenSCAD IDE be?  I set 'Automatically reload and compile' to checked, then whenever I compile my python ( 'pyopenscad.render_to_file( some_file.scad)' ) it automatically gets evaluated.  But it's less direct than I might like.
-- Do people prefer to work in the OpenSCAD IDE, or use separate editors?
-- Any Windows or Linux people interested in doing some editor -> OpenSCAD communication? I'm working on some Applescript code so you could use a single command to compile Python to OpenSCAD and then render the compiled code, but I don't know enough about inter-app communication on non-Apple OSes to make that happen.

TL;DNR:  I'm gonna release a Python => OpenSCAD bridge.  Anybody interested?

Cheers,

Evan