[OpenSCAD] OpenSCAD Digest, Vol 15, Issue 7

Giles Bathgate giles.bathgate at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 23:12:24 CET 2011

This thread is quite interesting. Its my understanding that the desire
to use Python or another scripting language as a front end to OpenSCAD
must be driven by the need to have a general purpose language features
rather than domain specific language features. So my question is
simple, what features of the domain specific language are inadequate,
and what features of the general purpose language are desired.

Its obvious that there would be a lot of features from something like
Python that are irrelevant to OpenSCAD for example threading, string
processing (regular expressions, Unicode, calculating differences
between files), Internet protocols (HTTP, FTP, SMTP, XML-RPC, POP,
IMAP, CGI programming), software engineering (unit testing, logging,
profiling, parsing Python code), and operating system interfaces
(system calls, filesystems, TCP/IP sockets).

So my preferred solution would be to see a language that is
specialized and constrained to the particular domain of 3D form
generation. Its should be easy to understand, quick to learn, and only
have the ability to do things it is capable of doing.

Don't get me wrong having a hll interface to an existing library or
development platform is a great way to provide extensibility, but
putting a Python front end on because you can't quite do X in OpenSCAD
exposes a deficiency in OpenSCAD, which would better be resolved IMHO
by adding that feature to OpenSCAD.

So basically what I am saying is I am interested to know what features
Python does provide, that OpenSCAD doesn't

Regards

Giles Bathgate