[OpenSCAD] OpenSCAD Digest, Vol 15, Issue 7

tigger@interthingy.com tigger at interthingy.com
Tue Feb 15 12:10:38 CET 2011

 Hey all,

 This conversation _is_ getting interesting.....

 I just wanted to make a few observations and comments .

 OpenSCAD is awsome , thanks Clifford.

 An advantage that openscad has now is that there is growing code base
of objects , porting across to another front end will need a
translater so that work is not lost.

 I use Python for most of my work , so I'm biased , but I think
wrapping the CSG ( and AST ) formats in a nice OO language is a really
good idea. There are heaps of Makers that use python already , why
learn a new syntax when an 'import openscad' is much easier.

 When this thread came up the first things that would be possible in
python/scad would be.

 1. Recursion
 2. Better conditionals
 3. Inheritance
 4. database access  would be potentially very powerful to do
unforeseen things... then there's string processing - that could be
very handy
 > with parametric scripts (look at what I had to do to handle strings
in my bitmap text module) Filesystem access would be
 > really nice for loading external data. Interesting things could be
done in terms of dynamic objects if the script could
 > call webservices...

 Hi all,

 I want to some my thoughts in addition to what Giles said. I'm mostly

 end-user here, not a programmer by a proffesion.
 Its obvious, that Linux (especially) have no access to truely
 feature complete CAD. And for that reason it will be realy better to
 have features like: egde fillet or full DXF support or sizes
placment,
 2D drawings export; than hypotetically useful web-services
interaction
 feature.

 Every other Linux CAD tools like FreeCAD, HeeksCAD have some level
 of python scripting, but main OpenSCAD advantage over them is
simplicity
 of his embedded language. And i'm in doubt that OpenSCAD will win for

 example with python-occ or any OpenCASCADE-based python engine if it
will
 start to try compete with them.

 --
 WBR Lavruschenko Oleksandr