[OpenSCAD] OpenSCAD Digest, Vol 15, Issue 7

Elmo elmo.mantynen at iki.fi
Tue Feb 15 15:04:38 CET 2011

On 02/15/2011 01:10 PM, tigger at interthingy.com wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> This conversation _is_ getting interesting.....
>
> I just wanted to make a few observations and comments .
>
> OpenSCAD is awsome , thanks Clifford.
>
> An advantage that openscad has now is that there is growing code base of
> objects , porting across to another front end will need a translater so
> that work is not lost.

A translation is possible, but for the python->openscad generating
frontend, you can just import openscad code. The other way is blocking
on the feature request to have shell access (everything else could be
quickly implemented on top of that).

> I use Python for most of my work , so I'm biased , but I think wrapping
> the CSG ( and AST ) formats in a nice OO language is a really good idea.
> There are heaps of Makers that use python already , why learn a new
> syntax when an 'import openscad' is much easier.
>
> When this thread came up the first things that would be possible in
> python/scad would be.
>
> 1. Recursion
> 2. Better conditionals
> 3. Inheritance
> 4. database access <- collections of scad instances , like all the bolts
> , ever.
> 5. integration into other systems.
>
> I'm all for it , but as Kpykcъ said , pythonocc is there too.

Yes, having a third backend for pyscad using pythonocc would be awesome
too. But let's first experiment on the syntax/API/DSL design with the
two backends that are being developed now.