[OpenSCAD] Cadmium update

Jayesh Salvi jayeshsalvi at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 11:07:04 CEST 2011

Hi all,

This week I managed to do decent progress with Cadmium and was able to
get results that are good enough to share with you.

If you don't remember my Cadmium announcement couple of weeks ago:
Cadmium is a python library for solid modelling, that implements
similar abstractions like OpenSCAD, but as a python module.

A major breakthrough came after I switched from CGAL to PythonOCC as
the backend. With CGAL I was facing a lot of assertion failures or
crashes. Therefore I decided to give PythonOCC a try and it turned out
to be a really good choice. The underlying OpenCASCADE library has so
far been able to handle all the CSG operations I've thrown at it.

Because PythonOCC/OpenCASCADE can do most of the algorithmic work,
only job that is left to Cadmium is to define simple abstractions
(Box, Cylinder, etc.) and provide easy way to write CSG operations.

As a demo, I pulled out couple of OpenSCAD scripts from Thingiverse
and translated them to Cadmium and the results turned out pretty well.

You can find them here:
http://jayesh3.github.com/cadmium/

Please let me know what you think.
Thanks,