[OpenSCAD] how to dimension?

David Rysdam david at rysdam.org
Fri Jun 17 13:38:57 CEST 2011

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 22:20:49 +0100, Giles Bathgate <giles.bathgate at gmail.com> wrote:
> This might be of use to you:
>
> http://www.gilesbathgate.com/2010/06/extracting-2d-mendel-outlines-using-openscad/

Yes, I found that projection technique, I just wasn't sure it was The Way.

> You will have to dimension it manually in your 2D cad package though...

Isn't this a little...strange? I mean, OpenSCAD is for CAD and it knows
the dimensions. There's no way to label them? Is that on the roadmap?

Thinking about it a little more, I guess it kind of makes sense. I could
put my dimensions in an include file. I describe the geometry for
OpenSCAD and render 3D and 2D drawings. Then I have a separate
script/program read that same include file and put labels on the 2D
drawing. "Do one thing well."