[OpenSCAD] how to dimension?

David Rysdam david at rysdam.org
Fri Jun 17 16:13:16 CEST 2011

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 13:49:49 +0100, nop head <nop.head at gmail.com> wrote:
> With openscad you normally put the dimensions in the source code and it
> creates objects with those dimensions. You can also make it draw dimension
> lines to match those dimensions as Gavilan does here:
> http://blog.onshoulders.org/BlogEntryDetails.php?blogID=tv&blogEntryId=95

When I watched that video like a week ago, I remember him doing
dimension lines. Skipping through it now, though, I can't find that segment.

> It is possibly not the right tool for pulling in objects and measuring them.

I realize most people are using it to create something for use by a 3D
printer-type arrangement, where shown dimensions aren't an
issue. However, I'd like to use it to produce drawings for use in the
workshop. I could use a more traditional CAD program, but I like the
"programmer's interface" to a CAD program. For one thing, I already know
how to program, so I don't have to learn anything else.

Since that feature doesn't exist, maybe I should submit a patch...