[OpenSCAD] BOM generation; SolidPython available

nop head nop.head at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 14:25:42 CET 2011

> Might also want to check out ThingDoc.
>
> https://github.com/prusajr/ThingDoc
>
> Creates BOMs and eventually I believe it will do assembly instructions
> for multi-part objects.
>
> PS: Since it's written in Python, this could fit in right with what
> you're doing. Also I believe someone has already suggested it to
> nophead.
>
> Yes Josef suggested it to me. It produces nice output but it requires you
to manually mark up the opnscad source with quantities and uses information.
What I am doing is putting echo statements in the vitamins and printed parts
and also "begin" / "end" in modules that are sub assemblies. That way I
automatically get a hierarchical BOM, but in an ugly form. I plan to write
write a simple python script to parse it and add up the totals, etc. I may
well output that information to Josef's Thingdoc to get a nice output
format.

The only issue is the openscad echo function is odd in that it outputs the
comma and quotes. E.g. echo("Hello", a,b); where a is 1 and b is 2 will
produce ECHO: "Hello",1,2 whereas I would expect ECHO: Hello 1 2. It would
be nice if it worked just like Python's print including redirection to a
file.

Do the Python bindings allow a tree made with openscad source to be
traversed in Python to search for echo statements, or perhaps a dummy module
or function. That would be a cleaner way to do it.