[OpenSCAD] BOM generation; SolidPython available

Evan T. Jones evan_t_jones at mac.com
Wed Mar 9 17:46:24 CET 2011

  	I suspect that Ian Daniher's PyScad may have the capacity to traverse an OpenSCAD-generated tree.  The SolidPython Python => OpenSCAD compiler could not do such a thing.

For your purposes, if you want the fastest solution for what sounds like a significant body of code, your best route is probably to post-process your echo() calls, just like you've planned.

Having been in your shoes, ("I've written this OpenSCAD code.  Now I want to do something else fancy. Oh... it's really hard to do that in OpenSCAD")   I think the best route forward in the future is to write code in a general purpose language.

I hate seeing us all working hard reinventing wheels ( Tables! Bitmapped fonts! Decorators!) when we could just be making more bitchin' models.  So here's to bitchin' models....