[OpenSCAD] BOM generation; SolidPython available

Kevin Mehall km at kevinmehall.net
Wed Mar 9 18:31:16 CET 2011

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 11:46 AM, Evan T. Jones <evan_t_jones at mac.com> wrote:

>        I suspect that Ian Daniher's PyScad may have the capacity to
> traverse an OpenSCAD-generated tree.  The SolidPython Python => OpenSCAD
> compiler could not do such a thing.

In PySCAD we currently only have one-way conversion from Python to OpenSCAD
trees. It works by bypassing OpenSCAD's parser and generating the tree in
Python instead.

PySCAD will soon have an equivalent to OpenSCAD's include statement to use
the OpenSCAD parser to bring in code.  That would allow PySCAD models to use
modules defined in .scad files. If there are compelling use cases for
introspecting imported models in Python, it would be possible to add an API
to map those back to Python objects.