[OpenSCAD] I want to set the viewpoint...

Dan Zuras 3D threedee at nonabelian.com
Mon Mar 28 00:14:37 CEST 2011

> Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 22:39:06 +0100
> Subject: Re: [OpenSCAD] I want to set the viewpoint...
> From: Giles Bathgate <giles.bathgate at gmail.com>
> To: Dan Zuras 3D <threedee at nonabelian.com>, openscad at rocklinux.org

> Simple, from the menu in the GUI choose:
>
> Edit->Paste viewport translation.
>
> Then add to your top level object:
>
> translate([<the viewport translation pasted>]) main();
>
> Do the same for rotate.
>
> A feature to streamline the process would be nice. or perhaps I have
> misunderstood the feature request?
>
> Regards
>
> Giles Bathgate

	Giles,

	I did not know about those GUI entries.
	Thanks.

	Still, I kind of do that now.  I djinn up some
	rotation & translation that gets the entire object
	in view with more or less the right orientation.

	But what I was hoping for was something exact.
	Something that allows me to place the viewpoint
	on the Z-axis looking down at an object centered
	around the origin & generally extending into the
	XY plane.  (Something to be extruded.  Ya know?)

	But you have given me the germ of an idea.

	The current viewpoint is stated as:

		translation = [0,0,0]
		rotation = [55,0,335]
		distance = 500

	Now I suppose I could back out the rotation with:

		rotate([-55,0,-335]) main()

	And then translate the object along Z until its
	scaled correctly.

	Or is that translate & then rotate?

	I won't get the axes correct but I can live with
	that.

	Let me try a few experiments & I'll let you know.

	Thanks,

				Dan