[OpenSCAD] Release showstoppers?

Marius Kintel marius at kintel.net
Sun Nov 6 01:47:49 CET 2011

On Nov 5, 2011, at 22:05 PM, Don Bright wrote:

> 1. some throw DEPRECATED: The import_stl() module will be removed in
> future releases. Use import() instead.

Thanks. Some examples need to be updated.
One problem: The old syntax of reading dxf files using dxf_rotate_extrude(file=...) works differently than the new rotate_extrude() import(...).
The new solution doesn't yet support reading open polylines, which are sometimes used by rotate_extrude code.

> 2. My windows machine has a weird video card; many OpenCSG examples in
> 2011.06 and in HEAD are have missing polygons, back/front problems [...]

I wish we had a good way of debugging this. If you manage to create some minimal examples and send screenshots, it might ring a bell somewhere, but I'm not having excellent hopes :/
It might merely be driver bugs. I know a common way of solving this is to create a database of driver vendors and versions and print error messages if known-to-be-faulty drivers are found.

> 3. Example 6 does freeze my 1G RAM machine for a long time when
> compiling to cgal (so did 2011.06)

Example 6 is a bit nasty. I'll check with older versions if we're really gobbling up a lot more RAM than we used to.
It somehow eats about 1G on my machine, which feels just outrageous.

> 3:echotest_parser-tests
> 45:dumptest_example001

Could you give me the test logs for these?

I would wish for all tests to pass at least once on one known machine of each platform - I guess that's the best we can hope for atm. :/

 -Marius