[OpenSCAD] Importing and using .stl files

Ian Shumsky ian.shumsky at exony.com
Wed Nov 23 11:26:33 CET 2011

Hi,

I would like to use .stl files (created in OpenSCAD) in other projects, however while I can import I can't get the .stl object to compile and render in GCAL. I'm using the latest Windows build (OpenSCAD-2011.11.01-Installer.exe) and to read the .stl file I use the import command:

  import ("foo.stl", convexity = 4);

I can then preview this (with an F5 compile) and see the object. With the same command when I try the F6 "compile and render in GCAL" option I receive the following warning message:

  Parsing design (AST generation)...
  Compiling design (CSG Tree generation)...
  Compilation finished.
  Rendering Polygon Mesh using CGAL...
  PolySets in cache: 3
  Polygons in cache: 41406
  CGAL Polyhedrons in cache: 5
  Vertices in cache: 24
  Total rendering time: 0 hours, 0 minutes, 0 seconds
  WARNING: No top level geometry to render

I guess there is some additional syntax needed, but I can't figure out what it should be. All help appreciated!

Cheers,
Ian