[OpenSCAD] Misc bugs

nop head nop.head at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 09:45:42 CEST 2011

On 11 September 2011 07:56, Marius Kintel <marius at kintel.net> wrote:
> On Sep 11, 2011, at 08:35 AM, nop head wrote:
>
>> Has anybody found the problem where after multiple reloads it crashes?
>
> I haven't heard anyone managing to reproduce that crash. I've tried repeatedly to get it to crash using your minimal example.
> Do you get any additional information about the crash?

I have render() statements in all my modules, perhaps that is
something to do with it. I am modelling a full reprap machine down to
the nut and bolt level and that seems to be the only way to handle it
in openscad. I work on individual modules without the render()
statement as it is too slow to see changes with it. I render() them
when they are pulled into the main assembly, otherwise it is too slow
to move it around. It also looks a lot better because the opencsg
preview produces ghost pixels where negative objects are (i.e. things
that have been subtracted).

> I assume you're using the Windows binaries, so it's hard to get a stack trace out of it?

Yes I recently got a new PC solely to render this model and it is
Windows7. I get some vague message that the program has stopped
working.

> If you could reproduce it under Mac or Linux, it would make it debuggable for us :)

All my Ubuntu machines have trashed themselves updating at one time or
another :)

> Kliment: Would it be trivial to build a Windows debug build which produce a reasonable stacktrace on crash?

This is something I have done in the past with Visual studio and
WinDbg. IIRC I added a Microsoft supplied DLL to the release mode
program and that produced a crash dump. I saved the PDB file when the
program was compiled that, with the crash file, could be used to show
where it crashed. I will see if I can dig out the details when I am at
work tomorrow. It was about 8 years ago that I last did this sort of
thing so the method may be well out of date.