[OpenSCAD] Capabilities of OpenSCAD - newbie question

Andrew Plumb andrew at plumb.org
Thu Apr 12 20:18:29 CEST 2012

I'd start by looking into Blender.  It has the flexible mesh editor hooks and scripting capabilities.  Lots of documentation and how-to videos and tutorials out there via the extended CGI community too.

Andrew.

On 2012-04-12, at 2:11 PM, Heather Dewey-Hagborg wrote:

> ah, ok good to know. any suggestions for open source tools that would be more appropriate?
>
> On Apr 12, 2012 1:52 PM, "Whosawhatsis" <whosawhatsis at gmail.com> wrote:
> Openscad is a pure solid modeler. It does not work with points at all, and many of its operations can get pretty slow when working with imported STL data. Unfortunately, it sounds like OpenSCAD is the wrong tool for what you want to do.
> On Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 10:14 AM, Heather Dewey-Hagborg wrote:
>
>> I am wondering if I should pursue the OpenSCAD path for a specific project, and any input would be greatly appreciated!
>> What I want to do is import head scans as STLs or lists of vertices, and then to operate on the data structures as matrices, generating different possible heads, and then to output these as STL files to 3D print.
>> Does this sound possible in OpenSCAD or should I go down another path?
>>
>> thanks!
>> Heather

"The future is already here.  It's just not very evenly distributed" -- William Gibson

Me: http://clothbot.com/wiki/