[OpenSCAD] Linux package

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 17:25:34 CET 2012

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 12:57 AM, Michael Ambrus <ambrmi09 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Tried out 3D hull for my simplified boat model. Really sweet. Now all
> that's needed to complete the real model is an automated laser
> distance meter for the intersections.
>
> Anybody have a hint for such a device with an RS232/USB output?

What accuracy?  What range of distances?

"Real" LIDAR-based laser rangefinders (used, among other things, for
autonomous robots) are several thousand dollars.  There's a $400
hobby-grade option, if you buy a Neato XV-11 and either talk through
the robot, or dismount and use the onboard laser rangefinder.  I wish
they would sell it separately, but more than a year out, you still
have to buy the whole robot to get the rangefinder.  It has 1-degree
angular resolution and sweeps the entire arc at about 10Hz.

The rangefinder itself is TTL serial, 115000 bps.  Easy to talk to
directly.  The protocol's been hacked.

Alternately, for something less encapsulated, one could mount a
construction-grade rangefinder on a manual or stepper-motor rotary
platform and get numbers that way, but I don't know of an
off-the-shelf device to simplify the process.

-ethan