[OpenSCAD] File caching

nop head nop.head at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 11:46:56 CET 2012

On 15 February 2012 10:38, Marius Kintel <marius at kintel.net> wrote:

> On Feb 15, 2012, at 11:34 AM, nop head wrote:
>
> > But how can a compiled module have a syntax error in it?
> >
> If it has a syntax error, it cannot be compiled and thus shouldn't be
> cached.

Yes but how can a syntax error be cached if it only caches compiled code?
It is reporting as syntax error with a line number. Surely all that info is
gone once it is in the compiled form?

Bugs happen though - our task to make sure we only fix each bug once, hence
> regression testing.

It is hard to see how this is a simple bug. It appears to remember the
textual contents of a file but you say it only caches the compiled version.
 Does the compiled version remember syntax errors and file include paths
and try to reuse them?

This explains all my problems. Yes it doesn't track dependencies, but I can
handle those myself by touching files, or simply loading them into
openscad. The big problems I have is with it maintaining multiple copies of
files, which is very confusing and it doesn't get fixed by flushing the
cache.