[OpenSCAD] Exporting colors

Bob Cousins bobcousins42 at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 19 21:37:22 CET 2012

Hi all,

Long time lurker here!

I know in the past there has been discussion on adding colors to
models, and while nice is not so useful for printing. However, I would
like to create parameterised models for KiCAD (PCB components) which
would benefit from colors.

I tried converting STL to VRML via Meshlab and ran into several
problems, so I have written a quick C# program to convert ASCII STL to
VRML format required by KiCAD, which works quite nicely. Now to add
color...

Therefore I want to check the current state, and see what I can do to
help. AFAIK there is no color support in any of the formats exported
by OpenSCAD, please correct me if I am wrong!

I think one option is to add binary STL which does have color, or
maybe to export VRML directly from OpenSCAD, retaining color
information. This would eliminate an extra step.

In the meantime I will have a go at building OpenSCAD from source.

Regards