[OpenSCAD] ImplicitCAD 0.0.1

Gordon Wrigley gordon.wrigley at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 01:48:14 CET 2012

I find this quite interesting from a tech point of view.
>From what I've seen of the code, OpenSCAD's core representation of a 3d
solid object seems to be seems to be a triangle mesh of the objects shell.
By contrast the ImplicitCAD core representation as I understand it is a
function over space indicating whether a particular point is in or out of
the object.
It seems to me that ImplicitCAD's representation is much closer to the
objects being modeled.
With a triangle mesh of the shell there is little difference between a
point inside the shell, a point outside the shell and poorly formed mesh
that doesn't have an inside or outside and doesn't represent a 3d solid.
In ImplictCAD these things are fundamental, you can't represent something
that isn't a 3d solid and there can be no doubt about what is inside and
what is outside.
That difference has all sorts of interesting implications. It should for
example eliminate most of the potential sources of non manifold output. It
also enables the rounded operations mentioned.
I wonder what the draw backs are, one obvious one is that our primary
outputs (STL and 3D rendering) are both triangle mesh formats.