[OpenSCAD] Android port

Don Bright hugh.m.bright at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 01:14:01 CET 2012

OpenSCAD requires the following

eigen2
GMP
MPFR
Boost
CGAL
OpenCSG
QT

I have created 'hello world' programs for eigen2, GMP, MPFR, and
Boost, but never made it to CGAL or OpenCSG. You can find them here if
interested:

https://github.com/donbright/

There are many ways to set up cross-compilation, my way is probably
not the best. Many other people have also done work on android with
boost, eigen, gmp, and mpfr

CGAL, I am not so sure about.

CGAL's main problem is that it's compilation requires the running of a
'test suite' - i.e. during the build process, it builds a lot of
mini-programs, runs them, and reads the results back, and uses those
results to set flags for the build. For this to work in a
cross-compilation environment, you need to instead cross-compile the
little mini programs, transfer them to the target platform, run them,
then transfer the results back. Then you need to get CGAL's build
scripts to read those results in from a file.

I'm also guessing that CGAL might have issues with
CGAL-3.x/include/CGAL/FPU.h, but I'm not sure.

As for OpenCSG, well, it basically requires offscreen GL Framebuffer
Objects, which Im pretty sure are not a part of OpenGL ES 1.0, so
anything below Android 2.2 is not going to work.

Another problem is that the Android Emulator does not work with OpenGL
ES 2.0, so you (currently, Jan 2012) have to have an android phone if
you want to really test any OpenGL ES 2.0 programs.

Also, porting OpenSCAD's regression tests to android is a problem. Are
you going to run the whole thing - ctest, python, Imagemagic, etc, all
on android? It might be easier to just simply run the openscad test
program on android, and transfer the input and output files back and
forth through 'adb', rather than trying to run the whole mess on
android itself.

This might not be too hairy - we can already run the Windows
regression tests from inside of Linux, without needing Imagemagick or
Python or Ctest to be installed inside of Wine.

Good Luck to whoever tries this.

-DB