[OpenSCAD] feature request: centering axes independently

Giles Bathgate giles.bathgate at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 09:37:53 CEST 2012

> how should that work? what's the "center" of a generic object? even if
> we had bounding box information at hand (which, afaik, we don't),

While we don't have bbox information for use within AST evaluation we
do have bbox information at CSG evaluation time. Its simply a case of
enumerating all the points and finding xmin ymin zmin and xmax ymax zmax.

> cartesian bbox is not interchangable with rotation. if you have, for
> example, a cone tilted around its original bbox center, how would you
> find its new center?

The bounding box of a rotated cone would not conform to the tilted cone
in the sense that the bounding box would also be tilted. It would be a
new bounding box coplanar with the xy axis containing the extremities
of the tilted cone. This makes sense to me..

I have almost finished implementing this in RapCAD, you can see my
reference implementation when I check it in some time this evening.

Regards

Giles