[OpenSCAD] Thought Process Question

Ed Nisley ed.08.nisley at pobox.com
Tue May 1 14:31:48 CEST 2012

On Mon, 2012-04-30 at 15:53 -0700, M W wrote:
> What are units.scad and useful sizes.scad used for?

The units.scad file comes from (IIRC) the MCAD library and has some
conversions between inches & mm and suchlike. The "useful sizes.scad"
file has similar dimensional odds & ends I've collected along the way.

Mercifully, 1 OpenSCAD unit = 1 mm of plastic.

> having to manually lower your design
> to touch the bed the printer prints on

I find it's easier to design models that are symmetric around the origin
(or at least oriented for easiest tweaking), then orient & position them
as needed for printing. Most things have several parts, anyway, so the
complete model never gets printed.

> The whole 3D printer world seems to still be evolving

You are obviously the Perfect Master of Understatement... [grin]

--
Ed
http://softsolder.com