[OpenSCAD] Next Questions

tjhowse tjhowse at gmail.com
Thu May 3 09:10:40 CEST 2012

The plastic in the interior of the part, known as infill, is determined by
the program used to process the model into machine code. This process is
often referred to as "skeining" or "slicing" the model. This process has
nothing to do with OpenSCAD. The most popular slicer for repraps these days
is Slic3r.

In answer to your first question: Yes. If you set the infill ratio to 1,
the part will be entirely solid. Most parts are printed with infill ratios
of somewhere between 0.2 and 0.6.

In answer to your second: There are new experimental plastics coming out
these days that use admixtures to alter the properties of the plastic, such
as making them more tolerant to flexing. I'm pretty sure that ordinary ABS
won't stand up to much flexing before failure, depending on how much flex
is going on. There are designs that create hinges that have small local
flex to give a large total flex, called "living hinges":
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:13255